GT Performance Mods 2005+ Mustang GT Performance and Technical Information

Darn Cracked Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 6/5/07, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Darn Cracked Windshield

Was driving on the freeway the other day and a tiny rock hit the lower edge of the windshield on the passenger side near the front pillar. It made a very small white speck sized chip in the glass but on the way home it cracked all the way to the middle of the passenger side of the glass. I guess it's time for a new windshield even though my car only has about 3900 miles on it. Called my insurance (Allstate) and it is completly covered so a company is coming out to my house thursday. The new glass will also have the pony. Anyone have any experience with this that I should know about before they come out?
Thanks, Don
Old 6/5/07, 11:50 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got one in the middle a few weeks ago. It was repaired this past week, they came out the house here since I do not drive in the rain and was in and out in like 20 minutes.
Old 6/5/07, 11:55 AM
FR500 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Don, nah, it's a piece of cake. They'll probably leave it taped up and tell you not to wash it for 24 hours, and then remove the tape tomorrow.

Tell me you went with Diamond Auto Glass and got some Omaha Steaks out of it
Old 6/5/07, 12:12 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hope they have all they need and oops we forgot that special adhesive to make it not leak around the window stuff, kidding but let it all cure up and set before moving your car around or a leake may occure , ask for specic instuctions. ?
Old 6/5/07, 02:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had my windshield replaced last month...but not due to a chip or crack... but due to defective laminate (vinyl plastic laminate between the inner and outer windshield glass sheets). At first, I thought it was water spots...not the case. Then I thought I was on an acid trip... but remembered I hadn't dropped any. Then I thought it was my eyes until passengers started asking "what's up with the windshield". Anyway, dealer took care of it, and new Pony glass installed... now I feel like I've had LASIK vision correction!

BTW, the weakest part (highest stress point) of the windshield is at the edge of the glass. Chips on the edges will more than likely begin to spread into a crack. If you have time to catch, get the chip repaired as soon as possible. $25-$50 bucks for repair beats replacing entire windshield and risk of air/water leaks due to replacement. (I'm happy to report no leaks from my replacement)
Old 6/5/07, 05:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SixtySix
Hey Don, nah, it's a piece of cake. They'll probably leave it taped up and tell you not to wash it for 24 hours, and then remove the tape tomorrow.

Tell me you went with Diamond Auto Glass and got some Omaha Steaks out of it
Hey Tony how you doing?
My insurance set it up with a place called Elite something or other (Elite Glass ?). But man if I'd have known about the free steak offer, I would have taken them up on it.
Old 6/5/07, 08:47 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Just replaced mine using Safelite, tinted glass with the pony logo and all those little dots ran me 388.00 w/tax. They had a summer sale with 33% off.
Old 6/7/07, 05:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well Safelite/Elite Glass came to my home and replaced it today. It only took about a half hour at most. He was very nice and did a great job. It looks like nothing ever happened. Same exact windshield with pony in it. All covered by Allstate.
They didn't use any type of tape like you mentioned Tony. He said basically you could drive it after about an hour. But I just put it back in the garage and won't wash it for a couple of days.