2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Are Mustangs Good Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/04, 04:25 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kahdir+June 27, 2004, 10:14 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kahdir @ June 27, 2004, 10:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@June 26, 2004, 10:14 PM
Well, I dunno if imports don't compare. There's lots of imports that'll clean a Mustang's clock, like:

1. Porsche
2. Ferrari
3. Aston Martin
4. Lamborghini
5. Jaguar XK series
6. Bugatti
7. BMW M Series
8. Mercedes AMG Series

...etc...
Hey two on that list are in the Ford family :P [/b][/quote]
They are all GT competitors, you're comparing the wrong Ford.

Old 7/4/04, 07:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned a 66, two 69s, 70, 78, 86, 88, two 90s, 94, two 97s , of which they were all v8 cars and started driving them at 16 so I have really run the crap out of some them and I will tell you they are tough cars, I have owned a few F bodies also and I never really liked the ride or all the rattles that came with them.
Old 7/4/04, 07:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by kevinb120+July 3, 2004, 6:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (kevinb120 @ July 3, 2004, 6:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Kahdir@June 27, 2004, 10:14 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Robert
@June 26, 2004, 10:14 PM
Well, I dunno if imports don't compare. There's lots of imports that'll clean a Mustang's clock, like:

1. Porsche
2. Ferrari
3. Aston Martin
4. Lamborghini
5. Jaguar XK series
6. Bugatti
7. BMW M Series
8. Mercedes AMG Series

...etc...

Hey two on that list are in the Ford family :P
They are all GT competitors, you're comparing the wrong Ford.

[/b][/quote]
Old 7/4/04, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Remember, the Mustang is the only pony car left! That wouldn't have happened if it wasn't a great car. What makes the Mustang affordable is what makes it reliable. They took things already designed and just improved it for the car. The 4.6, 5 speed manual, and 8.8 axle have all been around for awhile. Ford spent a lot of time and money on the interior, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 7/4/04, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Robert@June 25, 2004, 11:45 PM
First off, no, don't expect TSX quality. I'm actually cross-shopping the new Stang with the Acura TSX and TL (yeah, I know, weird market comparo), and even though the new Stang is waaaay better than the outgoing model (which has one of the cheapest interiors in the industry, IMHO...sorry guys), I still see a number of cheap bits.

The quality of plastic used in the TSX has a richer more luxurious feel. Plus, it's all the extras you get in the TSX...little things like courtesy lights, illuminated key ignition, dual climate control, VSA, LED gauges, illuminated vanity mirrors, HID headlamps, turn signal mirrors, the option of NAV, heated hiney-warmers, etc, etc, all with fantastic reliability at about the same price as an '05 GT. I don't think a single one of the aforementioned options is available on ANY Mustang.

What's weird is that even the deluxe Ford F-150 offers luxo touches like climate control. What's up with that? A pickup truck has climate control, but NOT Ford's legendary sports coupe? And I hate to say it, but it looks like the interior of the F-150 might even be BETTER quality than the '05 Mustang! Have a look here: http://edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/1003....photo..2.Ford*

It's all about keeping the price down. Maybe by year three or so, a more deluxe model might be rolled out...but I dunno.

Really, it's the lack of amenities that **** me off more than anything in an otherwise great performance car. I guess I'm just becoming an old fart who likes his creature comforts along with his performance.
With all due respect, you sound like an old fart who wants his creature comforts MORE than his performance :scratch: Where does all this incessant bickering about the lack of “feel good” amenities on the 05 come from anyway? Do the words TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC mean anything to you? “Well gee wiz climate control is available in a 45 thousand dollar F-150 Lariat….why isn’t it at least optional in a 20-25K stang?” @#%!#$ Ford is re-inventing a PONY CAR, not a luxury truck, nor a re-badged Accord, ala TSX.

Which reminds me, how on earth are you cross-shopping these two vehicles? It’s like saying you feel like going out to rent a movie, and you’re in the mood for either “Terminator” or “Maid in Manhattan”! Yes you’ll pay the same for both, but they're not exactly targeting the same market now are they? A TSX rings in for between 26.5-29.5K, right at the top end of the (estimated) GT price distribution. And yes, they both run on gas and have four wheels, but that’s about it.

