2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Are Mustangs Good Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/04, 11:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The F150's interior and the 05 Mustang's interior are of the same quality and same materials...look closeley... Same AC and radio controls...the difference is, the Mustang has the huge aluminum dash above the controls, where as the F150 has alminum side by side of the controls.

Old 6/26/04, 05:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 428CJ@June 26, 2004, 11:42 AM
The F150's interior and the 05 Mustang's interior are of the same quality and same materials...look closeley... Same AC and radio controls...the difference is, the Mustang has the huge aluminum dash above the controls, where as the F150 has alminum side by side of the controls.

Yeah, the radio and HVAC controls are identical - obvious and logical platform sharing going on there - but I'm not sure the dash plastics are of equivalent quality. The textures seem better in the F-150. And the plastics in the Mustang center console still look to be of a much cheaper quality than that of even an entry-level Acura, for example.

Ford raved about how the new Mustang interior would move upscale to the level of the Thunderbird, for example. Well, I got news for ya, Ford, the Thunderbird interior quality wasn't that hot either.

This is really the biggest complaint I have with the domestic auto makers. I sat in the new Chrysler 300C at the local autoshow a few months ago, and while I liked the looks of the exterior, the interior still had that cheap, cheesy feel.

It's no wonder the imports sell so well.

As to as many imports being in the garage as domestics, well, I dunno about that one. Just a quick read through Consumer Reports demonstrates that Toyota (Lexus) and Honda (Acura) are number one in reliability and customer satisfaction year after year. Yeah, they have their problems, too, but not as many per 100 cars as the domestic makers. And when it comes to recalls, well, no comparison...

Bugs the pooe out of me, cause I love the new Stang.

And I still don't see a glovebox on the '05.

Question: If the current generation GTs do 0-60 in 5.4 seconds, then what do people speculate the new '05 0-60 time to be? It has a 40bhp power increase (more, according to several of the emerging reports), and a more advanced engine, drivetrain and suspension setup. Any guesses...?
Old 6/26/04, 05:54 PM
Cobra Member

Your last question has already been addressed. Search for it, and also on the timeline there is a spec part that says it might be 5.2 seconds. Pretty dang fast. Imports just don't compare (with one or two exceptions).
Old 6/26/04, 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badandy@June 26, 2004, 5:57 PM
Your last question has already been addressed. Search for it, and also on the timeline there is a spec part that says it might be 5.2 seconds. Pretty dang fast. Imports just don't compare (with one or two exceptions).
Thanks for the answer anyways.

Well, I dunno if imports don't compare. There's lots of imports that'll clean a Mustang's clock, like:

1. Porsche
2. Ferrari
3. Aston Martin
4. Lamborghini
5. Jaguar XK series
6. Bugatti
7. BMW M Series
8. Mercedes AMG Series

...etc...

Now if you're referring to Japanese imports, yeah, only a small handful can come close to similar performance:

1. Nissan 350Z
2. Honda S2000
3. Subaru WRX

Unfortunately, all of the aforementioned cars trounce the Mustang in terms of fit & finish and quality. Here's hoping the '05 will change all that once and for all. :worship:
Old 6/27/04, 05:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

see that thing below the radio? climate control. why don't they offer it for the stang. I just don't get it.

Oh btw... the 05 HAS a glovebox, we've already seen pictures of it
Old 6/27/04, 06:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Wombert@June 27, 2004, 5:18 AM

see that thing below the radio? climate control. why don't they offer it for the stang. I just don't get it.

Oh btw... the 05 HAS a glovebox, we've already seen pictures of it
I would be willing to bet that the picture of the interior (above), goes along with a truck that costs almost $40k. If so, that would be one reason why the Mustang does not have it. You know, we could look at this another way. We will have one less electronic gizmo to break.
Old 6/27/04, 06:24 AM

For the price, my '98 Mustang has been a solid car. Since April of '99, when we bought it new, the only thing I've had to do beyond normal maintenance was replace the tires and an oxygen sensor in 75,000 miles.

