2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

A May 24th Pre-Order Tale

Search this Thread

Old 5/26/04, 12:29 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as far as hassles go, i dont really think i had any hassles, or hassles that i didnt create myself. I emailed the big 4 dealers in my area, and followed their responses back if they supplied some information, or seemed cooperative, not just a 'give me your contact info and i can tell you more' like i got from one of the dealers.

The guy i went with i communicated with over email a couple times, as well as another dealer, those two were the most helpful. I went to each dealership to meet them, and also to check out the other 2, to see if i could get a little more headway face to face. Even after getting all the help and assistance i got at the one i ended up going with, i just wanted to double check, just to feel comfortable. That's the decision that led me to extra hassles, driving all across the area, running into brick walls and misinformation, etc. Then just after all that, walked in on Monday, said let's try this again, and did it. The only hassles i had were exploring the different dealers face to face, versus email or telephone, and those hassles were just so i could feel comfortable with the dealer i was going with, making sure someone else didnt have more, or offered better. I feel comfortable with the decision i made, and even after thinking about, putting $500, i never batted an eye, because i felt comfortable, did my research, chose the dealer, the car, and had no qualms bout any parts of it. I felt good then, and feel good now.

Now if only we could time warp to October....

Anyone got info on DORA yet, and ive got to follow-up with my guy in a few weeks as far as allocation and making sure the order is pulled.
Old 5/26/04, 06:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got it from the very first thread about order codes, the one that had running boards and bedliners on it. I guess that thread was deleted.

DORA - Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgement (This is a confirmation that the dealer can request stating that Ford has received the order. It also contains model code and order number info, which can be used to check on your order.)
Old 5/26/04, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Hi all. B)
The explanation of the DORA above is correct. It is generated by The Ford system(DCS) the day after an order is submitted and is an acknowledgment of a received order, as the name implies. It is good to get one of these from your dealer but not crucial. You may want to at least get your order number as this number is what Ford partly uses, besides vin#, to track a vehicle through the process.
The next piece of info you should receive is the scheduled date. This is the date your car is scheduled to be born. This date is usually assigned within a few days of your car actually being allocated to your dealer. Cars are " pulled for production" Thursday nights during a complicated allocation process which I don't have time to detail. I will try to answer specific questions, if you guys have any.
I don't want to sound like I am correcting information or the people who are kind enough to try and provide it, but if I can clarify something I think is important for you all, I will. For instance, a dealer can access Concepts, the Ford computer, through FMCdealer. I do it daily. I didn't want anyone to think they were misled if a dealer said they were using FMCdealer for this purpose. Thanks.
Old 5/26/04, 09:04 AM
Bullitt Member

I went back to my dealership yesterday, it is true you could have placed the order on the 17th like I did, but the sales manager at RT-23 Auto Mall in Butler, NJ told me he should have the prices sometime in mid - late June. I hope he's right cause I can't wait anymore.
Old 5/26/04, 09:42 AM
V6 Member

Here's what I ordered yesterday. The owner said he was guaranteed one and mine would be the one he ordered. Also, he agreed to “Dealer Invoice†for the price. That isn’t the price he pays for the car, is it? Does anyone know what that means exactly? I know it’s better than MSRP so it’ll be a good deal, but I wasn’t sure how good of a deal it would be. Should probably bring him a bottle of booze to say thanks if he’s really hooking me up.
Old 5/26/04, 09:53 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Invoice in theory is what the dealer pays, but its all a number game. Dealers usually pay less than invoice.

Either way, getting the invoice price is usually $2,000-4000 lower than MSRP. Most of the time, its the best deal you can get on new cars. Unless there's rebates and other incentives, then its possible to get a car below invoice since the automaker would pay the dealer for the dollars of the rebate.

See Edmunds.com 2004 Mustang.
Old 5/26/04, 10:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by nh5622@May. 26th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Here's what I ordered yesterday. The owner said he was guaranteed one and mine would be the one he ordered. Also, he agreed to “Dealer Invoice†for the price. That isn’t the price he pays for the car, is it? Does anyone know what that means exactly? I know it’s better than MSRP so it’ll be a good deal, but I wasn’t sure how good of a deal it would be. Should probably bring him a bottle of booze to say thanks if he’s really hooking me up.
Why would they sell one at invoice? :scratch:
Old 5/26/04, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BEK355@May. 26th, 2004, 2:38 PM
Hi all. B)
The explanation of the DORA above is correct. It is generated by The Ford system(DCS) the day after an order is submitted and is an acknowledgment of a received order, as the name implies. It is good to get one of these from your dealer but not crucial. You may want to at least get your order number as this number is what Ford partly uses, besides vin#, to track a vehicle through the process.
The next piece of info you should receive is the scheduled date. This is the date your car is scheduled to be born. This date is usually assigned within a few days of your car actually being allocated to your dealer. Cars are " pulled for production" Thursday nights during a complicated allocation process which I don't have time to detail. I will try to answer specific questions, if you guys have any.
I don't want to sound like I am correcting information or the people who are kind enough to try and provide it, but if I can clarify something I think is important for you all, I will. For instance, a dealer can access Concepts, the Ford computor, through FMCdealer. I do it daily. I didn't want anyone to think they were misled if a dealer said they were using FMCdealer for this purpose. Thanks.
A few years ago when I bought my Bullitt, I used the VOPC system that at the time had an 800 # to call.....You could check status same as the dealers. You needed an Order #, dealer code and various vehicle identifiers such as Body type (Ex P42) etc. I don't have that info anymore, maybe someone here does. It was great because you could folow the progress on your car as it went went thru the system. Obviously it's a bit early for this right now but soon enoough!