Illuminated key ignition and vanity mirrors?! WTF? Indeed, they may well not be available on ANY Mustang, as you note. But I’ve got news for you. A 300 horse (likely conservative) V8 in a RWD platform isn’t available on ANY TSX either. Rest assured, your fine-grain plastics and illuminated key holes do come with a price, my friend. Like everything else in life, there are trade offs. And the penalty you pay for those creature comforts lies under the hood of your TSX, in the form of a tepid 200 horse (NOT conservatively rated), FWD 4 banger. The BASE 05 chimes in at few ponies higher (albeit in a V6) and with 75 more ft. lbs of torque, you’ll probably need those fancy HID lamps just to avoid losing sight of the TAIL LIGHTS on that sub $20K V6 Stang that just dusted you off the line B)

Not trying to pick a fight here, and my apologies in advance for singling you out, as there have been countless nonsensical comparisons made in this thread (and others). I simply grow weary of the lack of thoughtfulness and common sense that goes into some of these posts. :angry: For the record, it costs money just to make the creature comforts AVAILABLE. Design costs, engineering costs, distribution costs. This is not to say Ford couldn’t do it. They simply couldn’t do it for a 19-27K vehicle, while maintaining their current performance aspirations. Think about it. If a 300 horse, tire-shredding muscle car (on a Lincoln platform no less) could be made with all the optional amenities that you suggest for a measly 25 grand base price, then why the heck wouldn’t every motor company have made one by now? You treat the Stang as though it were a bloody LS1 F-body, a car that DID sacrifice far too much comfort and day-to-day livability on the altar of performance. You cannot say the same for the 05, which will rival the LS1 in performance for nearly the same inflation adjusted price yet with 10x the refinement and sophistication (and yes, even optional features such as 6 disk changers, aluminum trim, power amenities, and side airbags). Now if we have to sacrifice heated seats and friggin climate control for a package that can do all that, AT THAT PRICE, well then that’s a trade off I am willing to live with
Old 7/4/04, 11:43 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

:hiding:
Old 7/4/04, 12:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Purple Hayz+July 4, 2004, 11:42 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Purple Hayz @ July 4, 2004, 11:42 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@June 25, 2004, 11:45 PM
First off, no, don't expect TSX quality. I'm actually cross-shopping the new Stang with the Acura TSX and TL (yeah, I know, weird market comparo), and even though the new Stang is waaaay better than the outgoing model (which has one of the cheapest interiors in the industry, IMHO...sorry guys), I still see a number of cheap bits.

The quality of plastic used in the TSX has a richer more luxurious feel. Plus, it's all the extras you get in the TSX...little things like courtesy lights, illuminated key ignition, dual climate control, VSA, LED gauges, illuminated vanity mirrors, HID headlamps, turn signal mirrors, the option of NAV, heated hiney-warmers, etc, etc, all with fantastic reliability at about the same price as an '05 GT. I don't think a single one of the aforementioned options is available on ANY Mustang.

What's weird is that even the deluxe Ford F-150 offers luxo touches like climate control. What's up with that? A pickup truck has climate control, but NOT Ford's legendary sports coupe? And I hate to say it, but it looks like the interior of the F-150 might even be BETTER quality than the '05 Mustang! Have a look here: http://edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/1003....photo..2.Ford*

It's all about keeping the price down. Maybe by year three or so, a more deluxe model might be rolled out...but I dunno.

Really, it's the lack of amenities that **** me off more than anything in an otherwise great performance car. I guess I'm just becoming an old fart who likes his creature comforts along with his performance.
With all due respect, you sound like an old fart who wants his creature comforts MORE than his performance :scratch: Where does all this incessant bickering about the lack of “feel good” amenities on the 05 come from anyway? Do the words TARGET DEMOGRAPHIC mean anything to you? “Well gee wiz climate control is available in a 45 thousand dollar F-150 Lariat….why isn’t it at least optional in a 20-25K stang?” @#%!#$ Ford is re-inventing a PONY CAR, not a luxury truck, nor a re-badged Accord, ala TSX.

