2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

MMD Ducktail Spoiler?

Search this Thread

Old 2/15/20, 01:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MMD Ducktail Spoiler?

Hey guys, I'm considering switching out my OE spoiler for the MMD ducktail spoiler but I'm still on the fence about it. One of my concerns is the fact that the front OE spoiler holes aren't used. The spoiler is held on by the two rear bolt holes and double sided tape. The front holes aren't used and are just covered up by the spoiler. I think water can eventually make its way into the trunk. Does anyone have this spoiler and have you encountered this issue? The other thing about the spoiler is that I think it only looks good at certain angles but not others; thus one of the reasons I'm still on the fence about it. I currently have the V6 spoiler on my GT/CS.

You can see at about 6:35 in the video that only two bolt holes are used.
Old 2/15/20, 05:16 PM
GT Member

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
Hey guys, I'm considering switching out my OE spoiler for the MMD ducktail spoiler but I'm still on the fence about it. One of my concerns is the fact that the front OE spoiler holes aren't used. The spoiler is held on by the two rear bolt holes and double sided tape. The front holes aren't used and are just covered up by the spoiler. I think water can eventually make its way into the trunk. Does anyone have this spoiler and have you encountered this issue? The other thing about the spoiler is that I think it only looks good at certain angles but not others; thus one of the reasons I'm still on the fence about it. I currently have the V6 spoiler on my GT/CS.

You can see at about 6:35 in the video that only two bolt holes are used.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsF-2ul454U

Hey CalSpec,

I know this isn't the same model listed but it might be something to consider. Fit was great in the end. I too looked at the Duck-tail spoiler but concluded it was too high or just too much for the car. End result of the GT500 Spoiler is much cleaner, IMO. The neat thing about the GT500 spoiler is that it does use the OEM mounting points as well as two additional points at the ends. User choice and not required. I actually choose not to use this and didn't like how the Spoiler look after install. I gently removed it, re-taped everything using new 3m and carefully drilled the two optional holes. Now it is secure with 4 bolts and doubled sided 3M. Very solid mounting and no fear of it going anywhere.

Something to note after seeing that video. The GT500 spoiler mounts using the same two holes leaving the forward two unused. The other two I spoke of are at the ends, which corrects that lean-backward look you get when looking at it from the side. Also, I can confirm that the two forward OE bolt holes are very well covered by the 3M tape creating a nice seal. For good measure though you could over the underside of it with some sort of sealant and it wouldn't leak.

Same year and color as yours:

you can see a bunch more pictures here too. https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-white-546716/

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Duck-Tail all said and done.

Best of luck,

Cheers

Nemi

Last edited by Nemisus; 2/15/20 at 05:53 PM.
Old 2/16/20, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Nemisus
Hey CalSpec,

I know this isn't the same model listed but it might be something to consider. Fit was great in the end. I too looked at the Duck-tail spoiler but concluded it was too high or just too much for the car. End result of the GT500 Spoiler is much cleaner, IMO. The neat thing about the GT500 spoiler is that it does use the OEM mounting points as well as two additional points at the ends. User choice and not required. I actually choose not to use this and didn't like how the Spoiler look after install. I gently removed it, re-taped everything using new 3m and carefully drilled the two optional holes. Now it is secure with 4 bolts and doubled sided 3M. Very solid mounting and no fear of it going anywhere.

Something to note after seeing that video. The GT500 spoiler mounts using the same two holes leaving the forward two unused. The other two I spoke of are at the ends, which corrects that lean-backward look you get when looking at it from the side. Also, I can confirm that the two forward OE bolt holes are very well covered by the 3M tape creating a nice seal. For good measure though you could over the underside of it with some sort of sealant and it wouldn't leak.

Same year and color as yours:

you can see a bunch more pictures here too. https://themustangsource.com/forums/...-white-546716/

I don't think you'd be disappointed with the Duck-Tail all said and done.

