Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

sandblasted glass:

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/08, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sandblasted glass:

Hey all, got an 07 shelby gt, the windshield appears to be sandblasted really bad. I would assume
from sitting in Las Vegas for upfitting. Didnt notice it till late one afternoon driving into the
setting sun. Actually, all the glass, even the mirrors have pitting. Anybody run into this? Any
dealer resolution? Thanks
Old 9/28/08, 06:49 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oooh that sucks....

good luck.
Old 10/2/08, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

The same thing happened to both my '05 and '06, but not the Bullitt, YET. It's like it was inside the glass itself, not on the outside. The rear windows did not do it. No dealer resolution for me, the answer was that it was road spray and my only option was to buy a new winshield, which was pretty expensive, like $700 or somewhere around there if memory serves. I always thought it was some kind of defect because like I said, it looked like it was in the glass itself, AND, if it was road spray then why wasn't it anywhere on the hood or front end, just the windshield, and every inch of it?
Old 10/4/08, 08:16 PM

My glass didnt get this way over time, it was like this from day 1, with less than 200mi. on. Glass today does
seem to be somewhat softer than before. Driving into the sun in late afternoon is horrible.it really is evid-
dent, even on the side windows. I guess I'm going to speak with the FORD rep. & try to get some
resolution. Thanks for the replys.
Old 10/11/08, 02:29 PM
Cobra Member

I'd take the car back to the dealer.
Old 10/15/08, 03:52 PM

Well, my selling dealer is 200 mi. away. A couple of dealers in my area have balked at the
situation, saying they would have to get authorization from Ford on it. I'm not so sure I want
a glass company or even techs pulling door panels & cowl mouldings anyway, just unsure what I
will do at this point, just want to know my options. Thought I remember a thread a while back
about glass issues, and was wondering if anybody found a resolution..............Thanks.
Old 12/10/08, 04:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Question Interesting! Ours Too!

Interesting! On our last fall cruse before putting the Calstang away for the winter, we were driving straight into the West during sunset. We too noticed thousands of micro pit looking reflections all over the windshield! Wondering if this could be some sort of defective glass product issue? As noting several others with this glass concern too! We tried cleaning and polishing both the front and back glass in the shop and nothing fixed it. Pits seem to be in the glass itself! We will have to confront our Ford dealership on this in the spring, when the driving time returns! CalStang
Old 9/14/09, 07:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MustangLynda
The same thing happened to both my '05 and '06, but not the Bullitt, YET. It's like it was inside the glass itself, not on the outside. The rear windows did not do it. No dealer resolution for me, the answer was that it was road spray and my only option was to buy a new winshield, which was pretty expensive, like $700 or somewhere around there if memory serves. I always thought it was some kind of defect because like I said, it looked like it was in the glass itself, AND, if it was road spray then why wasn't it anywhere on the hood or front end, just the windshield, and every inch of it?
welp, the Bullitt glass is sand blasted now, same as the other two.....
Old 9/15/09, 05:13 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
welp, the Bullitt glass is sand blasted now, same as the other two.....
Little confused... is it an etching on the exterior surface of the glass? Does it feel rough with your hand?

Or is it sort of crystallized in the thickness of the glass itself so that you can't feel it but it stands out driving in the sun?

If you can't feel it, seems like it would be warranty for sure because they can't say you got sprayed with fine rock/sand.
Old 9/15/09, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Little confused... is it an etching on the exterior surface of the glass? Does it feel rough with your hand?

Or is it sort of crystallized in the thickness of the glass itself so that you can't feel it but it stands out driving in the sun?

If you can't feel it, seems like it would be warranty for sure because they can't say you got sprayed with fine rock/sand.
It is in the glass itself. I took both my other mustangs to 2 different dealers and got the same answer - road rash, buy a new one. I gave/give up
Old 9/15/09, 08:10 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It is in the glass itself. I took both my other mustangs to 2 different dealers and got the same answer - road rash, buy a new one. I gave/give up
Have you tried rubbing the svc mgr's face on the windshield so he can tell it isn't road rash???

If that doesn't work, take the owner to lunch and invite him for a face test for dessert!

Maybe that way you can get them to face the facts that it's a defect!

Last edited by cdynaco; 9/15/09 at 08:14 PM.
Old 9/22/09, 12:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

The glass on these cars is terrible... wavy and soft. The windshields will pit... I'm going to shoot for upgraded replacement parts. That means non-oem!
Old 9/22/09, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

The windshield on my previous car, an Infiniti, did the same thing. For what it's worth. My GT has not as of yet.
Old 9/22/09, 01:51 PM

My 07 V6 windshield is all pitted too.

Mine's actually on the surface of the glass. Really shallow pits. You can see the depressions when the light hits just just right and you're looking really closely.

The glare from the pitting is really bad.

I'm going to try using some Klasse all in one and some glaze on there. Supposed to be ok for glass. Maybe the defects will fill up a bit.