2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Are Mustangs Good Cars?

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/04, 01:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 Gt 146,00 miles no trouble would take it anywhere.
Old 6/25/04, 01:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by CWP@June 25, 2004, 11:55 AM
When I get a car I want a 4th Gen Mustang (one of the new ones). But, people keep telling me that Mustangs are of cheep construction, that they are unreliable blah blah blah . . . So tell me all u Mustang owners, are 'Stangs really the wonderful American Muscle Cars that I have come to believe that they are?
Christopher
CWP, here is what I would urge you to do. Go to your dealer, and ask to test drive the 2004 Mach 1. Feel what the car is like, and you will agree that it is not like other cars you might test drive. You will feel this connection to the car and to the road, and you will become hooked. There is nothing like it. I know that the 2004 Mach 1 does not equate to the 2005 Mustang GT, however most of the released information thus far indicates that it will perform very similar.

About the construction, and being concerned about maintaining the car. Go into this with your eyes open. It will be a first run on a first body. It does not have a track record yet ... But Ford does, and I believe that they are doing things right, and that it will work out okay. Sure things may come up, but they do with most any car. Just plan on taking care of it and it will take care of you. Neglect it and you will end up paying more at some point. What you have to do is first decide if this is the car you want. After getting it you have to decide if you want to keep it, and you have the privilege of deciding this as often as you like. For me, it really helps to know that the Mustang has a really strong heritage, and that there are tons of people out there who absolutely love these cars for what they are. It has to be your choice if you want to be a part of it - and that is the real difference between buying a Mustang vs. another car that is 'more reliable', or 'more economical', etc. You get to choose. I had a 1966 Mustang when I was younger, and it was the best car I ever had. The new 2005 Mustang has given me a chance to slip into a car that is very similar in the look and feel department - but way better in terms of performance. I can't wait to get my hands on it

Good luck to you !
Old 6/25/04, 01:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Put it this way I will never own any car other than a Ford. My mother had a malibu that went through 3 carbs, and it blew the exahust manifold off the right side of the motor the car only had 30K mi on it. My father had a c-20 chevy van that he used for work had 65k mi on it and caught on fire in my aunts driveway and since then we have never drinven anything else but Fords the quality is great we currently have between me and my parents 14 cars all being fords and the bigest thing ive had to change on any of them ( not self inflicted ) was the trans on my fathers 90 F-350 deisel
Old 6/25/04, 02:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by 05StangPwnedMe@June 25, 2004, 1:44 PM
One of the things that Im concerned with about the new Stang is the interior... Ive got a 2001 Explorer Sport and its got that cheap plastic dash and all that... I HATE that stuff... it looks cheap.. it doesnt hold together, etch...
To put it in perspective, we had a 98 Explorer and now a 2003 Explorer. The 98 Explorer had the same cheap interior as the Sport Trac has, while my wifes new Explorer is just beautiful inside fit and finish wise. Head and shoulders above the old one.

If the new Mustangs achieves that, and after seeing it in person at the 40th I think it has, then we are all in good shape.
Old 6/25/04, 02:43 PM
V6 Member

THanks, JeffreyDJ!

If what was said is true (being comparable to the 2004 F150's interior, as Galaxie suggests), then I will be one happy camper with the new ride... while, ive not seen the F150 inside in person, my wife has, and she assures me its very elegant...

Im excited as ever now... (that banana guy cracks me up! lol)
Old 6/25/04, 03:13 PM
CWP
V6 Member

Cool

Originally posted by GTJOHN@June 25, 2004, 1:18 PM
I own a 1987 Mustang GT with 150k miles and a 1994 Explorer 4x4 with 146k. They both have a lot of life left in them!!

I just got rid of my 2001 Mustang GT, so I can save $$$ for the new 2005 Mustang GT. So, I would say Mustangs are very good cars!
But, not in the snow! If you happen to buy a Stang, and you live in a state that has bad winters, I advise you to also buy a winter beater or a 4x4. Keep your Mustang nice and garage it till spring!!

Interiors, were brought up. I loved the interior in my Black 01 Mustang GT. I never thought it looked "cheap".
If you want to talk cheap, lets talk about Chevy. Even my friends C5 Corvette looks cheap and cheesy inside!
I live in Florida. No problem with snow!
Old 6/25/04, 03:20 PM
CWP
V6 Member

Originally posted by os121+June 25, 2004, 1:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (os121 @ June 25, 2004, 1:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-CWP@June 25, 2004, 11:55 AM
When I get a car I want a 4th Gen Mustang (one of the new ones). But, people keep telling me that Mustangs are of cheep construction, that they are unreliable blah blah blah . . . So tell me all u Mustang owners, are 'Stangs really the wonderful American Muscle Cars that I have come to believe that they are?
Christopher
CWP, here is what I would urge you to do. Go to your dealer, and ask to test drive the 2004 Mach 1. Feel what the car is like, and you will agree that it is not like other cars you might test drive. You will feel this connection to the car and to the road, and you will become hooked. There is nothing like it. I know that the 2004 Mach 1 does not equate to the 2005 Mustang GT, however most of the released information thus far indicates that it will perform very similar.

