2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mods to help MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/07, 03:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
how long would it take for cia and 93 tune to pay for it self any way. The added cost of just the 93 gas, I am pretty sure will not be worth the money.
Old 4/4/07, 03:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure the ROI is longer than usable life of the vehicle, but I got it for RWHP not MPG.
Old 4/4/07, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I have read a lot about the SCT tuner to increase MPG.... I have also seen on some pages there is a usb/OBD2 cable that you can connect to a laptop, and download Tune's to the car directly.... has anyone else seen this?
If you have seen this does it work well?
Old 4/6/07, 12:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I wonder if lowering it would se any gains.
Old 4/7/07, 01:45 AM

These guys have made fuel economy into an art form. Some good tips:
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html

I've averaged 21mpg in my first 600 miles in the GT, mixed highway, '91' gas, manual, and I'm not even really trying. Automatics are generally worse than manuals for gas mileage.
Old 4/7/07, 08:14 PM
GT Member

Your mileage will also go up by a bit as the car breaks in. You are going to have a touch time finding effective mods that are just for gas mileage. Most people who are modding these types of cars are doing it for more performance, not economy.
Old 4/7/07, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

who cares about mpg? if you're worried about mpg, why you bought gt mustang?
Old 4/8/07, 12:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm going from a 6 to an 8, MPG was the last thing I was concerned about.

Buuuuuut......pullies, intake/filter and optimal tire PSI helps.
Old 4/8/07, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cmplxlgc
I'm going from a 6 to an 8, MPG was the last thing I was concerned about.

Buuuuuut......pullies, intake/filter and optimal tire PSI helps.
after supercharger you don't even care.
Old 4/9/07, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Try the "Tornado," as seen on TV!

Old 4/9/07, 12:35 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd be curios about the actual mpg vs. the trip computer avg mpg. I have always found the trip computer to be accurate. With the exception of low gas in the take and a steep incline and the trip goes from “43 miles till empty†to “0 miles...†(You can have it right, you can have it cheap, and you can have it fast. Pick any 2)

I get about 21.5 mpg top up in the winter months vs. 20.9 mpg during the top down weather. My avg mph is about 33 mph. I have a 16 mile one-way commute with 2 school zones, 15 traffic lights, and a train crossing. Speed limits from 30 to 70+ and It can take anywhere from 20 minutes, leaving before the sun is awake, to an hour when everyone is awake.

The only way to get to your goal is to change you driving habits. I don’t use the AC much (top down as much as possible) and I keep it under the 2300 rpmmark. Well, as much as I can stand it. Adding a tune IMHO might get you a 1mpg better avg but considering the price of premium over regular gas I can’t see how this is going to help your goal of spending less.
Old 4/9/07, 12:51 PM
Bullitt Member

My driving habits are fine... I never gun it. I pretty much always stay under 2000rpm. I miss most of the stop lights, driving around 45/50mph. I use 93oct. Usually never have the A/C on. And I seem to be getting around 15mpg. There has to be something wrong? Am I correct?
Old 4/9/07, 12:59 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PlayMisty
These guys have made fuel economy into an art form. Some good tips:
http://www.motherjones.com/news/feat...permilers.html
I was reading that thing and this guy is just too hypocritical for me to stand.

He is so **** about every little bit about driving...and yet owns a super huge screen television. So whats the point...you can watch tv with much lower power consumption on somthing smaller. So why is he talk about everyone wasting so much while driving.
Old 4/9/07, 01:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Consider this:

The Prias only gets its advertised fuel ecomony when you drive it like an 80 year old granny on sunday. Owners watch the MPG gauge instead of the speedo.

Reality is that under normal everyday driving conditions the PRias its just the same as any other crappy 4 banger.

Mustang is meant to be driven like a Mustang.
But Likely we also have an MPG gauge (in the form of bar graph).
THen again you just can't help stomping the peddle and hearing that nice rumble while the Gs push you back in your seat.

As seen on TV items, have all been REALLY tested, and some actally decrease mileage.

Your best bet. Help your engine breath better!
1- Get a tune.
2- Get an aftermarter catback exaust that flows better.
3- Get a cold air intake, if not a supercharge.

Remember more HP means better mileage.
Not the otherway around.
(reason = less effort to propel the weight, therefore less fuel needed to get the job done.)
Old 4/9/07, 03:46 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are only getting 15mpg and you think you are driving normally, maybe something is wrong. Try heading out to a nice flat interstate, set your cruise at 70 and reset the mpg computer. After about 10 miles, check it and see what it reads. (gotta give it a few miles to even out and get a good average) If it reads ~25mpg, car is fine, and it's your driving style/roads that are the problem.
Old 4/9/07, 03:47 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CannonBaller
Remember more HP means better mileage.
Not the otherway around.
(reason = less effort to propel the weight, therefore less fuel needed to get the job done.)
You are sort of right. Its not more hp, better milage. cause in order to make a car accelerate the same rate that weighs the same it requires the exact same power.

What you want to do is mods that help volumetric effeiceny...and when you increase volumetric efficency the car uses less gas to make the same hp Or more power with same fuel. and this is why it would seem more power gets better milage.
Old 4/9/07, 04:00 PM
Cobra R Member

I put on more miles but also needed more gas in 06 than I did in 05 if that helps j/k
Old 4/9/07, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Knight
I was reading that thing and this guy is just too hypocritical for me to stand.

He is so **** about every little bit about driving...and yet owns a super huge screen television. So whats the point...you can watch tv with much lower power consumption on somthing smaller. So why is he talk about everyone wasting so much while driving.
I think he wants to be less dependent on oil imports. Presumably the electricity for his huge flatscreen is Made in America?

Back to topic though, 15mpg taking it really easy sounds a bit off. Tampa, have you checked you tire pressures recently? Makes a significant difference on highway runs. Or it might be the extra drag from the CS bodykit....
Old 4/10/07, 08:29 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by Knight
moderate accelerating. and watching the lights closly and let it coast to reds and if you know it is close to changing to green keep momentum so you don't have to accelerate froma stop.

driving habits are really the best you can do.. a really good tune also helps, people with SCT tunes seem to get better mileage since the engine is being more efficent with its fuel and air.

i agree....i live in jersey sooo my city/highway is about 50/50. right now im averaging about 19mpg all together. i have the JLT cold air and the bamachips xcal2...i noticed an improvement in gas milage. but also driving habits play a huge role. im also running 93 octane
Old 4/10/07, 09:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
My driving habits are fine... I never gun it. I pretty much always stay under 2000rpm. I miss most of the stop lights, driving around 45/50mph. I use 93oct. Usually never have the A/C on. And I seem to be getting around 15mpg. There has to be something wrong? Am I correct?
I think your wasteing your money on the 93 fuel unless your car is tuned for it. You have to gun it every once in a while....

Quick Reply: Mods to help MPG???