2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

LED tail lamp housings

Search this Thread

Old 2/12/07, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to see a vid of those led taillights in action.. and from diffrent angles. then I could make up my mind on them.
Old 2/12/07, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

http://www.mustangforums.com/m_17439...tm.htm#1743934

Here is a link to my pics and a topic on the LED tails. I have webelectric sequentials on it, and they only work on the outer 2 lights, where as you can splice in on the factory lights and make all 3 sequential, these you can't because the circuitboard doesn't allow for it. Kinda sucks but, i still get compliments on em.
Old 2/12/07, 08:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Is the center lens section of the APC 3rd brake light clear??....it looks that way in the pictures. How long did the installation take and is it plug 'n play??

Thanks.
Old 2/12/07, 08:47 PM
GT Member

Yes the APC has what looks like a clear backup light built in...
Old 2/12/07, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes its clear in the middle. The whole job including the webelectic wiring was about 2 hours. I took my time while doing it since I hadn't taken anything in the trunk apart b4 and wanted to do it slowly. All together everything was pretty simple. As far as PNP goes, I bought the splice in kit from webelectric for the sequentials so that was the only thing that wasn't plug and play, all the rest just plugs in and bolts right up.
Old 2/12/07, 08:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by vsop
Yes the APC has what looks like a clear backup light built in...
Its not a backup light. Its just clear(I guess to match their taillights, which does). It lights up bright red though when you apply the brakes(see the thread link I posted for pics).
Old 2/12/07, 09:15 PM
GT Member

I know its not a backup light and that its using red leds, I was just saying what it looks like.. It was the reason I did not order it.. if it was all read or all clear I would order it. I actually want a smoked clear one
Old 2/13/07, 04:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

I know its not a backup light and that its using red leds, I was just saying what it looks like.. It was the reason I did not order it.. if it was all read or all clear I would order it. I actually want a smoked clear one
You can get a smoked one from the link I posted......
Old 2/13/07, 06:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by steevr
Is the center lens section of the APC 3rd brake light clear??....it looks that way in the pictures. How long did the installation take and is it plug 'n play??

Thanks.
The installation is VERY simple, and yes it is plug and play. And, as answered already, it is clear.

Here are simplified instructions:

1) Remove the black plastic shroud around the trunk lock mechanism
2) Disconnect factory brake light harness
3) Pop out third brake light (there are some little "clips" that hold it in from the inside)
4) Slide new LED lens in
5) Reconnect harness
6) Put back plastic shroud

I was able to do this in 3 minutes when it was 9:00 at night and a heat index of over 90 degrees still. (I hate Mid-atlantic humidity). Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails LED tail lamp housings-2005-mustang-017.jpg   LED tail lamp housings-2005-mustang-014a.jpg  
Old 2/13/07, 06:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by nole_trainer
You can get a smoked one from the link I posted......
The ones that you posted are available in all clear or all smoked.

HOWEVER, they only have about 1/2 to 1/3 of the LED's as the APC unit. (assuming that each circle in your link is one LED)

If you look closely at the pic on post 39, you will see that there are many more LED's than the all clear one from the link has
Old 2/13/07, 01:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
The ones that you posted are available in all clear or all smoked.

HOWEVER, they only have about 1/2 to 1/3 of the LED's as the APC unit. (assuming that each circle in your link is one LED)

If you look closely at the pic on post 39, you will see that there are many more LED's than the all clear one from the link has
The number of LEDS means nothing to me.. Its the type and quality of the LEDs that I find important. I see that clear or smoked one, but I have not seen anoyone with high quality pics/vids of the unit working, so I'm not sure I would order it. Its far to easy to use cheap low cost leds in the products.

