2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

my opinion...shelby gt500 will not hold value

Search this Thread

Old 12/28/06, 05:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
i had a long talk with a fellow car enthusiast.

we both conclude that the premiums prices people are paying and the number of shelby gt500's being produced, it will not holds its value.

then when there is a mustang body/model update and another shelby GT500 comes out, it will further hurt the value.

i think if you really want a shelby gt500, wait a little while til these RICH dudes who bought them get bored and start selling

what does everyone else think?

i wish i was RICH! then all this "value" wouldnt matter. Extra $15-20K would be a drop in a bucket for me
I disagree, for one reason the S197 body style will not be returning for the next Shelby. I think this car with this body style will always hold a collectors value due to the fact that we may never get another Mustang like this. Smaller and lighter seems the way to go but the S197 will always be loved and remembered, especially the fastest one.
Old 12/28/06, 07:40 PM
Closet American

I don't think these current Shelby GT500s will hold their value to the same extent as the originals, and here's why >>

- They are retro copies of what was, in the 1960s - an original idea. There is a great deal of nostalgia for MANY 50s and 60s pop culture motifs right now, from automobiles, to the return of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture, to 60s TV shows being turned into movies, to fashion even. But I'm not convinced that people will look back 40 years from now and be especially interested in the nostalgia trend that gripped the first decade of the 21st century.

- I suspect that by 2047 our world will be in the grip of a full scale environmental calamity, and that all efforts will be focused on fixing the problem through sustainability. Retro inspired fossil fuel-burning muscle cars may be maligned by our children, and children's children at that point.

- There is far greater global marketplace competition in the performance car realm now - people have many more choices coming from all corners of the globe. In the '60s, the only real muscle machines came from Detroit.

- Shelby is not the only pro tuner out there anymore, with competition from Roush, Saleen, Steeda, etc. diluting some of Shelby's cachet, I believe (in fact, didn't I read somewhere that some of the components in the GT500 are made by Roush or Steeda - so you have what amounts to an SVT Cobra with input from one of Shelby's "competitors," and Mr. Shelby's name on it). In the '60s, Carroll designed and modified these vehicles himself - now his participation is peripheral. So even though the GT500 is an "official" Shelby, it may become a point of contention as to whether or not these cars are "real" Shelbys, beyond what the badge says.

- And of course, the oft-stated volume difference - far more of the contemporary version of this car being manufactured than the original Shelbys.
Old 12/28/06, 08:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by JETSOLVER
The originals were predicated on racing homogation specials, and were pretty raw cars. As such, not many people could afford them, and they make for a pretty tiresome drive(no power anything, no sat radio, no DVD or heated seats, you know)

There was also the little matter of the fuel crisis. By 1974, people where doing thier usual panic reaction and crushing these cars to be recycled into new Rotary trucks and CheVettes. In a new and honoured tradition, people let media hype and past trends dictate what they did even though it was not in their best interests or even passed a rational examination. Sound familiar?

Any cars that make it through the media onslaught and the resulting government regulations were kept purely out of respect for actual hands on racing history, not a thirty year old memory of somebody elses derring-do. Most who had the wherewithal to buy a muscle car new got rid of them as they grew into families and needed a car that could do something more than stoplight to stoplight. As well, most of the muscle cars were based on some pretty run of the mill cars, and so parts were worth far more than the car as a whole.

Finally, check the numbers. There were darn few of those legends made(say a few hundred instead of the 18 000 GT500's already commited to+ Shelby GT's numbering about what 5000?) and very few survived. As well, despite appearances, Baby boomers are finally a declining group, and the number of people for whom Shelby has any meaning, let alone one that would command a 20+ thousand dollar premium is limited and getting smaller with every passing day.(as Ford builds another few dozen for the BBQ, and less and less people realize they JUST HAVE TO HAVE a 500 horsepower toy)

If you want a colllectors car, an unmolested 10th anniversary SVT COBRA ragtop will way outlast the GT500, and even the vaunted Shelby GT(which actually has Shelby in, er, on it) is going to be seriously outdone by the Saleen P. J. edition in terms of content, rarity, and value. All the stickers, badges, and plaques in the world can't change the fact that the originals were an afterthought, and the new ones are most assuradly not.
Well stated!!
Old 12/29/06, 04:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by outdoorstom
Tell me you're kidding. I've planned my whole retirement around selling my GT years from now.

