2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

LED tail lamp housings

Search this Thread

Old 2/14/07, 05:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Art. I gotta quit reading this stuff. Here I was perfectly happy with my "half burned out" third brake light, and now I can't look at it the same as I once did. I really haven't changed a bulb in decades, but you guys have pointed out some real benefits to doing so. My confusion about LEDs just came from inexperience. No offense intended.

BTW, I do actually have snakes on my standard GT fenders. "Poser" if you like, but not rice. I felt it coordinated with the GT300 better than ponies or another "GT". No where on the car does it say SVT, Shelby, or GT350/500 though, but I really don't care if someone else wants it on their car. (Vegasjay's car rocks!! )
Old 2/14/07, 06:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by backafter20
Thanks Art. I gotta quit reading this stuff. Here I was perfectly happy with my "half burned out" third brake light, and now I can't look at it the same as I once did. I really haven't changed a bulb in decades, but you guys have pointed out some real benefits to doing so. My confusion about LEDs just came from inexperience. No offense intended.
LOL... There is no offense, no worries!

Here is a pic of the LED third brake light, I like the way it matches the tail lights... Looks cool doesn't it?

Thanks mikes rx for convincing me to pick this up!
Attached Thumbnails LED tail lamp housings-av_4-2-2007-4-.jpg  
Old 2/14/07, 07:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
Thanks mikes rx for convincing me to pick this up!
Your car looks good. Like I said...it completely changes the way the car looks from the back And, no more ugly burnt out light effect.

Have you seen it lit up in the dark yet. IMO, it looks AWESOME when lit, and it make the taillights actually look like LED (since the brake light really is LED)

BTW, I like the ducktail. I guess you are returning the favor by trying to convince me to get a new spoiler
Old 2/14/07, 09:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Well, I had to bite and take pix of the LED 3rd brake light in action!

Also, check out the pic of my stock 3rd brake light! (My car was built August 2005.) There is ONE pathetic bulb included with the fixture, AND by the looks of things it was well on its way to burning out. Look at the black carbon buildup inside of the bulb!!!

I'm glad I went with LEDs... now to find decent LEDs for the rest of the tail lights.
Attached Thumbnails LED tail lamp housings-av4_led-lights-3-.jpg   LED tail lamp housings-av4_led-lights-4-.jpg  
Old 2/14/07, 09:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Art,

The pic of the new lamp in action sold me. Thanks.
Old 2/14/07, 10:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by steevr
Art,

The pic of the new lamp in action sold me. Thanks.
It looks even better when seen in person, because you don't get a reflection from the taillights. The third brake light makes the taillghts look LED due to the scatter reflector in the tails.
Old 2/14/07, 10:19 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
... now to find decent LEDs for the rest of the tail lights.
As I just said above, and have stated before, when you stand back about 10-20 feet, the brake light makes the taillights look like real LED's.

It's kind of like having fake diamonds with real diamonds: when together, you can't see the difference, so people assume that they are all real.
Old 2/15/07, 03:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

All I really want is a clear lense. I really don't care about LED vs. standard. I agree about the ones that I posted looking off with all of the individual bulbs, that's why I'm on the fence. For my white car, clears really look better. I have clear turns, and rear sides, I just want a clear brake lense. For now I have the white sticker with the three ponies, not bad, but not exactly what I want. I just wish all of this stuff was free
Old 2/15/07, 06:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The red lens covers help diffuse the lighting so it is more "red" even in daylight conditions. A clear lens with red bulbs won't look the same in bright daylight conditions.
Old 2/15/07, 06:13 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
The red lens covers help diffuse the lighting so it is more "red" even in daylight conditions. A clear lens with red bulbs won't look the same in bright daylight conditions.
That must be why the lens has red in it too. I was trying to figure it out, figured it was some law or something. Either way, IMO, it looks good.

But, I agree that with nole_trainer that all clear looks good on white cars. but, your taillights are red and clear, so
Old 2/15/07, 05:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Another thing that I liked was the CDC brake light in the window thing (to use when you use their spoiler). I don't know why it bothers me so, but that big red lenses was too much. The taillights are in an area that they look good red, I guess cause all cars have taillights. I just wish the brake light was in the window or something. But I'll probably spend my next mod money on some side louvers or the Midwest radiator covers/extensions, or even a new spoiler, or maybe that wood steering wheel I've been eying, or maybe, or maybe. STOP!!!!
Old 2/20/07, 04:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Ordered the APC LED 3rd brakelight today from LMPerformance. The Advanced Auto Parts near my house said they couldn't get them. Should be here by the weekend.