2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Just picked up an 08 GT Need Advise on warranty??

Search this Thread

Old 7/27/13, 08:53 AM
V6 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just picked up an 08 GT Need Advise on warranty??

A weird turn of events this week and I now own another s197 mustang.
Now the dealership is offering a pretty comprehensive warranty. (For $2000)
Witch covers the car for another 5 years or 60k miles...
(Doesn't obviously cover wear items) but does cover everything mechanical or electrical, towing, 10 day car rental, and roadside assistance)

It's transferable, or I could cancel it in that time period also.

Anyone have thoughts on this warranty? I normally would just dismiss these
Warrantys as "not worth it". But my last car (not a ford) came with one and it ended up needing an complete engine (due to water pump failure) cost of around $8k
And also an AC condenser @ around $800...

The car has 36k miles so I would be covered till 86k......
I'm considering it just due to the high cost of auto repair these days...
Attached Thumbnails Just picked up an 08 GT Need Advise on warranty??-image.jpg  
Old 7/27/13, 10:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
READ the FINE PRINT to make sure it covers what you expect it to cover.

Picture looks like you picked a nice clean car.
Old 7/27/13, 10:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
^ That.

I had an extended warranty for one of my cars... and it didn't cover the air springs or any electronic devices in the car. Which sucked, because my Mark VIII blew an airspring. Then it didn't cover this... then it didn't cover that... I finally got them to refund me. And THAT process sucked ***. (Yes, I left *** in there on purpose to punch the point in.)

HOWEVER... much like you just said... if you need it, it's worth it's weight in gold. If you need it. And it is covering the problem. Which honestly, more times than not, isn't the case (the needing it bit, that is.)

Wasn't ever needed for mine. Yep, when I bought Awesome, I put a warranty of the highest level (she was at 20K and still covered by the original 3/36K warranty, so for past that [which was part of it too.. wasn't double covering, it was a kick in]) for as long as the loan and expected mileage were to be... and never used it.

Worth.
Every.
Penny.

Because I didn't have to worry about what would happen if she decided to eat a transmission or something. I just got to enjoy her.

So this is really a mental 'make me feel better' thing or not, and in that respect, it is entirely YOUR decision... asking us won't make that decision any more right or not.

Go zen out, think, and then pull the trigger or not wholly on your own.

---

I myself am more curious how a waterpump on the engine didn't give any other real indications of problems before it blew the motor... odd that... unless it shattered the impeller and the bits got into the rotationals...?

But it was covered, so that really don't matter, I s'pose.

Last edited by houtex; 7/27/13 at 10:14 AM.
Old 7/27/13, 11:08 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Google ford esp as long as you don't live in Florida I found dealers selling ford plans 60 percent cheaper than the dealers here in Florida. Seems ford ESP plans pricing are state regulated. The a/c compressor on my 07 gt with only 20,000 miles stopped working,having ESP only cost me $100.00 instead of $1,200.
Old 7/27/13, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
^ That.

I had an extended warranty for one of my cars... and it didn't cover the air springs or any electronic devices in the car. Which sucked, because my Mark VIII blew an airspring. Then it didn't cover this... then it didn't cover that... I finally got them to refund me. And THAT process sucked ***. (Yes, I left *** in there on purpose to punch the point in.)

HOWEVER... much like you just said... if you need it, it's worth it's weight in gold. If you need it. And it is covering the problem. Which honestly, more times than not, isn't the case (the needing it bit, that is.)

Wasn't ever needed for mine. Yep, when I bought Awesome, I put a warranty of the highest level (she was at 20K and still covered by the original 3/36K warranty, so for past that [which was part of it too.. wasn't double covering, it was a kick in]) for as long as the loan and expected mileage were to be... and never used it.

Worth.
Every.
Penny.

Because I didn't have to worry about what would happen if she decided to eat a transmission or something. I just got to enjoy her.

So this is really a mental 'make me feel better' thing or not, and in that respect, it is entirely YOUR decision... asking us won't make that decision any more right or not.