Allright, I almost squrted beer out my nose. Sarcasism is great sometime...
Old 12/29/06, 05:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing that also makes the old Shelby's worth a few bucks today is that alot of them got destroyed.....they were driven like regular cars, raced, blown up, parked outside in the elements.......They became extinct.......not a lot of originals left!!!!.......The All New GT500's are being driven out of the delaership right into someones heated garage and covered with velvet ropes around it.....How ever many ford produces will be the amount in circulation........It's the rarity of the car that makes it valubale.....A case of supply and demand is in effect right now......as for the future.......only time will tell.......One thing I have noticed almost consistently is that it seems to be the items that you wouldn't suspect to be of valuble in the future become the real things of value.......Old comic books years and years ago are worth tremendous amounts of money but new comic books today are worth nothing.......why?????....because everyone who buys the new comics store it away for safe keeping........everyone stores them!!!!!.......so there's so many in existence..........83-93 Mustang Gt's in original condition are starting to increase big time in value.......why?????.....Well if you like Mustangs then you know why..........They're becoming extinct......raced, hacked, butcherd, blown up......you want to buy a low cost investment that will pay off then buy a 83-93 Mustang GT in original condition and leave it alone!!!!......Those cars are truly becoming extinct.
Old 12/29/06, 07:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by black sunshine
One thing that also makes the old Shelby's worth a few bucks today is that alot of them got destroyed.....they were driven like regular cars, raced, blown up, parked outside in the elements.......They became extinct.......not a lot of originals left!!!!.......The All New GT500's are being driven out of the delaership right into someones heated garage and covered with velvet ropes around it.....How ever many ford produces will be the amount in circulation........It's the rarity of the car that makes it valubale.....A case of supply and demand is in effect right now......as for the future.......only time will tell.......One thing I have noticed almost consistently is that it seems to be the items that you wouldn't suspect to be of valuble in the future become the real things of value.......Old comic books years and years ago are worth tremendous amounts of money but new comic books today are worth nothing.......why?????....because everyone who buys the new comics store it away for safe keeping........everyone stores them!!!!!.......so there's so many in existence..........83-93 Mustang Gt's in original condition are starting to increase big time in value.......why?????.....Well if you like Mustangs then you know why..........They're becoming extinct......raced, hacked, butcherd, blown up......you want to buy a low cost investment that will pay off then buy a 83-93 Mustang GT in original condition and leave it alone!!!!......Those cars are truly becoming extinct.
Have noticed the same thing with the 83-93 GTs. The Red interior ones and the White ones are most valued in my area. Low miles, unmolested Warrentied Cobras of late are still selling here for 30s.

Rarety + Demand = Value.

For any item - be it Land, Vehicles, Art, Diamonds, etc.

If the Shelbys are raced, damaged, modified and the amount of them left in the future years are relatively small compared to the original production, then these facts will contribute to determination of their monatary value.

As for today and the different era we live in compared to the 60s, i say pay what it is worth to you to have, share and enjoy of any item, not for what you think it might be worth later.

A saying in the sales world;- Any Item of value is worth only what a given Buyer is willing to pay for it.
Old 12/29/06, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
To add to what I posted above Ford is not in business to make "rare" cars.......Ford is in the business to make money....period!!!!!.......can anyone argue against that????....I'm sure some will (ignorance).....and lets's face it, Ford is not doing so great right now from a financial stand point......on the conterary to what Ford says I firmly believe they will make a GT500 for anyone who wants to buy one.......Why would they want to stop at a certain production number for a car that is selling 20,000 over sticker.....They want money and the're going to get it anyway they can.
Old 12/29/06, 11:14 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
They'll hold their MSRP value to some degree, but everyone will be losing their a$$ on the upcharges. If you want an investment, look into mutual funds, property, etc., Don't buy a GT500 thinking that one day you'll make money. That's ridiculous... IMO.
Agreed...

that's why to me, the "resale" value of a car is irrelevant. My Mustang is a fun toy for me, and I don't plan to sell it. By and large, buying a car is rarely a good investment.
Old 12/31/06, 04:01 PM

Smile

This is my first time on this sight. I got my GT 500 in October and love it. I did have to pay a little over sticker but anyone that got their name in early could have got the same deal. I could have got it at sticker at another dealer but already put money down. I did not buy mine as an investment, I do drive mine on weekends that are not raining. Their is one other guy that has one that lives close to me. He drives his every day rain or shine. He had a little bad luck with his The day he got it he was going down the highway next to a 18 wheeler that had a blow when he was going by and took out the side of his car. He had it fixed and you cant tell. Oh by the way seems like a cool sight
Old 12/31/06, 04:07 PM