It's certainly not going to have the interior quality of a BMW, but it also costs significantly less. I'm hoping Ford will follow GM's quality improvements seen in the new Malibu. The fit and finish is much better than previous generations of GM / American-made products. If it's a new standard, I think this will bring American cars that much closer to the standard that's been set by the Japanese vehicles.
Old 6/27/04, 07:37 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill Ford is trying to make Ford profitable again. The best way to do that is to get the public to believe that the cars are built better for an affordable price. That is why the F150 went up so far in quality without going up in price. He will do the same with the mustang. Those 2 vehicles are the image of Ford. That is where he is starting to resurrect the company.
Old 6/27/04, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Exclamation

Originally posted by Robert@June 26, 2004, 10:14 PM
Well, I dunno if imports don't compare. There's lots of imports that'll clean a Mustang's clock, like:

1. Porsche
2. Ferrari
3. Aston Martin
4. Lamborghini
5. Jaguar XK series
6. Bugatti
7. BMW M Series
8. Mercedes AMG Series

...etc...
Hey two on that list are in the Ford family :P
Old 6/27/04, 06:57 PM
CWP
V6 Member

Originally posted by Dan+June 25, 2004, 10:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ June 25, 2004, 10:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hdwrench@June 26, 2004, 12:22 AM
yes im sure this is a good place to get an unbiased opinion.
That's assuming he WANTS an unbiased opinion. [/b][/quote]
LOL, That's right!
Old 6/27/04, 09:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by CWP+June 27, 2004, 9:00 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CWP @ June 27, 2004, 9:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dan@June 25, 2004, 10:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-hdwrench
@June 26, 2004, 12:22 AM
yes im sure this is a good place to get an unbiased opinion.

That's assuming he WANTS an unbiased opinion.
LOL, That's right! [/b][/quote]
<Stands with hands in air, waiting for applause>

hehe.....most of the time you know what you want to hear, you just need an echo or two.
Old 6/27/04, 09:22 PM
Bullitt Member

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

Old 6/27/04, 09:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Dan@June 27, 2004, 11:21 PM

hehe.....most of the time you know what you want to hear, you just need an echo or two.
Ain't that the truth...I actually took a poll from the guys that work for me as to if I should trade in my Jeep Wrangler. It went kinda like this...

Me: Hey guys should I trade in the Jeep on a new 03 GT Centennial Ed. vert?

the guys: heck yes!!!...How many times did you actually use the Jeep what it was intended for? (off roading,getting it muddy,etc...)

Me: umm...never (you have to understand, I'm **** about keeping my vehicles clean.)

the guys: Are you getting it for a good price,interest rate,etc...?

Me: Yep, and 1.9% for 60 mos

the guys: Why are you still here and not at the dealer?

Anyhow sometimes it just takes that little push to get you where you were heading to in the first place,lol!!!!
Old 7/2/04, 09:07 PM

I have a 2000 GT vert. I have 115K miles. It has been a good car. I got 100K out of the brake pads. No problems. The motor still runs like new and uses no oil (do use Mobil 1 every 5K). Just drove from upstate SC to eastern KY and back and averaged 24.5 MPG driving through the mountains. Will use up tires. Not so much a problem with the car, but more due to the softness of most 245/45/17 tires.
Old 7/2/04, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Wombert+June 26, 2004, 11:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wombert @ June 26, 2004, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Robert@June 26, 2004, 7:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-05StangPwnedMe
@June 25, 2004, 12:44 PM

However, for the 2005's I think all concerns about the interior of the vehicle have been addressed. It has a GREAT interior.
One of the things that Im concerned with about the new Stang is the interior... Ive got a 2001 Explorer Sport and its got that cheap plastic dash and all that... I HATE that stuff... it looks cheap.. it doesnt hold together, etch...

The interior will be the make or break the 2005 for me... this will be my first Stang (after a 30 year lifetime of loving the classic Stang from a far).. and if the interior isnt nice, then I may just invest in a classic...

How has the interior been addressed exactly? I know I can wait for the car to hit the showroom floor, but Im impatient) :spin: Is the interior that same plastic substance or have they gone with another product?

I bought my wife a 2004 Acura TSX this year, and for the price... that car has awesome interior (heck, its as nice as higher end luxury cars, imo).. would you say that it would compare with that?