Go zen out, think, and then pull the trigger or not wholly on your own.

---

I myself am more curious how a waterpump on the engine didn't give any other real indications of problems before it blew the motor... odd that... unless it shattered the impeller and the bits got into the rotationals...?

But it was covered, so that really don't matter, I s'pose.

It was a very bizarre situation. It was winter here and somewhat cold out.
I was in the expressway when I noticed my heater wasnt working.
Tmp gage was all the way cold (which was bizarre) about 2 miles later car started running rough, I pulled over popped the hood and there was a funny "electrical " smell I guessed. Engine wasnt hot at all, didnt see any smoke or anti freeze pissing out. Got back in the car, wouldn't start, towed to dealership
Where they determined a water pump failure caused engine to overheat warping a piston, and some valve damage due to heat.

Resulting in a new engine install....

The the result wasnt as easy as I may have led you to believe.
As the warranty adjuster decided they would only cover the parts NOT the labor!
So I was responsible for about $2000 labor and and car rental for 2 weeks (took 3 weeks to get my car back)... I seriously thought about suing them as the dealership claims they have never seen a decision like that! And the warranty clearly states parts and labor! I did cotact an attorney, but he was a gutless worm, and didnt instill confidence in me. Other than telling me his fees would be between $1500 and $2000, and if they lost I would owe him the $$...

I also happened to work for the auto company that issued the warranty (not ford) and
It probably would not be a great career move to Persue this any further...

I've read the warranty, and as I expected doesn't cover ANY wear items (none if them do) and shocks, springs and struts are wear items!

I realize it's my "choice" with the warranty.
However I just realized that $2000 doesn't sound like such a bad deal as even small repair (like AC compressor) will likely go bad in the next 5 years (car will be 10 years old) and that will eat up $1200 of the cost not counting anything else that might go wrong?
Old 7/27/13, 09:04 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Prsartist3
It was a very bizarre situation. It was winter here and somewhat cold out.
I was in the expressway when I noticed my heater wasnt working.
Tmp gage was all the way cold (which was bizarre) about 2 miles later car started running rough, I pulled over popped the hood and there was a funny "electrical " smell I guessed. Engine wasnt hot at all, didnt see any smoke or anti freeze pissing out. Got back in the car, wouldn't start, towed to dealership
Where they determined a water pump failure caused engine to overheat warping a piston, and some valve damage due to heat.
this was in a S197? which engine? if the temp sensors run dry and dont give indication, I'd like to think about a backup device... the 4.6 was designed to have 'limp mode' in case of coolant failure like the old Northstar engine did- supposed to be able to run dry for 50 miles at drastically reduced power(shuts off each injector every other intake cycle to just push air thru the motor to reduce heat)...
Old 7/27/13, 09:13 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by ford4v429
this was in a S197? which engine? if the temp sensors run dry and dont give indication, I'd like to think about a backup device... the 4.6 was designed to have 'limp mode' in case of coolant failure like the old Northstar engine did- supposed to be able to run dry for 50 miles at drastically reduced power(shuts off each injector every other intake cycle to just push air thru the motor to reduce heat)...

No it was not a mustang or ford product.
Old 7/27/13, 09:37 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 66 Likes on 31 Posts
No it was not a mustang or ford product.
whew! had me worried for a minute there
Old 7/27/13, 09:43 PM
V6 Member

The earlier tip to check prices online for ford ESP really paid off!
The dealership quoted me just under $2200
The 1st place I checked was $1600.

A few minutes later they sent me a code for $190 off that price if I get it by the end if the month......

That kind if crap really pisses me off!
Why would a dealer try to charge that much more???
I'm gonna show it to them Monday, it the dont instantly match that price I'm walking out!

I was kinda on the fence about $2200, but at $1400 I think it's very reasonable just for the piece of mind.....