Best of luck,

Cheers

Nemi
Hey Nemi,

Your car looks great. We went down the same paths on some of our parts choices. The GT500 spoiler looks good. I'm not sure if I'm willing to drill additional holes at the ends to mount it however. Thanks for the suggestion of using a sealant for the exposed holes. I'll probably do that. By the way, your tail lights look great. I've been thinking of getting the exact same ones with clear white tri-bars. I know they also come in red, red smoked, and white smoked lenses. I couldn't find any good pictures of the clear white ones on a white Mustang and here you are with a GT/CS like mine. lol I currently have the Raxiom Gen5 tail lights but the clear coat is peeling on the passenger side making it look ugly so it's time to change it up.

p.s. I just updated my signature since I haven't been on here in awhile.
Old 2/16/20, 09:29 PM
GT Member

Wow CalSpec,

You really do have some similar mods. Whipple was one of the first SC's I looked at before finally pulling the trigger on the Kenne Bell. Carroll Shelby was offering 20% on their Stage 1 version (keeps everything 50 state) so I couldn't pass on it. The 2.6 is a beast I'll give it that. A bit of let down is that it is whisper quiet. Virtually no whine can be heard. Some whirring can be picked up on low speeds so you know its there. Some very nice mods you have indeed!

You know San Jose isn't all that far from Santa Rosa. Perhaps once day we'll meet up and compare side by side. Wouldn't that be a nice photo op!

Drilling the extra two holes was a bit overwhelming at first but once done I did prefer how it turned out over without.

As far as the Tails, there is a place on eBay that sells them and they have great customer service. Significantly cheaper than the Raxioms when they sold them. From what I've read the Spyders are the same light just re-branded.

Thanks for sharing that signature. Great stuff man!

Cheers,

Nemi

Last edited by Nemisus; 2/16/20 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2/16/20, 10:09 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,089 Likes on 789 Posts
I agree with Nemisus on the GT500 spoiler. Looks great and if it uses the factory holes that is a win.

One other you might look at is the Roush rear spoiler. Not sure about the setup on the pre-2010 cars, but I have the 2010-2014 version and like the look very much. It is similar to the GT500, but a little bigger and some what flatter. It is three parts, two fenders and center. You can find info here and it is available at several Mustang accessory outlets including AM.

https://www.roushperformance.com/mus...2005-2009.html

https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush...rear-wing.html

Pictures of my 2014 as an example...

Old 2/17/20, 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Wow CalSpec,

You really do have some similar mods. Whipple was one of the first SC's I looked at before finally pulling the trigger on the Kenne Bell. Carroll Shelby was offering 20% on their Stage 1 version (keeps everything 50 state) so I couldn't pass on it. The 2.6 is a beast I'll give it that. A bit of let down is that it is whisper quiet. Virtually no whine can be heard. Some whirring can be picked up on low speeds so you know its there. Some very nice mods you have indeed!

You know San Jose isn't all that far from Santa Rosa. Perhaps once day we'll meet up and compare side by side. Wouldn't that be a nice photo op!

Drilling the extra two holes was a bit overwhelming at first but once done I did prefer how it turned out over without.

As far as the Tails, there is a place on eBay that sells them and they have great customer service. Significantly cheaper than the Raxioms when they sold them. From what I've read the Spyders are the same light just re-branded.

Thanks for sharing that signature. Great stuff man!

Cheers,

Nemi
Hey Nemi,

Before I got my Whipple back in 2010, I had also considered the Kenne Bell unit. The decision to go with Whipple boiled down to customer service and because I was referred to Jared at Lethal Performance. Jared gave me a great deal. That's strange that you said the Kenne Bell is quiet because everything I've read mentions the Whipple being quieter. I can actually hear the Whipple at full boost even with my loud exhaust.

Where did you get your GT500 spoiler? Was it pre-painted? The white on your spoiler looks spot on. I'm always afraid pre-painted stuff won't have good color matching.

I'm currently eyeing some
taillights on Amazon taillights on Amazon
right now for $238.95 with prime shipping.

Yeah Santa Rosa isn't that far from SJ. A photo op would be cool!

Originally Posted by shaneyusa
I agree with Nemisus on the GT500 spoiler. Looks great and if it uses the factory holes that is a win.

One other you might look at is the Roush rear spoiler. Not sure about the setup on the pre-2010 cars, but I have the 2010-2014 version and like the look very much. It is similar to the GT500, but a little bigger and some what flatter. It is three parts, two fenders and center. You can find info here and it is available at several Mustang accessory outlets including AM.

https://www.roushperformance.com/mus...2005-2009.html

https://www.americanmuscle.com/roush...rear-wing.html

Pictures of my 2014 as an example...

