2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

My Budget Suspension Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12/18/09, 12:33 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Budget Suspension Setup

As the title says, yeap.... I'm a budget builder. I don't have deep pockets, so for those on the same boat I am, I hope this helps ya' out. I hit 50k on my 05 and only suspension mods I had on were lowering springs, and camber bolts. Needless to say the ride went to crap, felt every freakin bump.... So I started kickin open catalogs at work (I work for a wholesale auto parts), and searching the forums. I came to these components for my build:
1. S197 GT500 Front Dampers (Struts)
2. KYB Gas-A-Just Rear shocks (p/n:KG5551 off of fox body stangs)
3. CHE Pan Hard Brace
4. BMR Adjustable Pan Hard Bar
5. Steeda Bump Steer Kit
Along with my DAVR Suspension lowering springs I had already (got them from a local manufacturer close to me in Upland, CA), and the camber correction bolts, this setup came out way better than I thought.
The aftermarket goods I got for cheap (classifieds here, and good ole' craigslist), and the shocks were chep as well. All in all the setup came in under $425.00. Took me a couple weeks to get everything and about 4 hours to do the install.
I did the front end install first, only thing I do recommend that I did not do is the GT500 strut mounts/bearing, and a strut tower brace (next on the list). Took it for a test drive and wow, what a difference. Even with the stiffer profile of the GT500 dampers, the ride quality was awesome and it felt like a true performance ride. The wheel response was firmer and the car just felt a lot more connected to the road. Got back home and backed it in, got to work on the rear end components. The KYB's went in without a fuss, only thing different from these (being that they were for the fox body stangs) was the rubber hardware for the top stud and the lower mount to the axle tube was shorter (horizontally), so I had to use some spacers about 1/2" long and a washer (I cut up some 7/16" i.d. steel tubing for the spacers), and I had to re-use the upper mounting bushings from the stock shocks (you can buy a new kit to work for the shocks from Monroe p/n:P1136, or P1475). The install was not dirty, nor mickey mouse. Then the pan hard brace, and pan hard bar went on. Tightened everything up and took it for a spin..... WOW!!! Way better ride and the handling..... AMAZING!!! I have had the chance to work on cars were I installed full on best money can buy suspension components and know what it feels like. To have this budget setup ride along the lines as those expensive components was just plain exciting.
The car is just way more solid than it was, takes corners like a champ. The steering feel is a lot more positive, and body roll is a non issue.
So, anyone who at the moment has shallow pockets and lookin to do a cheap suspension upgrade, I hope this helps you out. If I find somethin that works good for me, I like to spread the word out. Take care fellas!!!
Old 12/19/09, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well done!!! And thanks for the write-up. I'm sure there are a lot of us that don't mind saving a little money in this economy.