05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Got some estimates to fill trunk spoiler holes (Chicagoland)

Search this Thread

Old 12/26/06, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got some estimates to fill trunk spoiler holes (Chicagoland)

Went to a few places over the last few days. The first one from was from a place that has done a few things for me in the past. He said he would weld the holes then use a little fiberglass filler. $536 and he said it would look like there was never a spoiler on there. I kept looking and the prices kept increasing. The last place I went told me the trunklid would bend when welding and they would need to blend into the quarters because my color will be SO hard to match. They printed me up an estimate at over $1200! Anybody have a good place in the Chicagoland (western burbs hopefully) that will do this right at a reasonable price? I don't want paint touching anything but the trunk and as little bondo as possible.
Old 12/26/06, 10:28 AM
GT Member

I would really recommend that you find a v6 and talk them into trading. I lined up a trade on mine really easy. I ended up falling in love with the gt500 spoiler and went that route though.

Just my .02
Old 12/26/06, 10:31 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a solution........... 3d carbon spoiler........ j/k The funny thing is I got my car without the spoiler and now I wished I wouldn't have put the factory spoiler on.
Old 12/26/06, 10:38 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are some insane estimates . I'd see about trading out the trunk lid w/spoiler with one w/o a spoiler. I'm sure you'd fine someone interested. It may even be cheaper to purchase a new lid then paint it... I know that it would definitely be cheaper than $1,200. There are several spoiler options that utilizes the factory holes or are you set on a particular spoiler or no spoiler at all?
Old 12/26/06, 11:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
For $1200 I'd keep the factory spoiler and like it.

Spend the $$$ on something else.

Just my $0.02...
Old 12/26/06, 12:36 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
check some of the bone yards in the area you may get lucky and find one in your color
Old 12/26/06, 01:16 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
That is friggin insane....... I almost fell outta my chair when I read your estimates.

Here's another thing to consider- try the dealers in your area. Potentially you could work a deal so that when they order their stock they could order without the spoiler, and you could swap them. Your lid would have to be perfect though and likely you'd have to give them some cash, but it would be better than paying the amount of those estimates.
Old 12/26/06, 03:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by tom281
That is friggin insane....... I almost fell outta my chair when I read your estimates.

Here's another thing to consider- try the dealers in your area. Potentially you could work a deal so that when they order their stock they could order without the spoiler, and you could swap them. Your lid would have to be perfect though and likely you'd have to give them some cash, but it would be better than paying the amount of those estimates.

Doubt they would go for that... that's illegally modifying NEW stock with USED parts. They couldn't sell the car as new if they did that. An ethical dealer would steer you to their parts department to buy a new deck lid.

Plus... I'd hate to buy a car that had been cannibalized in that fashion with parts of unknown heritage. When I pay for new I want NEW.

I still think that your best bet is to learn to love your spoiler or go aftermarket.
Old 12/26/06, 03:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah, I agree that a dealer won't swap out parts from a new car on the lot.

Also, swapping trunks with somebody is unlikely. I would have to find somebody (1) with a spoilerless windveil blue that (2) wants the factory spoiler and (3) is willing to swap with somebody they don't know.

I might go the new decklid route as I've seen them for less than $300. Also, if I find a spoiler I really like. But at this point, my favorite look is spoilerless.

I know a lot of people on this board have had the holes filled. They say about $400 is appropriate so I'll keep looking. I would think it's not too difficult of a job...
Old 12/26/06, 04:01 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I'd recommend calling Saleen and getting a decklid from them. I paid $500 to have my holes filled and CDC ducktail installed here in Cali.
Old 12/26/06, 06:28 PM
Cobra Member

Well, there are flat plastic caps that will work and its looks very factory. Posted elsewhere in the forum. I entertained doing just that, but decided to have them properly filled when I had my stripes done.
Old 12/26/06, 07:08 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Phorty
Went to a few places over the last few days. The first one from was from a place that has done a few things for me in the past. He said he would weld the holes then use a little fiberglass filler. $536 and he said it would look like there was never a spoiler on there. I kept looking and the prices kept increasing. The last place I went told me the trunklid would bend when welding and they would need to blend into the quarters because my color will be SO hard to match. They printed me up an estimate at over $1200! Anybody have a good place in the Chicagoland (western burbs hopefully) that will do this right at a reasonable price? I don't want paint touching anything but the trunk and as little bondo as possible.
I was quoted $1,200 to get the holes filled, CDC ducktail purchased/installed, and everything painted. Your first quote seems about right.
Old 12/26/06, 07:13 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
I'd recommend calling Saleen and getting a decklid from them. I paid $500 to have my holes filled and CDC ducktail installed here in Cali.
I live up in Temecula, about an hour north of S.D. Where's the shop at you got the work done? That's the best price I've seen. I take it you bought the CDC already painted and just had them install?
Old 12/26/06, 08:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by nickvaz
I live up in Temecula, about an hour north of S.D. Where's the shop at you got the work done? That's the best price I've seen. I take it you bought the CDC already painted and just had them install?
Correct. I got mine done in LA but I would not recommend the shop that did mine as I had months worth of problems that has since been taken care of. It's all document in a thread called "the nightmare continues". Although the shop that finally corrected the problem was "California Autobody" in Hawthorne,CA. Eitherway you should be able to find a body shop that will fill and repaint your decklid as well as install your pre-painted ducktail for under $600. $1200 is a ripoff as that's almost what it would cost to get striped painted on.
Old 12/26/06, 08:11 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by Phorty

What shops are you dealing with?
Old 12/26/06, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Doubt they would go for that... that's illegally modifying NEW stock with USED parts. They couldn't sell the car as new if they did that. An ethical dealer would steer you to their parts department to buy a new deck lid.

Plus... I'd hate to buy a car that had been cannibalized in that fashion with parts of unknown heritage. When I pay for new I want NEW.

I still think that your best bet is to learn to love your spoiler or go aftermarket.
Lol, I agree with you, but how many dealers would you consider "ethical"?
Old 12/26/06, 09:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Dang.... and I'm getting reading to drill holes because my wife absolutely wants a spoiler on her non-winged original sonic blue V6.....
Attached Thumbnails Got some estimates to fill trunk spoiler holes (Chicagoland)-3852.jpg  
Old 12/27/06, 09:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Willie
Dang.... and I'm getting reading to drill holes because my wife absolutely wants a spoiler on her non-winged original sonic blue V6.....
I would post an ad to swap decks if I were you. I'm sure somebody wants yours without the spoiler. That way you get the factory spoiler trunk for free.
Old 12/27/06, 09:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by RadBOSS
Well, there are flat plastic caps that will work and its looks very factory. Posted elsewhere in the forum. I entertained doing just that, but decided to have them properly filled when I had my stripes done.
I have some painted caps on mine right now. I have silicone on the top and underneath to keep water out but I'm not sure if it's a perfect seal. It actually looks pretty good. I want to get them filled and not worry about it anymore.
Old 12/27/06, 11:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by blackstang06
Lol, I agree with you, but how many dealers would you consider "ethical"?
Yep... said that on purpose... it was a hint to Phorty to go find an "unethical" dealer who will do the trunk swap!

In all seriousness though I can't imagine a dealer doing that to a new car unless there is obscene profit in it for them.