2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Manual Trans owners - check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/05, 11:39 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by 05silverGT@February 8, 2005, 11:29 AM
Ok the official line...

According the local dealership Parts Dept - This bolt is listed as HN2... but they could not tell me the dimensions! And they acted quite suprised about the information I offered about the missing bolts. Also stressed quite clearly the fact that they did not want me to replace the bolt myself. Was told it would void my warranty. (Of course it's their job to tell you that) So then I said "ok, then can you get me an appointment right away to address this?" And he laughed...

And just an FYI for everyone reading.
I'm still trying to find the dimensions of that bolt. Scheduling an appointment is no easy task since they say they have to order the bolts!

I'm not too upset yet. But I wish I could see a bit more sense of urgency.

Matt - void your warranty for what......the entire inspection plate cover or just the two bolts sheesh - that's ridiculous......
Old 2/8/05, 12:30 PM
GT Member

Brad,
Well this dude I spoke with in the parts dept. used a transmission problem as an example. He said they could claim the transmission had been tampered with... which sounds like a stretch. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention what I was told. Too much info is better than too little.

That hasn't stopped me in my pursuit of the info. I was like "ok ok I hear ya, but what are the dimensions?" lol No luck.
Old 2/8/05, 01:56 PM

Same here no bolts and rattling buzzing noise at a cold start. :spin:
Old 2/8/05, 02:47 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@February 8, 2005, 1:33 PM
Brad,
Well this dude I spoke with in the parts dept. used a transmission problem as an example. He said they could claim the transmission had been tampered with... which sounds like a stretch. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention what I was told. Too much info is better than too little.

That hasn't stopped me in my pursuit of the info. I was like "ok ok I hear ya, but what are the dimensions?" lol No luck.

Matt - I hear ya - just gets plain silly sometimes
Old 2/8/05, 03:05 PM
GT Member

Noise Maker:

Clutch cover plate for Tremec manual transmissions.
Old 2/9/05, 12:05 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@February 8, 2005, 4:08 PM
Noise Maker:

Clutch cover plate for Tremec manual transmissions.

Matt - good pic!! For anyone who needs to visualize - it is the two lowest bolt holes where the bolts are missing!!
Old 2/9/05, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@February 8, 2005, 11:29 AM
Ok the official line...

According the local dealership Parts Dept - This bolt is listed as HN2... but they could not tell me the dimensions! And they acted quite suprised about the information I offered about the missing bolts. Also stressed quite clearly the fact that they did not want me to replace the bolt myself. Was told it would void my warranty. (Of course it's their job to tell you that) So then I said "ok, then can you get me an appointment right away to address this?" And he laughed...

This is horse pucky. There's no way that putting two bolts in the bolt holes that Ford forgot is going to void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act specifically FORBIDS a company from voiding a warranty unless they can specifically PROVE (not just speculate) that a modifcation caused a failure or repair.

Good luck, and I would not sweat doing them yourself if it gets it done faster.
Old 2/9/05, 08:54 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by MrMorden@February 9, 2005, 9:40 AM

This is horse pucky. There's no way that putting two bolts in the bolt holes that Ford forgot is going to void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act specifically FORBIDS a company from voiding a warranty unless they can specifically PROVE (not just speculate) that a modifcation caused a failure or repair.

Good luck, and I would not sweat doing them yourself if it gets it done faster.
Agreed. I guess I just wanted to share the feedback from the dealship. I think the guy meant well by saying don't take any chances with the warranty but those bolts do nothing but hold the plate secure.

Also,
Talked to a mechanic buddy last night and we both agreed this is most likely a 12mm bolt. He says the length is probably 2.5". Will verify that ASAP and share that info with you guys.

Check your Bolts! B)
Old 2/9/05, 10:44 AM
Cobra Member

Matt - IIRC it wasn't that long - get several lengths just in case......I had to cut mine down to approx. 1.5"

Good luck
Old 2/9/05, 11:25 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just changed my oil and i do not have the bolts either,also no rattle yet. knock on wood.
Old 2/9/05, 11:27 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by mrv8outboard@February 9, 2005, 12:28 PM
just changed my oil and i do not have the bolts either,also no rattle yet. knock on wood.
Holy crap. Does anyone actually have the bolts?
Old 2/9/05, 03:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by 05silverGT@February 9, 2005, 1:30 PM
Holy crap. Does anyone actually have the bolts?
I agree with you, this is wild. I am almost waiting to see a post that says that the bolts are missing by design, and that by putting them back in, it will mess something up. (j/k).
Old 2/9/05, 03:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd like to have someone who lives where it's cold now and does not have the rattle on start-up, check their car and see if those bolts are there and post a pic.
Old 2/9/05, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by MTAS@February 9, 2005, 4:42 PM
I'd like to have someone who lives where it's cold now and does not have the rattle on start-up, check their car and see if those bolts are there and post a pic.
MRV8outboard said he doesn't have the rattle or the bolts and he shows a location of Cape Cod. Got to be cold there.
Old 2/9/05, 04:32 PM
V6 Member

I dont have the bolts either but i do have a big rattle
Old 2/9/05, 04:40 PM
Cobra Member

Call me a pessimest (and I'm sure some will) - but it's simply cost cutting
Old 2/9/05, 04:43 PM
V6 Member

I had my stang in the shop on a lift today getting my gears installed and what do you know....no bolts either. They ended up finding some spare bolts laying around that were 14mm but too long so they used a dremel tool to cut them down to size. I have no idea what the actual thread size was though, but no more rattle!!
Old 2/9/05, 05:53 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by 2k5 pony@February 9, 2005, 5:46 PM
I had my stang in the shop on a lift today getting my gears installed and what do you know....no bolts either. They ended up finding some spare bolts laying around that were 14mm but too long so they used a dremel tool to cut them down to size. I have no idea what the actual thread size was though, but no more rattle!!
Dennis,
Sounds like you had a good day! Congrats on the mods and the tune. I read your thread on the results.

I guess its safe to say the missing bolts are the norm.

Brad, you really think they'd do that for cost? I find it kinda hard to believe. Imagine the grief they'd get/will get from the dealerships as everyone takes the cars in for the bolts! And the negative publicity of forgetting two bolts on the drivetrain.

I'm thinking it's more so a process deficiency and due to the undercar location it slipped by on more than a few cars, if not all! The biggest miss is by the undercar QA. I can see blaming a robot that was not programmed with a certain routine... but the human checking the work?

Either way, I'd rather they leave out the non-critical bolts than something I really need. Just an amusing quirk and easily fixed. I really thought my car was a one-off or odd situation in the beginning. Now it's just a funny story we can all tell.

I'm NOT giving the car back because of it! B)
Old 2/9/05, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

"I guess its safe to say the missing bolts are the norm. "

Yup, I just crawled under and confirmed that I also am...........boltless.

This is a bit less disconcerting than my missing sway bar bracket.

[attachmentid=11590]
Old 2/9/05, 09:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol, I can hear it now...

Old timer Ford employee: "I remember back in the good old days when people would come in and ask us to fix those mysterious rattles. Now these whippersnappers come in here and tell me what bolt is missing, what side of the car it's on, the size needed for replacement and the specific person on the assembly line who didn't do their job in the first place. I can't wait until this Internet fad goes away."

This has got to be one of the greatest validations of the need for a site like this. Who would have thought that a bunch of people who never knew each other could work so well together and find 2 missing bolts, ending countless mornings of frustration!

Anyone want to guess what will be the first thing I check when I take delivery of my new car? My salesman is going to think I'm a nutjob! Thanks in advance for finding this out! :worship:

Sean

Quick Reply: Manual Trans owners - check this out!