2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Manual Trans owners - check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 2/9/05, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by azoufan@February 9, 2005, 10:14 PM
Anyone want to guess what will be the first thing I check when I take delivery of my new car? My salesman is going to think I'm a nutjob! Thanks in advance for finding this out! :worship:

Sean
I'm with Sean. Thanks to all the guys that have posted. I will crawl under the car as soon as I get it (should be here this week).

For anyone who believes that they are cost cutting, you must be out of your mind! If Ford has to do a recall it will cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars (letters/transmission expense/man hours) not to mention the engineering that they paid for with that tranny and shield (yes those holes are there for a reason). :scratch: A more likely reason was that a computer that ran the robot on the assembly line was mis-programmed. Either way Job 1 needs to get on the ball.
Old 2/9/05, 10:26 PM
Cobra Member

Matt - you might be right - but I doubt that Ford will ever publically acknowledge the missing bolts - there may someday be a TSB - that will instruct dealers IF a customer complains, to add the bolts - but it's frustrating that they won't figure out how many were missed and call us in for the fix.....I've purchsed so many Fords over the years - you can begin to spot areas where the beancounters have had their way. Compared with my 96 V6 Mustang Convetible - this one's stripped (and it is a fully loaded Preimum GT w/ the IUP) - not to pick on Ford - I'm sure GM, etc. does it too.

But - like you - I'm not giving this car back - just a bit dissapointed with some of the cost cutting (prop rod, no decent interior lighting or trunk open button for that matter or locking rear folddown seats, no lights in the vanity mirrors, kinda cheap carpeting, no "pleather" insert in the rear interior quarter panels, no rear mats, cheesy manual shift **** - things that I would gladly pay a few hundred $$'s more to make it a nicer car to ride in, look at, drive, etc.......

But it's all forgiven when I was cruising down the blvd. today and easily "chirped" the tires hitting 2nd gear - just can't describe that thrill of being able to do that in a V8, rear drive, traction loc, honest to goodness American Pony/Muscle car that has a long and storied heritage!!! Sorry for the editorial - just in a typing mood I guess
Old 2/9/05, 10:31 PM
Cobra Member

Lol, I can hear it now...

Old timer Ford employee: "I remember back in the good old days when people would come in and ask us to fix those mysterious rattles. Now these whippersnappers come in here and tell me what bolt is missing, what side of the car it's on, the size needed for replacement and the specific person on the assembly line who didn't do their job in the first place. I can't wait until this Internet fad goes away."

This has got to be one of the greatest validations of the need for a site like this. Who would have thought that a bunch of people who never knew each other could work so well together and find 2 missing bolts, ending countless mornings of frustration!

Anyone want to guess what will be the first thing I check when I take delivery of my new car? My salesman is going to think I'm a nutjob! Thanks in advance for finding this out! :worship:

Sean
Sean - great commentary "old timers" - LOL Be sure and read my post on the parking brake handle rattle - you will probably have that as well - easily fixed though!
Old 2/9/05, 10:59 PM
GT Member

Lol, I can hear it now...

Old timer Ford employee: "I remember back in the good old days when people would come in and ask us to fix those mysterious rattles. Now these whippersnappers come in here and tell me what bolt is missing, what side of the car it's on, the size needed for replacement and the specific person on the assembly line who didn't do their job in the first place. I can't wait until this Internet fad goes away."

This has got to be one of the greatest validations of the need for a site like this. Who would have thought that a bunch of people who never knew each other could work so well together and find 2 missing bolts, ending countless mornings of frustration!

Sean
HAHA Nice. You are very right. We are dangerous with this new fangled interweb thingie.

I've had fun posting on here mostly because I wanted to help carry the torch. Brad started the thread and I was overly excited to hear that he had found the source of the rattle. I never thought to look at the tranny for it. I might still be calling the dealership and trying to figure out if there was a hidden heat shield I had missed.

I'm sure there will be other "issues" ... hopefully we will have them all figured out before you guys get yours. Then you can bring a pre-flight checklist to the Dealership.

WE WANT OUR BOLTS!!!!!
Old 2/10/05, 02:23 PM
GT Member

Well I just got back from the dealer..I had it in to replace a rattling passenger side A/C vent..But while I was there I had them Check my bell housing bolts..Well Surprize,Surprize.. Mine where missing too..I also took in the pic's from this thread so they knew right where to look..The Service Tech's at My dealership wanted me to thank you guys for putting up such detailed posts it's making there lifes much eaiser.. It's a big time saver to them!! bolts replaced in 10 mins
Old 2/10/05, 03:08 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 1NewStang@February 10, 2005, 3:26 PM
Well I just got back from the dealer..I had it in to replace a rattling passenger side A/C vent..But while I was there I had them Check my bell housing bolts..Well Surprize,Surprize.. Mine where missing too..I also took in the pic's from this thread so they knew right where to look..The Service Tech's at My dealership wanted me to thank you guys for putting up such detailed posts it's making there lifes much eaiser.. It's a big time saver to them!! bolts replaced in 10 mins
Now THAT is Hilarious! We have constructed a how-to for the dealership.
Old 2/10/05, 03:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by MTAS@February 9, 2005, 5:42 PM
I'd like to have someone who lives where it's cold now and does not have the rattle on start-up, check their car and see if those bolts are there and post a pic.
I just checked and I don't have the bolts. I'm actually missing 3 lower bolts. I live in a cold climate, and have not had the rattle problem. HOTLAP - Thanks for finding this and posting your findings
Old 2/10/05, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Did anyone notice if there were scratch marks on the shield plate to see if bolts were ever inserted in those holes to begin with ???

