2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

my opinion...shelby gt500 will not hold value

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/06, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my opinion...shelby gt500 will not hold value

i had a long talk with a fellow car enthusiast.

we both conclude that the premiums prices people are paying and the number of shelby gt500's being produced, it will not holds its value.

then when there is a mustang body/model update and another shelby GT500 comes out, it will further hurt the value.

i think if you really want a shelby gt500, wait a little while til these RICH dudes who bought them get bored and start selling

what does everyone else think?

i wish i was RICH! then all this "value" wouldnt matter. Extra $15-20K would be a drop in a bucket for me
Old 12/27/06, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

everyone in is entitled to an opinion, Only time will tell, but I think the odds are with the GT500. I'll be surprised if it does not maintain a collectors value.
Old 12/27/06, 06:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YaoNYC
i had a long talk with a fellow car enthusiast.

we both conclude that the premiums prices people are paying and the number of shelby gt500's being produced, it will not holds its value.

then when there is a mustang body/model update and another shelby GT500 comes out, it will further hurt the value.

i think if you really want a shelby gt500, wait a little while til these RICH dudes who bought them get bored and start selling

what does everyone else think?

i wish i was RICH! then all this "value" wouldnt matter. Extra $15-20K would be a drop in a bucket for me
Correct! with in 12 months the 07 GT500's will be selling used in the mid 30's . by 08 there will be more competition in the retro muscle car market ! Camero, Challenger and etc, will eat in to high end Mustang sales! but in the long run this will be great for the true Mustang enthusiast!
Old 12/27/06, 07:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I would tend to agree, the values will come down just like any other modern vehicle. They may not drop as fast as some other cars but they WILL go down.

After a number of years go by, say 15-20, unmolested, unabused, low mileage, stock GT500's may command a bit of a premium.
Old 12/27/06, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

They will hold thier value about as much as a Vette. Higher than most used cars, but I dont think they will ever be held in the same high regard as a early GT350.
Old 12/27/06, 09:05 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

They'll hold their MSRP value to some degree, but everyone will be losing their a$$ on the upcharges. If you want an investment, look into mutual funds, property, etc., Don't buy a GT500 thinking that one day you'll make money. That's ridiculous... IMO.
Old 12/27/06, 09:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by blkstang06
Correct! with in 12 months the 07 GT500's will be selling used in the mid 30's . by 08 there will be more competition in the retro muscle car market ! Camero, Challenger and etc, will eat in to high end Mustang sales! but in the long run this will be great for the true Mustang enthusiast!
I suspect used GT500s will be selling in the upper 30's or low 40's in 12 months....but I hope you're right and I'm wrong.
Old 12/27/06, 10:32 PM
Closet American

The joke is on those paying the idiotic **** lubrication tax; they're getting hosed, plain and simple. While the GT500 will definitely hold its value better than a GT, it will never command the premiums of the original '60s Shelbys for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being that the '60s were a different era, characterized by different circumstances.

I suspect that by the time the current Shelby is 40 years old, fossil fuel burning antiques may be frowned upon by an energy conscious world whose main concern is environmental survival.
Old 12/28/06, 03:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
The joke is on those paying the idiotic **** lubrication tax; they're getting hosed, plain and simple. While the GT500 will definitely hold its value better than a GT, it will never command the premiums of the original '60s Shelbys for a multitude of reasons, not the least of which being that the '60s were a different era, characterized by different circumstances.

I suspect that by the time the current Shelby is 40 years old, fossil fuel burning antiques may be frowned upon by an energy conscious world whose main concern is environmental survival.
Tell me you're kidding. I've planned my whole retirement around selling my GT years from now.

Old 12/28/06, 04:52 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by outdoorstom
Tell me you're kidding. I've planned my whole retirement around selling my GT years from now.

I was just joking. All of these current Mustangs are GREAT investments. You should buy a couple more of them...at least.

Old 12/28/06, 06:47 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I think they will hold their value better than most, but will come down. Should be able to find a Shelby in a couple of years in the mid to low 30's. The Challenger and Camaro should have an impact as well. But for now, the Mustang doesn't really have any competition. No more GTO, and the Corvette isn't really in the same apple basket.
Old 12/28/06, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

... it will never command the premiums of the original '60s Shelbys for a multitude of reasons...
And what would those reasons be exactly?

You may be right, but you don't really know. So, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

My theory is that this time around it is not actually built by Shelby Automobiles, Inc. That and higher production numbers. That is two...what are the remaining multitude of reasons?
Old 12/28/06, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tech

You may be right, but you don't really know. So, I'd like to hear your reasoning.

My theory is that this time around it is not actually built by Shelby Automobiles, Inc. That and higher production numbers. That is two...what are the remaining multitude of reasons?
I can jump in and give you several reasons because I dont think they will go up in value over the years either.

1. They are making alot more of them, one for everyone who wants one. Right?
2. The orginials were bought to drive, not as investments.
3. Performance is here to stay, the current GT500s will be old news in a few years. ie: Compare the value of a 2000 vs 2007 Vette.
4. As stated, competition. When GM and Mopar bring thier offerings to the market, the GT500 will lose some of the market share.
Old 12/28/06, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BurntPony
I can jump in and give you several reasons because I dont think they will go up in value over the years either.