About the construction, and being concerned about maintaining the car. Go into this with your eyes open. It will be a first run on a first body. It does not have a track record yet ... But Ford does, and I believe that they are doing things right, and that it will work out okay. Sure things may come up, but they do with most any car. Just plan on taking care of it and it will take care of you. Neglect it and you will end up paying more at some point. What you have to do is first decide if this is the car you want. After getting it you have to decide if you want to keep it, and you have the privilege of deciding this as often as you like. For me, it really helps to know that the Mustang has a really strong heritage, and that there are tons of people out there who absolutely love these cars for what they are. It has to be your choice if you want to be a part of it - and that is the real difference between buying a Mustang vs. another car that is 'more reliable', or 'more economical', etc. You get to choose. I had a 1966 Mustang when I was younger, and it was the best car I ever had. The new 2005 Mustang has given me a chance to slip into a car that is very similar in the look and feel department - but way better in terms of performance. I can't wait to get my hands on it

Good luck to you ! [/b][/quote]
Thanks! B) Those are some good reasons to get a Mustang!

(Ha, that banana guy IS funny, hehe. hehe . . . haHA . . . hehehehehe)
Old 6/25/04, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

what?!?!?! i live in Edmonton Alberta Canada and we get really bad winters and ive never had a problem in winter with my old GT. that car owned int he winter warmed up freaking fast and handled with the best of them on ice. i never ever had a problem with the car sliding and such.
Old 6/25/04, 08:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red Star+June 25, 2004, 12:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Red Star @ June 25, 2004, 12:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-RaGsHoCkEy88@June 25, 2004, 12:47 PM
i have 2 fords...........they are more relyable than any Japanese car out there sooo whatever u hear is crap about ford shooting.............ford is god
Is that why under the car you wrote "Piece of Crap"? [/b][/quote]
Old 6/25/04, 09:59 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by os121@June 25, 2004, 3:37 PM
That is my favorite post for this week. You hit the nail on the head IMO. I've experienced what you've described to a "T" and also believe the 05 will have Mach 1 performance.

For those of you that haven't driven a Mach 1: Mach 1 not = GT. Trust me.
Old 6/25/04, 10:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

my friend has a 2004 Mach 1 and i gotta admit it does drive alot different then my GT did. and what you said is very true about that connection.
Old 6/25/04, 10:19 PM
Bullitt Member

yes im sure this is a good place to get an unbiased opinion.
Old 6/25/04, 10:24 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by hdwrench@June 26, 2004, 12:22 AM
That's assuming he WANTS an unbiased opinion.
Old 6/25/04, 10:56 PM
Bullitt Member

The only thing that feels cheap to me with the interior on my 03 is the interior arm rest area where the plastic is. Other than that I feel the rest is very nice. You just can't beat the power and feel for the road. After driving dogs for the last few years it's nice to actually pass rather than always be passed,lol!!
Old 6/25/04, 11:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by hdwrench@June 25, 2004, 11:22 PM

Someone wants advice aboot a car, they should not go to a forum that talks aboot the car?.So where else should they go? Apperently a sight dedicated to Mustangs is not a good place to ask aboot Mustangs?

I know where he should go, how aboot a Honda Civic forum, or a WRX STI Forum...
Old 6/25/04, 11:29 PM
Cobra Member

One of the best cars I have ever owned.

It's not bad in the snow either... but where I'm at... we don't get tons of it either, aleast not lately.

I have winter tires and rims if needed and then switch back once the weather warms up.
Old 6/25/04, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 05StangPwnedMe@June 25, 2004, 12:44 PM

However, for the 2005's I think all concerns about the interior of the vehicle have been addressed. It has a GREAT interior.
One of the things that Im concerned with about the new Stang is the interior... Ive got a 2001 Explorer Sport and its got that cheap plastic dash and all that... I HATE that stuff... it looks cheap.. it doesnt hold together, etch...

The interior will be the make or break the 2005 for me... this will be my first Stang (after a 30 year lifetime of loving the classic Stang from a far).. and if the interior isnt nice, then I may just invest in a classic...

How has the interior been addressed exactly? I know I can wait for the car to hit the showroom floor, but Im impatient) :spin: Is the interior that same plastic substance or have they gone with another product?

I bought my wife a 2004 Acura TSX this year, and for the price... that car has awesome interior (heck, its as nice as higher end luxury cars, imo).. would you say that it would compare with that?