Smile

This is my first time on this sight. I got my GT 500 in October and love it. I did have to pay a little over sticker but anyone that got their name in early could have got the same deal. I could have got it at sticker at another dealer but already put money down. I did not buy mine as an investment, I do drive mine on weekends that are not raining. Their is one other guy that has one that lives close to me. He drives his every day rain or shine. He had a little bad luck with his. The day he got it he was going down the highway next to a 18 wheeler that had a tire blow when he was going by and took out the side of his car. He had it fixed and you cant tell. Oh by the way seems like a cool sight
Old 12/31/06, 04:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc's GT500
This is my first time on this sight. I got my GT 500 in October and love it. I did have to pay a little over sticker but anyone that got their name in early could have got the same deal. I could have got it at sticker at another dealer but already put money down. I did not buy mine as an investment, I do drive mine on weekends that are not raining. Their is one other guy that has one that lives close to me. He drives his every day rain or shine. He had a little bad luck with his The day he got it he was going down the highway next to a 18 wheeler that had a blow when he was going by and took out the side of his car. He had it fixed and you cant tell. Oh by the way seems like a cool sight
Welcome Marc !
It sounds like you did well on buying your car.
Just like the first '05 buyers you got a great car for only a little more than what they should have asked for it.
Worth it to get what you want.
I don't really care what my car is worth cuz I'm keeping it as long as I can.
Old 12/31/06, 05:49 PM
Cobra R Member

Not trying to be morbid, but I have to wonder how big the "value" spike will be when Mr. Shelby is no longer with us. The original Shelbys are already through the roof - well beyond what Joe Average can touch.

I also would expect anything the he has signed to certainly increase...
Old 1/2/07, 09:42 AM
Mach 1 Member

Congrats on your GT500. i too, enjoy and show on the weekends and days it is not raining. On an occaisional Friday, i roll her to work and the odd street show here. Luckily, i have a daily car and no need to run the GT500 in the rain.

Here in the city, One learns to change lanes or stagger larger vehicles to avoid side swipe or tire debris. My 05 daily car has faired no paint chips subsequent to employing this practise.
Old 1/2/07, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by red454
Not trying to be morbid, but I have to wonder how big the "value" spike will be when Mr. Shelby is no longer with us. The original Shelbys are already through the roof - well beyond what Joe Average can touch.

I also would expect anything the he has signed to certainly increase...
Shelby's death may affect valuation, but it is unclear in what way. Traditionally, it has helped the monatary value after a course of years. Only time will tell the impact on this value.
Old 1/2/07, 10:55 AM
Cobra Member

Cars are very fickle investments. When I was in college (early 80's) there were several students that drove original Shelbys as daily drivers. They were in the Sports Car Club that I was in, one was a GT350, one a GT500 and the other a GT500 vert! They were maybe worth 15k back then. Now they're solidly in the 6 figures, but that could easily change. Those of us that grew up around muscle cars are driving the Barrett Jackson phenom right now, but what happens when we're retired and our kids are buying? Will they be interested in the same muscle as us? No. Just like we don't have much interest in 40's and 50's muscle, our kids are probably not going to care about 60's and 70's muscle. The prices will likely suffer because of it.

Don't buy a new Shelby or any car as an investment, put your investment money in REAL investments such as mutual funds. If you have some play money left over, then buy a new Shelby just to enjoy for yourself and don't worry about its future value.
Old 1/2/07, 12:59 PM
V6 Member

I think the Shelby GT will be the better investment. That car has more hands on work from Shelby than the GT500. These are actually sent to the Shelby factory while the GT500 comes off the line from Ford.
Old 1/2/07, 02:48 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Correct! with in 12 months the 07 GT500's will be selling used in the mid 30's . by 08 there will be more competition in the retro muscle car market ! Camero, Challenger and etc, will eat in to high end Mustang sales! but in the long run this will be great for the true Mustang enthusiast!
I hope so. Then price of Shelby GT will go down and I will be able to afford it.
Old 1/4/07, 03:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by black sunshine
My best friend in Georgia has a 93 5.0 LX coupe with an auto, totally unmollested. He bought it new in December of 92 and it is in mint condition to this day. It's Silver Frost w/med red interior. This man has had so many offer and will not part with that car for nothing..
Old 1/4/07, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Congrats on the "Top Gun" Stang. Welcome abroard!
Old 1/4/07, 08:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's my 2 cents on this I originally posted this back on 13 Sep 06....

Everyone just wait the mark up will go away in a year or so the GT's (the GT's not Mustang GT's) were well over MSRP and the last few at my local Ford dealer went for MSRP.

Go over to the Mach 1 registry a do a search and you will see those were well over MSRP for the first year.....

Do a search here and look a the 05 Mustangs they were over MSRP........

The folks that have deep pockets or no sense are buying now the market for Shelby’s will become saturated we now have GT 500's, the Shelby GT and next year we might have a Boss along with these cars. Ford said they are committed to building 7500-9000 GT 500 in the next 3 years........

Have a little patience..... Good things come to those who wait..........

Quick Reply: my opinion...shelby gt500 will not hold value