Thanks for any elaboration you can give...

btw.. Im new here.. hi

Gotta chime in here.

First off, no, don't expect TSX quality. I'm actually cross-shopping the new Stang with the Acura TSX and TL (yeah, I know, weird market comparo), and even though the new Stang is waaaay better than the outgoing model (which has one of the cheapest interiors in the industry, IMHO...sorry guys), I still see a number of cheap bits.

The quality of plastic used in the TSX has a richer more luxurious feel. Plus, it's all the extras you get in the TSX...little things like courtesy lights, illuminated key ignition, dual climate control, VSA, LED gauges, illuminated vanity mirrors, HID headlamps, turn signal mirrors, the option of NAV, heated hiney-warmers, etc, etc, all with fantastic reliability at about the same price as an '05 GT. I don't think a single one of the aforementioned options is available on ANY Mustang.

What's weird is that even the deluxe Ford F-150 offers luxo touches like climate control. What's up with that? A pickup truck has climate control, but NOT Ford's legendary sports coupe? And I hate to say it, but it looks like the interior of the F-150 might even be BETTER quality than the '05 Mustang! Have a look here: http://edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/1003....photo..2.Ford*

It's all about keeping the price down. Maybe by year three or so, a more deluxe model might be rolled out...but I dunno.

Really, it's the lack of amenities that **** me off more than anything in an otherwise great performance car. I guess I'm just becoming an old fart who likes his creature comforts along with his performance.
that's exactly my complaint about the '05 mustang. okay, it needs to be an affordable car, ford wants to keep the price low. but OPTIONAL climate control, bluetooth handsfree, steering wheel radio controls don't raise the price of the base car (okay, maybe the radio controls... but the other stuff... nope). I just don't get why they aren't offering it. Setting the climate to 72°F is so much easier than messing with the A/C controls every five minutes because it's either too warm or too cold inside. [/b][/quote]
Dude, first off keep your mouth shut. I own a 2003 Accord. Honda/ Acura build quality is far from perfect. My front right side mirrior shakes to all heck at highway speed, I have door seals that are falling off on the back right passanger door, plus the trim isn't quiet all the way lined up. Second of all, how difficult it is to adjust the heat? I never have a problem. I don't have fancy climate control in my Accord and I manage to keep cool all the time. I do have a moon roof though, which I never use. You see, options like that are pretty useless and are only good for adding weight to the car. Though, there is one thing I can agree with you on. Radio/ CD controls on the steering wheel. But even that, well isn't a big deal.
Old 7/2/04, 10:11 PM
CWP
V6 Member

Yeah, thanx guys AND girls for the help! THE PEOPLE WHO SAID THE STANG IS A JUNKPILE HAVE SHUT UP NOW !!!
Old 7/3/04, 05:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by StevenJ+July 3, 2004, 5:31 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (StevenJ @ July 3, 2004, 5:31 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Wombert@June 26, 2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Robert@June 26, 2004, 7:45 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-05StangPwnedMe
@June 25, 2004, 12:44 PM

However, for the 2005's I think all concerns about the interior of the vehicle have been addressed. It has a GREAT interior.
One of the things that Im concerned with about the new Stang is the interior... Ive got a 2001 Explorer Sport and its got that cheap plastic dash and all that... I HATE that stuff... it looks cheap.. it doesnt hold together, etch...

The interior will be the make or break the 2005 for me... this will be my first Stang (after a 30 year lifetime of loving the classic Stang from a far).. and if the interior isnt nice, then I may just invest in a classic...

How has the interior been addressed exactly? I know I can wait for the car to hit the showroom floor, but Im impatient) :spin: Is the interior that same plastic substance or have they gone with another product?

I bought my wife a 2004 Acura TSX this year, and for the price... that car has awesome interior (heck, its as nice as higher end luxury cars, imo).. would you say that it would compare with that?

Thanks for any elaboration you can give...

btw.. Im new here.. hi

Gotta chime in here.

First off, no, don't expect TSX quality. I'm actually cross-shopping the new Stang with the Acura TSX and TL (yeah, I know, weird market comparo), and even though the new Stang is waaaay better than the outgoing model (which has one of the cheapest interiors in the industry, IMHO...sorry guys), I still see a number of cheap bits.