Thanks for any elaboration you can give...

btw.. Im new here.. hi
Gotta chime in here.

First off, no, don't expect TSX quality. I'm actually cross-shopping the new Stang with the Acura TSX and TL (yeah, I know, weird market comparo), and even though the new Stang is waaaay better than the outgoing model (which has one of the cheapest interiors in the industry, IMHO...sorry guys), I still see a number of cheap bits.

The quality of plastic used in the TSX has a richer more luxurious feel. Plus, it's all the extras you get in the TSX...little things like courtesy lights, illuminated key ignition, dual climate control, VSA, LED gauges, illuminated vanity mirrors, HID headlamps, turn signal mirrors, the option of NAV, heated hiney-warmers, etc, etc, all with fantastic reliability at about the same price as an '05 GT. I don't think a single one of the aforementioned options is available on ANY Mustang.

What's weird is that even the deluxe Ford F-150 offers luxo touches like climate control. What's up with that? A pickup truck has climate control, but NOT Ford's legendary sports coupe? And I hate to say it, but it looks like the interior of the F-150 might even be BETTER quality than the '05 Mustang! Have a look here: http://edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/1003....photo..2.Ford*

It's all about keeping the price down. Maybe by year three or so, a more deluxe model might be rolled out...but I dunno.

Really, it's the lack of amenities that **** me off more than anything in an otherwise great performance car. I guess I'm just becoming an old fart who likes his creature comforts along with his performance.
Old 6/26/04, 04:08 AM
V6 Member

Want to see how tough the Ford Pony cars are do yourself a favor and attend one of the NMRA events, you'll see the meaning of FORD TOUGH.
Old 6/26/04, 05:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Robert+June 26, 2004, 7:45 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ June 26, 2004, 7:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-05StangPwnedMe@June 25, 2004, 12:44 PM

However, for the 2005's I think all concerns about the interior of the vehicle have been addressed. It has a GREAT interior.

The interior will be the make or break the 2005 for me... this will be my first Stang (after a 30 year lifetime of loving the classic Stang from a far).. and if the interior isnt nice, then I may just invest in a classic...

How has the interior been addressed exactly? I know I can wait for the car to hit the showroom floor, but Im impatient) :spin: Is the interior that same plastic substance or have they gone with another product?

I bought my wife a 2004 Acura TSX this year, and for the price... that car has awesome interior (heck, its as nice as higher end luxury cars, imo).. would you say that it would compare with that?

Thanks for any elaboration you can give...

btw.. Im new here.. hi
Gotta chime in here.

First off, no, don't expect TSX quality. I'm actually cross-shopping the new Stang with the Acura TSX and TL (yeah, I know, weird market comparo), and even though the new Stang is waaaay better than the outgoing model (which has one of the cheapest interiors in the industry, IMHO...sorry guys), I still see a number of cheap bits.

The quality of plastic used in the TSX has a richer more luxurious feel. Plus, it's all the extras you get in the TSX...little things like courtesy lights, illuminated key ignition, dual climate control, VSA, LED gauges, illuminated vanity mirrors, HID headlamps, turn signal mirrors, the option of NAV, heated hiney-warmers, etc, etc, all with fantastic reliability at about the same price as an '05 GT. I don't think a single one of the aforementioned options is available on ANY Mustang.

What's weird is that even the deluxe Ford F-150 offers luxo touches like climate control. What's up with that? A pickup truck has climate control, but NOT Ford's legendary sports coupe? And I hate to say it, but it looks like the interior of the F-150 might even be BETTER quality than the '05 Mustang! Have a look here: http://edmunds.com/new/2004/ford/f150/1003....photo..2.Ford*

It's all about keeping the price down. Maybe by year three or so, a more deluxe model might be rolled out...but I dunno.

Really, it's the lack of amenities that **** me off more than anything in an otherwise great performance car. I guess I'm just becoming an old fart who likes his creature comforts along with his performance. [/b][/quote]
that's exactly my complaint about the '05 mustang. okay, it needs to be an affordable car, ford wants to keep the price low. but OPTIONAL climate control, bluetooth handsfree, steering wheel radio controls don't raise the price of the base car (okay, maybe the radio controls... but the other stuff... nope). I just don't get why they aren't offering it. Setting the climate to 72°F is so much easier than messing with the A/C controls every five minutes because it's either too warm or too cold inside.
Old 6/26/04, 11:00 AM
Cobra Member

i am 23 years old and have had three.... That should tell you something.... I personally love the interior in my mach.... but hey the 05 looks to be very nice indeed. Either way I have had no problems and they preform like they are supposed... Oh and ps the stares you get as you fly by with the unmistakeable sound of the exhaust should put your fears to rest... Oh and stop by a japanese car makers service dept and there are just as many cars there.

Quick Reply: Are Mustangs Good Cars?