Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcraft glass sucks sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 3/20/20, 09:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
Motorcraft glass sucks sometimes

I just wanted to post this up as a head's up for people looking to get new glass.

My original windshield was so sandblasted it was getting to be a safety issue when the sun was directly at it (sunrise/sunset). Like couldn't see anything. So I went to a reputable shop and ordered an OEM replacement. May be a little ridiculous, but I really like the pony logo over the rear view mirror. And I wanted OEM quality.

Well... they don't make 'em like they used to, not even like they did 14 years ago. I got the new one installed, the shop was quick, courteous, and professional. It was a 10 min drive back to work and by the time I got there my eyes felt like they were crossed. Something was off. After work I drove home and it felt worse, like my left eye was out of focus and I had a headache. I picked a reference point and started moving my head around and sure enough there was a noticeable line, like a bend, running right up the glass, directly in front of the driver's seat. Each eye was seeing a slightly different angle and it was messing with me.

I called the shop and they said "Ok, that's weird, we wouldn't expect that with OEM. Bring it back and we'll take a look." Sure enough they saw it too, so they ordered another one. I had to wait a week for the glue to fully cure from the 1st one before they could remove it (otherwise it'd be a mess when they pulled it out). When they day came, we checked out the new glass before installing saw some significant warping on that one too. So they sent that one back and ordered from a different place, and we checked it out. Still significant warping. Can't remember if this was #2 or #3, but if you look at the reflections of the lights and the shelves you can see it.

They ordered a 4th one but sent it back without calling me in. The 5th one they thought was good, so they called me in. Seemed OK at first, but they saw some warping right before they were going to install it. I looked at it closer and yeah there's some warping but not horrible right in front of the driver so I said go ahead and install it. I didn't think it was going to be much of a problem... been a few weeks driving around and it's actually fine. There are times where I notice it but it doesn't mess with my eyes or give me headaches so it's fine. I've also become hyper aware of warping now, I see it in my rear window, my truck, my wife's car, windows at the office, everywhere now. That awareness is fading, I drove it 55 miles yesterday and barely thought about it.

The shop was awesome to deal with and at no point ever gave me a hard time. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat if you're in the northern VA area. The motorcraft glass though... make sure you check it before installing. The shop was telling me there's only a few glass factories in the world now, one in Mexico where these are coming from, one in the US, and a few in China. I guess the Mexico plant isn't as good as it used to be. They said the US one was one of the better ones, but after seeing the special on Netflix ("American Factory"), I'm not so sure. Seems like they had quality issues but maybe that was only growing pains. They said they had the most quality issues with chinese glass.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (3/20/20)
Old 3/20/20, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Mine has tiny little rock chips throughout I don't even remember how I got them. Canyon driving maybe. Should be loving my scars.

Although they're mostly noticeable in direct sunlight, it bugs me to replace with nice and clean. That being said, it's unfortunate to hear about the Ford OEM windshields. We want the Pony Logo!

I'd guess all S197s share the same glass? Will aftermarkets fit ok?
Old 3/20/20, 06:11 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,606 Posts
Aftermarkets should fit ok, but IIRC they don't have the pony logos
Old 3/20/20, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
I just wanted to post this up as a head's up for people looking to get new glass.

My original windshield was so sandblasted it was getting to be a safety issue when the sun was directly at it (sunrise/sunset). Like couldn't see anything. So I went to a reputable shop and ordered an OEM replacement. May be a little ridiculous, but I really like the pony logo over the rear view mirror. And I wanted OEM quality.

Well... they don't make 'em like they used to, not even like they did 14 years ago. I got the new one installed, the shop was quick, courteous, and professional. It was a 10 min drive back to work and by the time I got there my eyes felt like they were crossed. Something was off. After work I drove home and it felt worse, like my left eye was out of focus and I had a headache. I picked a reference point and started moving my head around and sure enough there was a noticeable line, like a bend, running right up the glass, directly in front of the driver's seat. Each eye was seeing a slightly different angle and it was messing with me.

I called the shop and they said "Ok, that's weird, we wouldn't expect that with OEM. Bring it back and we'll take a look." Sure enough they saw it too, so they ordered another one. I had to wait a week for the glue to fully cure from the 1st one before they could remove it (otherwise it'd be a mess when they pulled it out). When they day came, we checked out the new glass before installing saw some significant warping on that one too. So they sent that one back and ordered from a different place, and we checked it out. Still significant warping. Can't remember if this was #2 or #3, but if you look at the reflections of the lights and the shelves you can see it.

They ordered a 4th one but sent it back without calling me in. The 5th one they thought was good, so they called me in. Seemed OK at first, but they saw some warping right before they were going to install it. I looked at it closer and yeah there's some warping but not horrible right in front of the driver so I said go ahead and install it. I didn't think it was going to be much of a problem... been a few weeks driving around and it's actually fine. There are times where I notice it but it doesn't mess with my eyes or give me headaches so it's fine. I've also become hyper aware of warping now, I see it in my rear window, my truck, my wife's car, windows at the office, everywhere now. That awareness is fading, I drove it 55 miles yesterday and barely thought about it.

The shop was awesome to deal with and at no point ever gave me a hard time. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat if you're in the northern VA area. The motorcraft glass though... make sure you check it before installing. The shop was telling me there's only a few glass factories in the world now, one in Mexico where these are coming from, one in the US, and a few in China. I guess the Mexico plant isn't as good as it used to be. They said the US one was one of the better ones, but after seeing the special on Netflix ("American Factory"), I'm not so sure. Seems like they had quality issues but maybe that was only growing pains. They said they had the most quality issues with chinese glass.
After reading over your post, it really sucks you had to order 5 different windshields before settling on one that's acceptable enough. Needless to say, I'll make certain when the time comes to replace the windshield, that it's manufactured in the U.S and not from Mexico or China. In the meantime, thanks for your very informative write-up

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/20/20 at 11:11 PM.
Old 3/22/20, 04:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Aftermarkets should fit ok, but IIRC they don't have the pony logos
Thats pretty much the same thing the glass place told me. That's why I kept sticking it out, but if #5 wasn't good enough I was getting real close to going aftermarket.
The following users liked this post:
m05fastbackGT (3/23/20)
Old 3/23/20, 08:36 PM

You obviously have far more patience then I would, that's for sure. My tolerance wouldn't had lasted beyond 3 different "OEM" replacements before finally pulling the trigger on making the switch to aftermarket.
Old 3/24/20, 06:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You obviously have far more patience then I would, that's for sure. My tolerance wouldn't had lasted beyond 3 different "OEM" replacements before finally pulling the trigger on making the switch to aftermarket.
It's that pony logo...
The following 2 users liked this post by Cavero:
m05fastbackGT (3/24/20), shaneyusa (3/25/20)
Old 3/24/20, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cavero
It's that pony logo...
I know exactly where your coming from, as the pony logo is also very important to me as well. However, it becomes far more than just an inconvenience when having to go through the hassle of ordering multiple windshields before finding one that's acceptable enough, let alone the down time it took waiting to get your car back on the road. But in the end, if there were no other option available for the pony logo from the aftermarket? then it would appear we have no other choice but to wait around until finally coming across the right windshield from Ford that's acceptable enough
Old 3/25/20, 03:02 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
How odd. I guess the glass up here in Canada is different.
I had to replace mine last year cause I cracked it trying to get that **** mirror off.
I wanted the OEM pony one of course. The shop had to get it from thier warehouse so it took a few days.
But after they installed it, I didn't notice anything wrong with it.
Sorry you had to go through all that trouble with yours.