Hey Shane,

I like how the Roush spoiler looks on the 2010+ Mustangs but not so much on the 05-09's because of the legs or whatever you call them. I also don't want to drill into my fenders for the spoiler ends since it's a 3pc design.

You can see what I mean in this picture.

Old 2/17/20, 06:29 PM
GT Member

Hey Man,

Got my GT500 from American Muscle. For a pre-painted model the cost can't be beat. It arrived well packed and zero scratches. There are moments where I think the white on the spoiler is a bit brighter but that could have to do with the car being 13 years old and the spoiler being freshly painted. Otherwise most can't tell. I am weird like that. Spot something out of place, and it'll be all I see.

238 free shipping is about 35$ less than I paid so great deal.

I am a huge fan of the Roush Styling. Probably because I've owned one and cloned another. That said the cost isn't nearly worth it. Especially since they don't come pre-painted and are already expensive. Best to by a Roush over piecing one together.

Old 2/18/20, 12:19 AM
GT Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I originally put the MMD spoiler on my car and it fit like crap and it is way to tall. I went with the Ford GT500 spoiler. It uses the four factory holes that were used for the stock spoiler. Here are three pictures. OE spoiler, Ducktail and GT500. Unfortunately I don't have any showing how bad it fit.

OE spoiler

MMD spoiler

GT500 spoiler.

Old 2/18/20, 11:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey Man,

Got my GT500 from American Muscle. For a pre-painted model the cost can't be beat. It arrived well packed and zero scratches. There are moments where I think the white on the spoiler is a bit brighter but that could have to do with the car being 13 years old and the spoiler being freshly painted. Otherwise most can't tell. I am weird like that. Spot something out of place, and it'll be all I see.

238 free shipping is about 35$ less than I paid so great deal.

I am a huge fan of the Roush Styling. Probably because I've owned one and cloned another. That said the cost isn't nearly worth it. Especially since they don't come pre-painted and are already expensive. Best to by a Roush over piecing one together.
Hey Nemi,

When I had my Kaenen cowl hood painted at a body shop back in 2010, I couldn't leave my car for color matching so they just went with the Ford color code which is HP. Drove around for awhile without a hood and had someone next to me take pics of my polished Whipple at a stop light. lol The paint turned out looking just a little brighter than the rest of the car. I wasn't happy about it but the painter said it'll eventually fade and blend in. I just went with it. I had the idea not to wax the hood when I waxed the rest of the car. That probably helped it fade quicker. Not sure how long it took but it looks ok now. My advice would be not to wax your spoiler for quite awhile.

Originally Posted by JimB.
I originally put the MMD spoiler on my car and it fit like crap and it is way to tall. I went with the Ford GT500 spoiler. It uses the four factory holes that were used for the stock spoiler. Here are three pictures. OE spoiler, Ducktail and GT500. Unfortunately I don't have any showing how bad it fit.

OE spoiler

MMD spoiler

GT500 spoiler.
Hey Jim,

The GT500 spoiler does look cleaner. I've been reading the reviews of the MMD ducktail on AM and some people had issues with the holes not lining up or the ends would lift up and not sit flush because of the poor double sided tape which isn't 3M brand. Has this been your experience?
Old 2/19/20, 12:57 AM
GT Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
If I remember correctly it did not stay down in the center. Like it had the wrong curvature to match the trunk lid. In all honesty I think that the spoiler is too big for the car. Just my opinion. Here is another picture that I found.

Old 2/19/20, 06:04 PM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,089 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by 2007CalSpec
Hey Shane,

I like how the Roush spoiler looks on the 2010+ Mustangs but not so much on the 05-09's because of the legs or whatever you call them. I also don't want to drill into my fenders for the spoiler ends since it's a 3pc design.

You can see what I mean in this picture.
Yup, I understand... Kind of wondered about that when I found the link for you. I would probably go with the real GT500 spoiler. Not been hearing great things about the AM products lately... Kind of what JimB was getting to. Good luck!