My thoughts are that it was some kind of tranny inspection deal where they needed to put a feeler gauge inbetween the shield and bell housing to check for the position of a bearing ?? and with the lower two bolts in place it was impossible to insert the feeler gauge to do the inspection. Thus assembly mandate to not install the lower two bolts so the QC stage could do the inspection without first breaking loose the lower two bolts and then reseating them to the proper torque once the inspection was complete.

Maybe the inspection station is not set up or staffed to operate the bolt drivers....

Just a thought

ps I forget is it the manual in the GT thats new or the auto used in both models ???
Old 2/10/05, 10:01 PM
GT Member

I do not have the bolts in mine either, and no scratch marks indicating that some were installed, then removed. I'm not hearing any rattling of any kind, but I live in FL, so it doesn't get too cold here.

My upper strut bearings are also popping, so I'll be by the dealer soon to have those replaced, so I'll have these bolts replaced at the same time. Like someone else mentioned, guess I should take the pics. B)
Old 2/11/05, 07:51 PM
Cobra R Member

Bullitt1609

Ditto.
Old 2/13/05, 02:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Got the rattle here, and no bolts - I checked yesterday. Anyone have the correct length and thread pitch yet?
Old 2/19/05, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bump people wanted pictures
Old 2/19/05, 08:47 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Originally posted by Bullitt1609@February 10, 2005, 10:04 PM
I do not have the bolts in mine either, and no scratch marks indicating that some were installed, then removed. I'm not hearing any rattling of any kind, but I live in FL, so it doesn't get too cold here.

My upper strut bearings are also popping, so I'll be by the dealer soon to have those replaced, so I'll have these bolts replaced at the same time. Like someone else mentioned, guess I should take the pics. B)

I have the same problem with my upper strut bearings. I will definately check for the missing bolts. Thanks to all of you who share your good and bad experiances.
Old 2/20/05, 08:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Mine doesn't rattle at all, I guess either my bolts are in place or the whole inspection plate is missing...
Old 2/20/05, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Madhouse@February 20, 2005, 9:34 AM
Mine doesn't rattle at all, I guess either my bolts are in place or the whole inspection plate is missing...

Todd - easy to check - just slide under there with a telescoping mirror and chech it out - there is a pic earlier in this thread of what to look for - my bet is you don't have the bolts either - just lucky that the inspection plate is not making noise when cold.

good luck
Old 2/20/05, 12:07 PM

I was wondering if anyone could clarify the noise for me. I too am missing the bolts but am experiencing a noise that has always sounded like it was coming from the lower dashboard/console area. It is kind of a tinny vibrating noise that usually occurs from about 1000 to 3000 RPM under load. I brought it to the dealer and they spent a day and a half taking off parts of the dash, going for a ride, taking more parts off etc.... with no success. They just said they called Detroit on it and they will find out in a couple of weeks. I am sure having these bolts would help but is this similar to the noise you guys were experiencing???????
Old 2/20/05, 06:30 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by andella@February 20, 2005, 1:10 PM
I was wondering if anyone could clarify the noise for me. I too am missing the bolts but am experiencing a noise that has always sounded like it was coming from the lower dashboard/console area. It is kind of a tinny vibrating noise that usually occurs from about 1000 to 3000 RPM under load. I brought it to the dealer and they spent a day and a half taking off parts of the dash, going for a ride, taking more parts off etc.... with no success. They just said they called Detroit on it and they will find out in a couple of weeks. I am sure having these bolts would help but is this similar to the noise you guys were experiencing???????
Andella - your noise could be one of several items that I have found on my '05. 1st suspect is the missing inspection plate lower cover bolts as that is a very loud and noticable tinny sounding rattling noise, then the Parking brake handle - when not engaged rests on a metal stop that transmits tranny vibrations into the handle and will cause it to vibrate - see my post (above) to Dozer about how to cure this noise. Then I found a narrow metal (vertical) brace that is located behind the glove box (on the right side) - it is tack welded between the glove box support bracing and the metal "roll bar" looking rod that runs behind the dash. Mine was not welded very well and it was vibrating and buzzing - a bit of DynaMat Extreme wrapped around it and no more noise. There is still an intermittent "buzzing" kind of sound that I hear every once in a while coming from behind the center stack area - I have not been able to locate that yet and it is so infrequent - I can live with it. Good luck - hate to hear they are tearing into your dash.....
Old 2/20/05, 07:17 PM

I noticed that some photos of the GT engine have a silver horse cover on intake.But then i see others with out it.Does it come stock or do you have to order it.
Old 2/20/05, 07:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Just as long as everyone is talking about noises and rattles. I have the IUP and mostly when it's cold outside my dash starts to make a rattle noise. I've been going crazy trying to find the source. To me it sounds like the metal pieces of the IUP. Anyone else experiencing this problem. Oh, and I'm missing the bell housing bolts as well but no noises from there.
Old 2/20/05, 09:03 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mikem@February 20, 2005, 8:20 PM
I noticed that some photos of the GT engine have a silver horse cover on intake.But then i see others with out it.Does it come stock or do you have to order it.
No and No.

Preproduction cover. I haven't seen any out there yet but I'm sure someone will make them.

There is at least one previous thread on this. Try a search.

Quick Reply: Manual Trans owners - check this out!