Which reminds me, how on earth are you cross-shopping these two vehicles? It’s like saying you feel like going out to rent a movie, and you’re in the mood for either “Terminator” or “Maid in Manhattan”! Yes you’ll pay the same for both, but they're not exactly targeting the same market now are they? A TSX rings in for between 26.5-29.5K, right at the top end of the (estimated) GT price distribution. And yes, they both run on gas and have four wheels, but that’s about it.

Illuminated key ignition and vanity mirrors?! WTF? Indeed, they may well not be available on ANY Mustang, as you note. But I’ve got news for you. A 300 horse (likely conservative) V8 in a RWD platform isn’t available on ANY TSX either. Rest assured, your fine-grain plastics and illuminated key holes do come with a price, my friend. Like everything else in life, there are trade offs. And the penalty you pay for those creature comforts lies under the hood of your TSX, in the form of a tepid 200 horse (NOT conservatively rated), FWD 4 banger. The BASE 05 chimes in at few ponies higher (albeit in a V6) and with 75 more ft. lbs of torque, you’ll probably need those fancy HID lamps just to avoid losing sight of the TAIL LIGHTS on that sub $20K V6 Stang that just dusted you off the line B)

Not trying to pick a fight here, and my apologies in advance for singling you out, as there have been countless nonsensical comparisons made in this thread (and others). I simply grow weary of the lack of thoughtfulness and common sense that goes into some of these posts. :angry: For the record, it costs money just to make the creature comforts AVAILABLE. Design costs, engineering costs, distribution costs. This is not to say Ford couldn’t do it. They simply couldn’t do it for a 19-27K vehicle, while maintaining their current performance aspirations. Think about it. If a 300 horse, tire-shredding muscle car (on a Lincoln platform no less) could be made with all the optional amenities that you suggest for a measly 25 grand base price, then why the heck wouldn’t every motor company have made one by now? You treat the Stang as though it were a bloody LS1 F-body, a car that DID sacrifice far too much comfort and day-to-day livability on the altar of performance. You cannot say the same for the 05, which will rival the LS1 in performance for nearly the same inflation adjusted price yet with 10x the refinement and sophistication (and yes, even optional features such as 6 disk changers, aluminum trim, power amenities, and side airbags). Now if we have to sacrifice heated seats and friggin climate control for a package that can do all that, AT THAT PRICE, well then that’s a trade off I am willing to live with [/b][/quote]
What he said.

"affordable performance"
Old 7/4/04, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

DITTO
Old 7/4/04, 12:53 PM
Cobra R Member

Bang for your buck.

Horsepower. 20-25 K B)

Head turning quality. Additional 5 K B)

Wish I had one thoughts from the
30 somethings in their ugly mini vans or SUVs. Priceless B)
Old 7/4/04, 03:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 38special@July 4, 2004, 2:56 PM
Bang for your buck.

Horsepower. 20-25 K B)

Easy on the thirtysomethings there never owned a mini van and never will.
Old 7/4/04, 05:26 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by tangs3+July 4, 2004, 4:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tangs3 @ July 4, 2004, 4:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-38special@July 4, 2004, 2:56 PM
Bang for your buck.

Horsepower. 20-25 K B)

Easy on the thirtysomethings there never owned a mini van and never will. [/b][/quote]
Actually have my second minivan (wife's daily drivers) and they are great vehicles. They do everything well (except the 1/4 mile and pick up chicks). They do well in the snow, big enough to haul big stuff or a lot of people, decent power/towing ability, etc.

