2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Leaking Master Cylinder Reservoir

Search this Thread

Old 11/16/05, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have been reading several threads on leakage around the master cyl. I think the problem is twofold. One, they are overfilling almost to the top, and combine that with a poor fitting cap you get leakage which drips around the reservoir and all over the place. I noticed that the cap has very sloppy fit. In the cap is a rubber diaphram that is supposed to seal to the tank. I find fluid on the cap outside the sealing surface. I made a rubber seal about 1/16' thick, between the cap and the diaphram, and removed some fluid. So far, no leaks. I think it is a hit or miss problem. Some leak,some don't. Just bad engineering or poor production quality control
Old 11/16/05, 04:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RENEW1@November 16, 2005, 5:53 PM
Have been reading several threads on leakage around the master cyl. I think the problem is twofold. One, they are overfilling almost to the top, and combine that with a poor fitting cap you get leakage which drips around the reservoir and all over the place. I noticed that the cap has very sloppy fit. In the cap is a rubber diaphram that is supposed to seal to the tank. I find fluid on the cap outside the sealing surface. I made a rubber seal about 1/16' thick, between the cap and the diaphram, and removed some fluid. So far, no leaks. I think it is a hit or miss problem. Some leak,some don't. Just bad engineering or poor production quality control

Yep someone already mentioned that, I actually made gasket out of a brake fluid bottle. That sealed it for 3 months, then it started leaking again! I noticed once I remove my gasket, that the cap was VERY loose, so I think the plastic deformed over the 3 months!
Old 11/16/05, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RENEW1@November 16, 2005, 5:53 PM
:( Have been reading several threads on leakage around the master cyl. I think the problem is twofold. One, they are overfilling almost to the top, and combine that with a poor fitting cap you get leakage which drips around the reservoir and all over the place. I noticed that the cap has very sloppy fit. In the cap is a rubber diaphram that is supposed to seal to the tank. I find fluid on the cap outside the sealing surface. I made a rubber seal about 1/16' thick, between the cap and the diaphram, and removed some fluid. So far, no leaks. I think it is a hit or miss problem. Some leak,some don't. Just bad engineering or poor production quality control

Yep someone already mentioned that, I actually made gasket out of a brake fluid bottle. That sealed it for 3 months, then it started leaking again! I noticed once I remove my gasket, that the cap was VERY loose, so I think the plastic deformed over the 3 months!
Old 11/17/05, 11:35 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the heads up guys, I had noticed mine leaking as well....... I'll try to add an extra gasket to mine.....
Old 11/18/05, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by RENEW1@November 16, 2005, 6:53 PM
I noticed mine had fluid on the outside of the reservoir a couple days after I bought it. It had been filled completely full, well above the maximum fill point. I took it back to the dealership and they took some fluid out, and did a pressure test on it and it passed. I haven't noticed any leakage since.

Even a small amount of brake fluid leaking onto a hot engine can be a bad thing, it's flammable. Also, it's corrosive and will eat the paint off of anything it gets on.

(it's a 2006 Mustang GT.)
Old 12/14/05, 12:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Same problem here.

Just picked up car, They cleaned master cylinder & checked for leaks, none found, gasket OK.