I can use 1 quality led and have the same light output as 15 cheap ones. They make fairly bright LEDs now and it really is based more on the design of the reflector and the LED used then the number used.
Old 2/13/07, 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. After reading all that, I just don't get the point. LEDs last longer and aren't as much drain on the electrical system? When was the last time you changed a taillight bulb? I can't remember for me, but it's been decades. And when is how much electricity the bulb uses an issue? Now, if I could change all the bulbs in my house to LED, that would save me money on my electrical bill. In my car, it's irrelevant. LEDs are definitely the way of the future, but what's the point of changing the lights in your car? They look neat? Well, maybe. I did get Webelectrics sequentials, but that was more of a retro thing for me, since the early Shelby's had them. So there's nothing wrong with doing something purely because it looks neat. I just don't see any improvement with the LEDs. When the cars come with them fron the factory, fine, but I can't help but to think of the "R" word if you're just trying to mimic a Japanese car.
Old 2/13/07, 02:39 PM
Cobra R Member

The number of LEDS means nothing to me.. Its the type and quality of the LEDs that I find important. I see that clear or smoked one, but I have not seen anoyone with high quality pics/vids of the unit working, so I'm not sure I would order it. Its far to easy to use cheap low cost leds in the products.

I can use 1 quality led and have the same light output as 15 cheap ones. They make fairly bright LEDs now and it really is based more on the design of the reflector and the LED used then the number used.
I'll agree that the number of LED's may not make a difference if they compensate for it. But, IMO the all clear or smoke ones are ugly, because they show each individual circle. The APC's, on the other hand, don't have the "circles" visible. That may make a difference in someone's preference in regard to how it looks on the car.
Old 2/13/07, 02:42 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by backafter20
Wow. After reading all that, I just don't get the point. LEDs last longer and aren't as much drain on the electrical system? When was the last time you changed a taillight bulb? I can't remember for me, but it's been decades. And when is how much electricity the bulb uses an issue? Now, if I could change all the bulbs in my house to LED, that would save me money on my electrical bill. In my car, it's irrelevant. LEDs are definitely the way of the future, but what's the point of changing the lights in your car? They look neat? Well, maybe. I did get Webelectrics sequentials, but that was more of a retro thing for me, since the early Shelby's had them. So there's nothing wrong with doing something purely because it looks neat. I just don't see any improvement with the LEDs. When the cars come with them fron the factory, fine, but I can't help but to think of the "R" word if you're just trying to mimic a Japanese car.
Simple answer: because the third brake light is FUGLY, and it always looks like the light is burnt out (as was mentioned previously by more than one member) because it is ONE bulb with a reflector. But, the light doesn't reflect equally across the whole lens, causing it to look dim in some sections.

Also, I have replaced multiple bulbs for third brake lights (but they were on GM products that use a different bulb, which does explain a lot )
Old 2/13/07, 02:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by backafter20

HA HA.. This coming from a guy with more show then go.. I won't even touch teh GT300 stripes..

Now as far as bulbs.. I actually have replaced many bulbs on my cars in the past from them burning out. Vibration kills filaments. LEDs don't have this problem. One of the guys I know with the sequential kit has had 3 bulbs brun out on him already. Also have seen the 3rd brake light bulb burned out.

I don't know about anyone else but I don't liek having a brake light bulbs or any other bulb for that matter out as it can give a cop a reason to pull you over if he is having a bad day and can only make yours worse..

Now as far a power.. LEDs DRAIN MUCH MUCH less so if all my lights are LED I can leave my parking lights on for a long long time at night time events and not kill my battery, Also at the Track when running at night I use my parking lights and guess what waiting for my turn I sometimes leave them on while sitting in the car. So I rather not have a dead battery.. Less drain the better in my book..
Old 2/13/07, 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

HA HA.. This coming from a guy with more show then go.. I won't even touch teh GT300 stripes...
Not to start a war of words, but a 300 hp, 320 lb-ft torque vehicle that does 0-60 in 5 seconds is FAR from being no go.

Perhaps we are just adding some show to make the car look as fast as it really is, versus adding more show than go.

How much faster do you REALLY need. Once you are going the speed limit, 500 or 1000 hp doesn't matter. I've had POS cars with bumpers falling off fly by me at 75 mph on the highway, and I don't care.