IT'll just have to move out when my Cobra comes home.
Old 7/4/04, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 4, 2004, 5:29 PM
IT'll just have to move out when my Cobra comes home.
so when is the new garage going up, to fit the mini van,and Cobra?
Old 7/4/04, 09:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

Actually, I was just kidding about that. I have 2 on the house and 2 off. I am in the process of finishing the detached one with heat, painted floors, nice lighting, etc. I probably won't be able to fit a lift though.
Old 7/4/04, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse@July 4, 2004, 9:31 PM
Actually, I was just kidding about that. I have 2 on the house and 2 off. I am in the process of finishing the detached one with heat, painted floors, nice lighting, etc. I probably won't be able to fit a lift though.
Well, thats ok at least the car's have a good home!!!!!!!!!!!! B)
Old 7/5/04, 06:22 AM
vld
GT Member

Originally posted by CWP@June 25, 2004, 11:55 AM
When I get a car I want a 4th Gen Mustang (one of the new ones). But, people keep telling me that Mustangs are of cheep construction, that they are unreliable blah blah blah . . . So tell me all u Mustang owners, are 'Stangs really the wonderful American Muscle Cars that I have come to believe that they are? B)

Christopher
My 95gts was a GREAT car until she got speared in the side :bang: . I was the second owner, bought her at 52k, buried her at 83k (due to the accident :bang: ). In that 31k my only problems were a starter and a battery. The auto trans was flawless; suspension was perfect; motor was strong like day one (as far as I could tell anyway), no weird noises, squeaks, leaks, smells, smokes; no badges, headliner or trim pieces falling off drooping. The ride was great, interior was quiet (well, quiet enough anyway). This car had zero defects and was a joy to drive. Before that car I had a prelude, subaru, 2 f-150's and an integra, the mustang was the best of the bunch hands down.
:notnice: Having said that I have heard two stories regarding v6s from two separate sources (one second hand, one first hand, both credible) that were horror stories, constant breakdowns, mysterious smells, excess smoke, terrible gas mileage :scratch: etc. Both of these people swore to me that I would regret the day that I purchased my stang :nono: .
Needless to say I do not. Its been 2 years and 7 months and I still miss her . She would be replaced already but insurance would be outrageous :nono: so I am waiting until 06. :bang:
Old 7/6/04, 08:41 AM
GT Member

I bought my 87 Stang in 89 with 16,700 miles on it and put over 100k miles on it myself during the next 7 years. (Ended tragically with a wreck where insurance 'totaled' her out.) Anyway, the major "problems" were a water pump, a timing belt, and a rebuild on the tranny (after 100k). :scratch: So, IMHO the quality is excellent for the price! Naturally, the 05 will be years ahead in all categories. So, have no fear and buy it!
Old 7/6/04, 11:31 AM
CWP
V6 Member

YESSSSS!!! I will buy the 2005 or '06 or whatever! Thanks alot!
Old 7/6/04, 01:10 PM
Cobra Member

yes!
Old 7/6/04, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

ROFL

That is CLASSIC. Thanks for the laugh. It's true too.
Old 7/6/04, 05:51 PM
slp
V6 Member

I am a thirtysomething without a minivan or SUV. I have only owned two cars in the past eighteen years, both Mustangs (soon to be a third). The first was a 1986 Mustang LX 2.3L 4-cylinder (I was in college... besides I had no business with a GT at that age), which served me very well. Aside from normal maintenance and some accident-related body work, the only repairs I had during the eight years I owned it were: the air conditioner, throttle position sensor, instrument voltage regulator, and electronic ignition module. And my current vehicle, a 1994 Mustang GT, has only needed an air conditioning repair in the last ten years, beyond regular maintenance. (As an aside, at about the same time my air conditioning went out, a co-worker's newer Honda Accord also had air conditioning problems; mine was fixed in a day, his took weeks to repair.)

I have ordered a 2005 Mustang GT without hesitation. From what I have seen and heard, the only petty complaint I have are the new goofy push/pull window switches (I still like the old rocker switches); but that is not stopping me from buying one. There is really no point of adding any more optional amenities (that is called "scope creep" or "gold plating" in my business). Automatic climate control, for one, seems pretty useless to me; I cannot recall the last time I set the temperature **** to anything but full-cold.

Quick Reply: Are Mustangs Good Cars?