The quality of plastic used in the TSX has a richer more luxurious feel. Plus, it's all the extras you get in the TSX...little things like courtesy lights, illuminated key ignition, dual climate control, VSA, LED gauges, illuminated vanity mirrors, HID headlamps, turn signal mirrors, the option of NAV, heated hiney-warmers, etc, etc, all with fantastic reliability at about the same price as an '05 GT. I don't think a single one of the aforementioned options is available on ANY Mustang.

What's weird is that even the deluxe Ford F-150 offers luxo touches like climate control. What's up with that? A pickup truck has climate control, but NOT Ford's legendary sports coupe? And I hate to say it, but it looks like the interior of the F-150 might even be BETTER quality than the '05 Mustang! Have a look here: http://edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/1003....photo..2.Ford*

It's all about keeping the price down. Maybe by year three or so, a more deluxe model might be rolled out...but I dunno.

Really, it's the lack of amenities that **** me off more than anything in an otherwise great performance car. I guess I'm just becoming an old fart who likes his creature comforts along with his performance.

that's exactly my complaint about the '05 mustang. okay, it needs to be an affordable car, ford wants to keep the price low. but OPTIONAL climate control, bluetooth handsfree, steering wheel radio controls don't raise the price of the base car (okay, maybe the radio controls... but the other stuff... nope). I just don't get why they aren't offering it. Setting the climate to 72°F is so much easier than messing with the A/C controls every five minutes because it's either too warm or too cold inside.
Dude, first off keep your mouth shut. I own a 2003 Accord. Honda/ Acura build quality is far from perfect. My front right side mirrior shakes to all heck at highway speed, I have door seals that are falling off on the back right passanger door, plus the trim isn't quiet all the way lined up. Second of all, how difficult it is to adjust the heat? I never have a problem. I don't have fancy climate control in my Accord and I manage to keep cool all the time. I do have a moon roof though, which I never use. You see, options like that are pretty useless and are only good for adding weight to the car. Though, there is one thing I can agree with you on. Radio/ CD controls on the steering wheel. But even that, well isn't a big deal. [/b][/quote]
I beg your pardon? I didn't say a word about Honda/Acura/Whatever build quality. And before you tell me to keep my mouth shut you better pick a dictionary and look up the word OPTION. Nobody forces you to get a climate control. Next time switch your brains on before you accost me like this.
Old 7/3/04, 09:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Robert+June 26, 2004, 8:14 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ June 26, 2004, 8:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Badandy@June 26, 2004, 5:57 PM
Thanks for the answer anyways.

1. Porsche
2. Ferrari
3. Aston Martin
4. Lamborghini
5. Jaguar XK series
6. Bugatti
7. BMW M Series
8. Mercedes AMG Series

...etc...

Now if you're referring to Japanese imports, yeah, only a small handful can come close to similar performance:

1. Nissan 350Z
2. Honda S2000
3. Subaru WRX

Unfortunately, all of the aforementioned cars trounce the Mustang in terms of fit & finish and quality. Here's hoping the '05 will change all that once and for all. :worship: [/b][/quote]
Yes I am talking about the Japanese imports. My bad. And none of those are faster except the STi. But then you have the evo.
Old 7/3/04, 10:12 AM
GT Member

I've owned a 66 289 2+2, 70 Mach1, 83 V6, 84 Capri, 85 GT, and now own a 96 Cobra. From the beginning the idea of the Mustang was an affordable "family sports car". They all served me well. The engines tend to be if not always faster, tougher than the competition.

We have a joke at the track that goes something like "those chevys should have to run blow proof oil pans to keep all those parts off the track"
Old 7/3/04, 04:17 PM
Cobra Member

Just sat in the 05 today, and in terms of quality and finish, I have to say that its at least at VW/Audi levels.

And of course the S197 is gonna be better than the SN95, as the SN95 was sitting on a 25 year old chassis and was developed at fractions of the cost of a completely new car, while the S197 was splurged on in terms of R&D.

Quick Reply: Are Mustangs Good Cars?