Ron
Old 5/26/04, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by bullittman+May. 26th, 2004, 1:33 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bullittman @ May. 26th, 2004, 1:33 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BEK355@May. 26th, 2004, 2:38 PM
Hi all. B)
I don't want to sound like I am correcting information or the people who are kind enough to try and provide it, but if I can clarify something I think is important for you all, I will. For instance, a dealer can access Concepts, the Ford computor, through FMCdealer. I do it daily. I didn't want anyone to think they were misled if a dealer said they were using FMCdealer for this purpose. Thanks.
A few years ago when I bought my Bullitt, I used the VOPC system that at the time had an 800 # to call.....You could check status same as the dealers. You needed an Order #, dealer code and various vehicle identifiers such as Body type (Ex P42) etc. I don't have that info anymore, maybe someone here does. It was great because you could folow the progress on your car as it went went thru the system. Obviously it's a bit early for this right now but soon enoough!

Ron [/b][/quote]
My salesman told me about that he said anytime of the day I could call and they could tell you exactly where your car is.
Old 5/26/04, 12:14 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@May. 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
He's just being nice! He's really good friends with my uncle so he's doing him a favor by hooking me up. "It's not what you know, it's who you know."
Old 5/26/04, 12:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by kevinb120@May. 26th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Are you saying if one of us walked into your dealership you wouldn't do that for us!?!
Old 5/26/04, 12:28 PM
GT Member

Forgive me, but I'm confused by the idea of dealers taking orders without providing the buyer with a firm price. Are you guys who ordered cars going to be shocked that when your car is delivered it is not for the price you expected?
Old 5/26/04, 12:37 PM
V6 Member

That's why we listed the price = dealer invoice on the contract I signed. I'm sure people could negotiate similarly. Ford has been saying the prices should be around a 5% increase from the 04 model, right? We know the ballpark we’re playing in.

You’re right though…we don’t know exactly what we’re paying. Since the deposit is refundable…if the price isn’t right, we can walk away.
Old 5/26/04, 12:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks to all for the DORA info. Very helpful B)

The one i got Monday was sent to Ford, i watched it happen, and same sheet, so take that for what it's worth. Mine was not hand written tho, so if all you have is handwritten notes...you're f'd.
Yeah icwspiker3 I thought that was odd, not getting a computer print out like so many other folks have received, but I think I may be okay. My salesman called this morning to tell me that my order had in fact gone out, and was the very first one sent from their dealership (the largest in Michigan, according to him). He said I could drop by anytime to xerox the order, and now it was just a matter of waiting for Ford to "pull" the order and build the car. The form he sent me home with was an "official" order form (replete with 2 carbons) though the info itself (build codes etc) was entered by hand. Perhaps this form is merely for their own (as well as my) record books?

It is generated by The Ford system(DCS) the day after an order is submitted and is an acknowledgment of a received order, as the name implies
BEK, so does this mean I can pick up my DORA sometime soon (read: today ) or it is likely not to be issued until after the order is pulled, sometime around 2 weeks from now?

Cheers
Old 5/26/04, 12:58 PM

Hi to all on this great site ! B)

This is my 1st posting after discovering today and have been checking out some of the topics and information. What an incredible wealth of information and ideas here, and all related to the great Mustang .

I love the Mustang 2005 -- as many others do here also. I really like some of the design changes and options that will be available. My last Mustang was the 1999 Mustang GT , and in the distant past a vintage HI-O-Silver (cuz it was silver) 1972 Grande Coupe. I loved both those cars.

But I think it will be time once again to take the jump into the 2005 ...did I say I love the design of this model....yes, I think I did

Anyway, I am looking forward to being an active member in this great forum , sharing the love for the passion that is called MUSTANG !!!

A2johnny
Old 5/26/04, 01:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Hayz,
Yes, you should be able to get a copy the day after you submit your order and they put it in the system. I would call the dealer and tell them you want a copy as someone at the dealership needs to be paying attention and save it for you.
Old 5/26/04, 01:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by BEK355@May. 26th, 2004, 7:05 PM
Hayz,
Yes, you should be able to get a copy the day after you submit your order and they put it in the system. I would call the dealer and tell them you want a copy as someone at the dealership needs to be paying attention and save it for you.
Yes, I went in monday to enter ..Went back Tuesday and rec'd the confirmation copy with the order # and other info.

Ron