2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Manual Trans owners - check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/05, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '05 had a very irritating noise that sounded like one of the exhaust heat shields was vibrating when the car was cold. Once the engine came up to normal operating temp the noise would stop. :scratch: When I had my wheels installed I actually inspected all the heat shields and could not locate anything loose or rubbing, etc. Well last night I finally found the source of the nosie - Ford had left out the two lowest bolts in the bell housing - the ones that secure the lower edge of the dust cover/inspection plate. I installed the bolts and the noise is gone!

You may want to take a look at you lower bell housing to check it out.

My passenger side woofer had a rattle as well due to it's mounting screws not being tight as well....one was very loose and the others weren't far behind.

Quality is job ONE!! :bang:
Old 2/6/05, 09:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sucks, but stuff like that happens...
on any car...

Coulda been a monday/friday build

Glad you caught it
Old 2/6/05, 09:26 AM

My car does not have these bolts either, or a dust shield for that matter. I don't have a noise either, probably due to no dust shield.
Old 2/6/05, 09:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just under my car last weekend looking for that " heat shield" rattle on cold start up. I never noticed if those bolts were there or not. I guess the car is going back up on jack stands! Do you remember what the thread size was, metric, standard?
Old 2/6/05, 10:00 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by cop on my back@February 6, 2005, 10:32 AM
I was just under my car last weekend looking for that " heat shield" rattle on cold start up. I never noticed if those bolts were there or not. I guess the car is going back up on jack stands! Do you remember what the thread size was, metric, standard?

Sorry I don't - but they are metric and good sized diameter - but short - it was late when I found this and stores were closed. I was able to find a couple of metric bolts that fit from my misc. motorcycle bin - but had to shorten them both with my dremel.
Old 2/6/05, 10:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

My car is making a noise at the parking brake handle when I accel hard. I finally found out if I hold the parking brake while accelerating, the noise is gone. Most likely a warranty mod. But if not, any ideas?
Old 2/6/05, 10:59 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DozerzPony@February 6, 2005, 11:43 AM
My car is making a noise at the parking brake handle when I accel hard. I finally found out if I hold the parking brake while accelerating, the noise is gone. Most likely a warranty mod. But if not, any ideas?

Dozer - I had the same noise and traced it to the parking brake handle as well (curious - my '00GT did the same thing). Anyway, remove the console top piece (just pull the shifter boot out - no need to remove the shifter ****) and there are two screws in the top rear of the console storage bin you need to remove - then the console top just pops straight out.

Remove (while fitting the shifter boot through the console top). Now you have access to the area where you can see the parking brake rests against a metal stop. I took an 1 1/2" piece of Pep Boys door edge trim and fit it onto the metal bracket that the parking brake rests on when not engaged - no more noise. Also a good time to take some Dynamat Extreme and line the tunnel housing all around the shifter area, etc. to cut down on tranny/road noise. Little noises like this drive me nuts and can usually be traced down and eleminated!! I also removed the parking brake handle housing (plastic piece rear of the rubber handle - top pops off) and added soft foam so the linkage won't vibrate and make noise.
Old 2/7/05, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks Bradley! I can't wait to fix the rattle and muffle some tranny noise. Is there any way you could send me a pic of your work?

Thanks again
Old 2/7/05, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by HOTLAP@February 6, 2005, 10:15 AM
My '05 had a very irritating noise that sounded like one of the exhaust heat shields was vibrating when the car was cold. Once the engine came up to normal operating temp the noise would stop. :scratch: When I had my wheels installed I actually inspected all the heat shields and could not locate anything loose or rubbing, etc. Well last night I finally found the source of the nosie - Ford had left out the two lowest bolts in the bell housing - the ones that secure the lower edge of the dust cover/inspection plate. I installed the bolts and the noise is gone!

You may want to take a look at you lower bell housing to check it out.

My passenger side woofer had a rattle as well due to it's mounting screws not being tight as well....one was very loose and the others weren't far behind.

Quality is job ONE!! :bang:
Finally! Someone has the same issue and solved it. It has been driving me crazy and I can't wait to get home and check for this. Every morning I hear that sound when the car is cold. I also went under the car looking for the loose heat sheild, to no avail and haven't gotten around to getting the dealership to look at it.

If this is my problem I owe you one, Hotlap.
Old 2/7/05, 01:40 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by DozerzPony@February 7, 2005, 10:33 AM
Thanks Bradley! I can't wait to fix the rattle and muffle some tranny noise. Is there any way you could send me a pic of your work?