Sure, we all have our "moments" that we want more power, but for most of the day, our mostly stock mustangs do just fine.
Old 2/13/07, 03:10 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Not to start a war of words, but a 300 hp, 320 lb-ft torque vehicle that does 0-60 in 5 seconds is FAR from being no go.

Perhaps we are just adding some show to make the car look as fast as it really is, versus adding more show than go.

How much faster do you REALLY need. Once you are going the speed limit, 500 or 1000 hp doesn't matter. I've had POS cars with bumpers falling off fly by me at 75 mph on the highway, and I don't care.

Sure, we all have our "moments" that we want more power, but for most of the day, our mostly stock mustangs do just fine.
I actually use my added power on a weekly basis at the track.. The car is for strip and road course use.

My point was that he has the nerve to call it riser or 'R' when he has no issues putting gt300 stripes on the car
Old 2/13/07, 03:26 PM
Cobra R Member

I actually use my added power on a weekly basis at the track.. The car is for strip and road course use.
Then the added power is understood

My point was that he has the nerve to call it riser or 'R' when he has no issues putting gt300 stripes on the car
I agree with you on this point, IF he was putting a GT500 stripe on the car, as the car ISN'T that (and the car IS made). Or, if he put an SVT emblem on a base model.

But, in this case, I don't see an issue with it, as the car wasn't made, so it's just his interpretation of it.

Another example would be if someone modified a Ford Fusion, and decided to put an SVT emblem on it. Although it isn't "correct", since SVT doesn't modify any Fusion, if the car is done in a factory-like style, then why not? Now, if the car had some ugly 20" chrome rims with a big spoiler and an ugly stuck-on body kit, I would say NO!! to the SVT emblem.

But, if a car looks like what the factory would have made, then I see no issues with it.
Old 2/13/07, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Easy vsop, I'm not calling you ricer, and you guys did actually answer my questions very nicely. I did say I had no problem with purely cosmetic mods. Those are the only kind I have, and the GT300 just means it's a 300 hp GT, which further emphasizes that I have no performance mods. (not quite a no-go, but at least you think I have some show) As far as the fugly brake light goes, I must admit to never having even noticed it. Now that you've brought it to my attention, I won't be able to see other Mustang's brake lights without noticing their fugliness. I don't have to look at mine, though, so I will probably not do anything about it. I also see your point about longevity. I guess that just because I haven't had to change a taillight in many years doesn't mean that others haven't. Because of my experience with bulbs that have lasted a long time, I just didn't realize that it was an issue. The comments about not draining the battery are also valid. Again, having the lights on with the engine off is just something that I don't normally do, so I didn't see the issue. I only hinted at the "R" word because my only experience with LEDs are seeing them in cars that most honestly DO fit that category. I wasn't intending to criticize your choice of lights, only to express confusion. Your responses have "enlightened" me well. I'll stick with the stock lights, but now I understand where you're coming from. Thanks.
Old 2/13/07, 05:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
I'd say backafter20 has a very nice looking 'Stang!

LEDs can be misused, and ricers often do this. However, I am interested in LED lights because the newer halogen bulbs have a tendency to burn out a lot more frequently than the older style bulbs. My 1989 and 2002 'Stangs used to burn tail light bulbs out with maddening frequency.

LEDs do not burn out - this essentially ends the problem of worrying about some crappy Honda rear-ending you because he didn't know you were applying your brakes.

I agree with mikes rx with regard to the third brake light looking like it was half burned out, so I also got the APC LED third light. I want NO EXCUSES from those tards that drive behind me that they didn't see me brake.

I thought the APC third tail light was tastefully done. Taste, however, is a personal opinion! Ask the guy here that bolted a gauge to his hood and thought it was "retro!"

That being said, if I can find a set of LED taillights that are tastefully done, then of course I will spring for them too, then I will NEVER have to worry about my lighting burning out again.

Quick Reply: LED tail lamp housings