1. They are making alot more of them, one for everyone who wants one. Right?
2. The orginials were bought to drive, not as investments.
3. Performance is here to stay, the current GT500s will be old news in a few years. ie: Compare the value of a 2000 vs 2007 Vette.
4. As stated, competition. When GM and Mopar bring thier offerings to the market, the GT500 will lose some of the market share.
Two good points, two not so good:
1. Exactly, but I already said that (trying not so sound like an A-hole)
2. Yeah, but they didn't drive that well. Compared to today it's apples and oranges. Compared to tomorrow, same stuff. For the most part, people are buying this car to drive it and have some fun. If someone is buying a car as an investment they need to get their head examined. Unless it's already worth more than it was when it was new and has a known potential to be worth more. There are plenty of other things that are wise investment decisions. However, it seems like the GT500 "flippers" are making a quick buck.
3. Not really, gasoline will become a thing of the past and will be replaced by another source. The most popular theory is ethanol, which currently does not provide the same performance potential or fuel economy as gasoline. Mixed with gasoline...maybe close. But, it's still going to cost a pretty penny, much more than gas costs now. Fuel sippers will take over the market.
4. Most likely you're right. But, this has all happened in the past and the popular Mopars, Chevys and Fords are all worth a boat load now. Of course, the new muscle cars could all be worth nothing in the future. No one really knows.
Old 12/28/06, 12:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

If you look already, when the car first came out, i'd say the average sale was around 75k, now it sems a few months later the average selling price is around 65k. Still way more then its worth IMO, but it is already going downa nd the 08's arn't out yet.
Old 12/28/06, 01:14 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by tech
The originals were predicated on racing homogation specials, and were pretty raw cars. As such, not many people could afford them, and they make for a pretty tiresome drive(no power anything, no sat radio, no DVD or heated seats, you know)

There was also the little matter of the fuel crisis. By 1974, people where doing thier usual panic reaction and crushing these cars to be recycled into new Rotary trucks and CheVettes. In a new and honoured tradition, people let media hype and past trends dictate what they did even though it was not in their best interests or even passed a rational examination. Sound familiar?

Any cars that make it through the media onslaught and the resulting government regulations were kept purely out of respect for actual hands on racing history, not a thirty year old memory of somebody elses derring-do. Most who had the wherewithal to buy a muscle car new got rid of them as they grew into families and needed a car that could do something more than stoplight to stoplight. As well, most of the muscle cars were based on some pretty run of the mill cars, and so parts were worth far more than the car as a whole.

Finally, check the numbers. There were darn few of those legends made(say a few hundred instead of the 18 000 GT500's already commited to+ Shelby GT's numbering about what 5000?) and very few survived. As well, despite appearances, Baby boomers are finally a declining group, and the number of people for whom Shelby has any meaning, let alone one that would command a 20+ thousand dollar premium is limited and getting smaller with every passing day.(as Ford builds another few dozen for the BBQ, and less and less people realize they JUST HAVE TO HAVE a 500 horsepower toy)

If you want a colllectors car, an unmolested 10th anniversary SVT COBRA ragtop will way outlast the GT500, and even the vaunted Shelby GT(which actually has Shelby in, er, on it) is going to be seriously outdone by the Saleen P. J. edition in terms of content, rarity, and value. All the stickers, badges, and plaques in the world can't change the fact that the originals were an afterthought, and the new ones are most assuradly not.
Old 12/28/06, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by JETSOLVER
The originals were predicated on racing homogation specials, and were pretty raw cars. As such, not many people could afford them, and they make for a pretty tiresome drive(no power anything, no sat radio, no DVD or heated seats, you know)

There was also the little matter of the fuel crisis. By 1974, people where doing thier usual panic reaction and crushing these cars to be recycled into new Rotary trucks and CheVettes. In a new and honoured tradition, people let media hype and past trends dictate what they did even though it was not in their best interests or even passed a rational examination. Sound familiar?

Any cars that make it through the media onslaught and the resulting government regulations were kept purely out of respect for actual hands on racing history, not a thirty year old memory of somebody elses derring-do. Most who had the wherewithal to buy a muscle car new got rid of them as they grew into families and needed a car that could do something more than stoplight to stoplight. As well, most of the muscle cars were based on some pretty run of the mill cars, and so parts were worth far more than the car as a whole.

Finally, check the numbers. There were darn few of those legends made(say a few hundred instead of the 18 000 GT500's already commited to+ Shelby GT's numbering about what 5000?) and very few survived. As well, despite appearances, Baby boomers are finally a declining group, and the number of people for whom Shelby has any meaning, let alone one that would command a 20+ thousand dollar premium is limited and getting smaller with every passing day.(as Ford builds another few dozen for the BBQ, and less and less people realize they JUST HAVE TO HAVE a 500 horsepower toy)

If you want a colllectors car, an unmolested 10th anniversary SVT COBRA ragtop will way outlast the GT500, and even the vaunted Shelby GT(which actually has Shelby in, er, on it) is going to be seriously outdone by the Saleen P. J. edition in terms of content, rarity, and value. All the stickers, badges, and plaques in the world can't change the fact that the originals were an afterthought, and the new ones are most assuradly not.
Very well put, and I agree with you whole heartedly. Many of the arguments I have heard on this subject fall within the same realm. Sadly, you're explanation is probably true, but I hope you're wrong.
Old 12/28/06, 02:49 PM
Cobra R Member

These rich guys still seem to be bidding these cars up...

last bid 52,100

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

last bid 54,200

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12/28/06, 03:02 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Very well said Rob
Old 12/28/06, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Austin Powers?

Quick Reply: my opinion...shelby gt500 will not hold value