2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Mods to help MPG???

Search this Thread

Old 4/2/07 | 02:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Mods to help MPG???

I recently purcahsed a 07' GT/CS and I am getting around 15mpg.... are there any mods you may have found to help with increasing MPG? I see posts on other threads where people are claming to get anywhere from 17-27mpg average.
Old 4/2/07 | 02:25 PM
Cobra R Member

I get about 19 highway its called the drive withing 10mph of the speed limit for a few minutes for every sprint you do
Old 4/2/07 | 02:26 PM
eci
Banned

Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
I recently purcahsed a 07' GT/CS and I am getting around 15mpg.... are there any mods you may have found to help with increasing MPG? I see posts on other threads where people are claming to get anywhere from 17-27mpg average.
The best mod for you in that case would be a shorter right leg!
Old 4/2/07 | 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Alot of products actually claim to help but I don't believe in that. Around town I get about 12-15 mpg because of all the long lights and the stop and go traffic around here. on the highway I get about 25 mpg at about 70mph
Old 4/2/07 | 02:27 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by eci
The best mod for you in that case would be a shorter right leg!
yeah that might help too, but he might discover a pedal extention
Old 4/2/07 | 02:30 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm 6'8".... so shorter right leg wont help.
I changed to a K&N Air filter because they claim to help... but I do outside sales, so I drive around all the time. I need any help I can get.
Old 4/2/07 | 03:22 PM
Needs to be more Astony

moderate accelerating. and watching the lights closly and let it coast to reds and if you know it is close to changing to green keep momentum so you don't have to accelerate froma stop.

driving habits are really the best you can do.. a really good tune also helps, people with SCT tunes seem to get better milegae since the engine is being more efficent with its fuel and air.
Old 4/2/07 | 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

What is a SCT Tune???
Old 4/2/07 | 03:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I want my, I want my MPG!!!
Old 4/2/07 | 04:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

buy an $2500 honda civic or focus and claim your mustang as a weekend car on your insurance I did outside sales for years and there is no way in hell I would use something nice for work.
Old 4/2/07 | 04:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Overinflate your tires to 80 PSI.

Just kidding, don't do that!
Old 4/2/07 | 04:50 PM
Bullitt Member

ok... so I have a whole bunch of great answers.... but is there really anything you can do to your car that actually increases MPG, besides getting another car,shorter legs, or cautious driving? Does a CAI help at all? are there any mods that actually help? There has to be a way how some people are claiming they get somewhere between 17-27mpg in other threads.
Old 4/2/07 | 04:57 PM
Cobra R Member

There has to be a way how some people are claiming they get somewhere between 17-27mpg in other threads.
They are probably driving mostly highway, and not so much in the city or they are lying to you. My first weekend I averaged around 10mpg all city
Old 4/2/07 | 04:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yes, it is all about your driving style. If you average 25mph in stop and go traffic, you will be lucky to get 15. If you drive 60 miles a day on the interstate at 70, you will get 25+. People do get good gas mileage in these cars, but only when driven properly.

A CAI and tune might help you pick up 1mpg, but it also might lower it because your driving style will change with the added throttle response and power.
Old 4/2/07 | 05:06 PM
Cobra Member

Taller gears - 3.31 if you have 3.55s. Taller tires (effectively increases gear ratio). Limit idling. Super soft starts. Run full synthetic fluids in the motor, tranny and rear. Not much else will really do anything significant. The single biggest factor is driving style - bar none.
Old 4/2/07 | 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Your mileage will also improve as the engine gets broken in, but make sure you manually do the math and check the mileage after a whole tank, as the instant mileage is very inaccurate. I'll bet you will see that you are getting better mileage than you think. I average between 19.5 and 22mpg in mixed driving conditions.
Old 4/2/07 | 06:15 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by Knight
driving habits are really the best you can do.

When I grew up, I learned to drive on a '72 Buick with a 455/4 barrel, and a '77 LTD with a 400 ci, and I can honestly tell you, driving habits will make more difference than anything else.

A lot of stop & go, short hop city driving will kill you, too. Not much you can do about that when you're driving a V8 performance vehicle.

One thing that I do - and this really only works if you live in a city environment - is that I don't use my car for every little thing. Get out and bicycle or walk for stuff that's a mile or less away. It's good for you anyway!
Old 4/2/07 | 06:36 PM
Needs to be more Astony

ok... so I have a whole bunch of great answers.... but is there really anything you can do to your car that actually increases MPG, besides getting another car,shorter legs, or cautious driving?
so you are looking for better gas mileage but you are not willing to do any of the suggestions?

There are not really parts you can add to get better mileage.. you could swap a v6....or a 4 cyl in the car.

But the car at 4.6L or displacment takes that much air in every revolution so making it burn the fuel more efficently and keeping rpm as low as possible.
Old 4/2/07 | 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Yea, you're nuts if you use the trip computer's instant mileage as any sort of accurate information.
Old 4/2/07 | 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I've gotten better milage through 5 means:
1) Use cruise control (and the world would be a better place if everyone else did too)
2) Driving habits: accelerate slower (gradually build pressure on the gas instead of surging and letting off as you get to the desired speed) and feel out the landscape. For instance, if I'm doing 40 on a fairly level road or even 30 on a downhill I'll put the car in 5th gear and use minimal effort to maintain speed while not straining the engine. you can also determine better shift points. Uphill I'll shift at 2000-2100 rpm but on a level road it can be done at 1800, and on a downhill I've shifted as low as 1500 rpm. Also, though annoying for everyone behind you (especially me), you could get up to speed before getting to a hill and slow down as you climb then let gravity do its thing on the way back down. Actually, one of the best ways you can get an idea of the most efficient way to shift and apply power is to ride a bicycle on a hilly road. You'll literally feel how much energy is used based on incline and gear.
3) K&N's OEM replacement filter saw gains of about 1-1.5 MPG through the suburbs (mixed city/highway) in my car
4) Cold Air Intake: I saw gains of 1.5-2 MPG over stock. When driving slowly. Of course because the throttle response is better and you get more power, the more you accelerate the more air your engine draws in and the more gas it throws in too. And like theedge said, your driving habits might change.
5) SCT Tune: I bought a tuner made by SCT from Tillman speed with a couple of tunes. Just like the CAI, I saw significant improvements in milage (about 2.5 mpg over stock and about 1.5 over the K&N) when I drive slowly, and 3-4 mpg improvements over the CAI in moderate driving. Just like the CAI though, if you're not careful it'll change your driving habits and your milage will suck.

And as far as the milage counter goes, I use the Average MPG counter (think its only available through the message center that comes with the Interior Upgrade Package) and reset it every tank fill. It's always been exact. The instant MPG bar graph is useless though.

Quick Reply: Mods to help MPG???