Thanks again

Dozer - next time I have it opened up I'll snap a few pics for ya. In the meantime, once you have the console top off you can easily remove the entire console (two screws underneath the felt bottom in the storage bin, and IIRC you pop off the two center stack side panels and there are two addtional screws under there. Once the console is removed you can pull aside the carpet and Dynamat the all the exposed metal areas....I even dynamatted the stick shift (under the boot) itself so vibrations coming up the stick are minimized. My tranny noise is almost non-existent now....you can get Dynamat Extreme 4 12" x 36" sheets for about $80.00 through Crutchfield or you local sound shop may carry it. Be sure to get the Dynamat "Extreme" because the thin metallic skin form fits much better than the regular - cardboard/paper backed Dynamat. It's also heat resistant. You will also need the small wood handle roller for installation - get it - nothing else works as well. The Dynamat weighs about 10lbs per box (4 12"x36" sheets) so you are not really adding a ton of weight either - I've added about 4 boxes and it is well worth eleminating road and unwanted mechanical noise......all I hear now is the roar of the engine and the pipes.....
Old 2/7/05, 01:43 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Boomer@February 6, 2005, 10:21 AM
stinks, but stuff like that happens...
on any car...

Coulda been a monday/friday build

Glad you caught it

Yeah I know - just venting - because I'm thinking the elemination of the two bolts was a cost cutting move and probably saved Ford a whopping $1.00 per car!! Being the 1st year of a new model and assembly line - we are probably going to see a few additional boo-boo's.....like the hard to fill fuel line, upper strut mount poppiing noises, etc....but I still DIG this Stang
Old 2/7/05, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

[/quote]

Finally! Someone has the same issue and solved it. It has been driving me crazy and I can't wait to get home and check for this. Every morning I hear that sound when the car is cold. I also went under the car looking for the loose heat sheild, to no avail and haven't gotten around to getting the dealership to look at it.

If this is my problem I owe you one, Hotlap.
[/quote]

Matt - no problem - hope it solves your cold start rattle. You can very easily tell - just raise the drivers side with a floor jack, use a jack stand, then scoot under near the rear edge of the oil pan and you will see the bottom 1/3 of the bell housing - simply tap the plate with your forfinger and it will easily produce the same rattle - you will also notice the two bottom bolts missing,
Old 2/7/05, 02:16 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have no idea what a bell housing is, but I'd like to as I am going to order this car.
Old 2/7/05, 05:43 PM
GT Member

Ok... it has been confirmed. HOTLAP I owe you a beer if you ever come through Austin TX

There are in fact (2) missing bolts which hold the cover/shield over the bell housing on the tranny. Tap on it without the bolts holding it secure and you can reproduce that god aweful rattle that my neighbors hear every morning when I crank up the beast.

FORD FORD FORD... ok I will bite my tongue.

Now I just need to find out what size bolts those are. Nothing I had fit.

Here are some pics as well... took my camera with me.

Hope that helps.
Old 2/7/05, 08:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great pics. I wonder how the heck Ford forgot that? I just don't have time to look again but this weekend I will be under there to fix. Not worth taking to the dealer for that, I'll do it myself.
Old 2/7/05, 08:49 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by 05silverGT@February 7, 2005, 6:46 PM
Ok... it has been confirmed. HOTLAP I owe you a beer if you ever come through Austin TX

There are in fact (2) missing bolts which hold the cover/shield over the bell housing on the tranny. Tap on it without the bolts holding it secure and you can reproduce that god aweful rattle that my neighbors hear every morning when I crank up the beast.

FORD FORD FORD... ok I will bite my tongue.

Now I just need to find out what size bolts those are. Nothing I had fit.

Here are some pics as well... took my camera with me.

Hope that helps.

Matt - a Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale will do just fine JK - glad you found it and I'm wondering if Ford left out these bolts on all the manual GT's or if perhaps the guy who inserted these on the powertrain assembly line was out that day B) I suspect it was cost cutting - but I'm a pessimist when it comes to Ford bean counters anyway
Old 2/8/05, 01:13 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Ah...thanks for the pics! Gaw...that's so obvious those are missing. some QC guy must've really been asleep.

Somebody on this site had the technical manual for the Mustang on .pdf... the bolt size ought to be in there if it goes down to the transmission.
Old 2/8/05, 07:10 AM
GT Member

Now I'm just wondering how many times this occured. Somewhere in MI there is a bin with a whole lot of extra bolts in it.

Ford Inventory Guy:
"Well shoot, I guess we didn't need as many bolts as I had estimated!"
Old 2/8/05, 10:26 AM
GT Member

Ok the official line...

According the local dealership Parts Dept - This bolt is listed as HN2... but they could not tell me the dimensions! And they acted quite suprised about the information I offered about the missing bolts. Also stressed quite clearly the fact that they did not want me to replace the bolt myself. Was told it would void my warranty. (Of course it's their job to tell you that) So then I said "ok, then can you get me an appointment right away to address this?" And he laughed...

And just an FYI for everyone reading.
I'm still trying to find the dimensions of that bolt. Scheduling an appointment is no easy task since they say they have to order the bolts!

I'm not too upset yet. But I wish I could see a bit more sense of urgency.
Old 2/8/05, 11:07 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Guess when the weather clears up I will be climbing under my car to take a look. I always knew I had a few screws loose, but bolts missing

Quick Reply: Manual Trans owners - check this out!