Thanks guys!
Old 7/28/13, 05:34 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,056 Likes on 661 Posts
Nice car! Looks familiar
First off, I wouldn't even consider any 'aftermarket' or 'secondary' program. The manufacturers are fine. Ford is fine, GM is fine, etc.. Too many horror stories out there with the secondary market companies not paying, or causing major grief.
No one can predict the future with their car repairs. I bought 'plans' constantly with new cars starting in the 80's. I probably broke out about 'even' in the long run. When I bought an ESP for my '88 Merkur (remember them?) it was the best move of my life. Every a/c component broke in that car during the hot FL summers. Well over $2,000 in savings which was a ton of $$ in the 80's and early 90's. On the losing end of the equation were a new '96 Formula which had only a broken window motor in 9 years of ownership, a 2004 minivan that had zero issue in 6 years, and my Trans Am which has had zero issues other than a bad cat which was covered anyway for 10 years or 100,000 miles. So I lost bad on most of them but was bailed out on one about 20 years ago. It's tough to lay out that extra money and I won't do it anymore. I'm easy on my cars overall. That's another factor. How do you drive? Do you maintain the car well with fluid changes, etc...? It all enters the equation.
Buying an ESP on a 'used' car with 36k miles already on the odometer makes a lot more sense than buying a plan for a car with zero miles and a decent warranty to start with. A very personal decision.

Last edited by NC14GT; 7/28/13 at 05:35 AM.
Old 7/28/13, 08:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
The 197's have a great track record , I say pass on the extended warranty. Put the money in the bank just in case.
Old 7/28/13, 11:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
The earlier tip to check prices online for ford ESP really paid off!
The dealership quoted me just under $2200
The 1st place I checked was $1600.

A few minutes later they sent me a code for $190 off that price if I get it by the end if the month......

That kind if crap really pisses me off!
Why would a dealer try to charge that much more???
I'm gonna show it to them Monday, it the dont instantly match that price I'm walking out!

I was kinda on the fence about $2200, but at $1400 I think it's very reasonable just for the piece of mind.....

Thanks guys!
Why? Because of people like yourself who didn't know to check around. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

By and large, the car business is *NOW TODAY NOW NOW NOW* so they pressure and play and tactic and the next thing you know you've bought invisible clothes.

Caveat Emptor, always and forever, with car dealerships, and really, just about anything. Research is always your best friend.

/Which is why they hate them smartphones... keeps them 'honest.'
Old 7/28/13, 11:22 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider this article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...over/index.htm
Old 7/28/13, 05:12 PM
V6 Member

I have to say way back when I bought a 2001 Silverado 2500. It was in pristine condition and with low mileage. I was offered and bought the Chevy extended warranty. After I had second thoughts about the warranty on such a 'clean' truck. About 6 months after I bought the truck the trans went out and I lost any gear after 1st. I called the number on the warranty, gave them my location and within an hour I was in a tow truck headed to the dealership. I told them the issue, paid my $100 deductable and left in a rental. About 4 days later they called me and told me it was done. I picked up the truck and within the first mile I could tell it wasn't right. I took it back and told them and They ended up replacing the convertor and installed a new trans again instead of a rebuilt one. I had to wait for it to arrive from the factory but both were 100% new. After that I never had a problem with the truck. Total cost for parts and labor was $4400 dollars. Cost to me $100 bucks. It paid for itself on the first shot.

Last edited by 05gtowner; 7/28/13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 7/28/13, 05:24 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by 05gtowner
I have to say way back when I bought a 2001 Silverado 2500. It was in pristine condition and with low mileage. I was offered and bought the Chevy extended warranty. After I had second thoughts about the warranty on such a 'clean' truck. About 6 months after I bought the truck the trans went out and I lost any gear after 1st. I called the number on the warranty, gave them my location and within an hour I was in a tow truck headed to the dealership. I told them the issue, paid my $100 deductable and left in a rental. About 4 days later they called me and told me it was done. I picked up the truck and within the first mile I could tell it wasn't right. I took it back and told them and They ended up replacing the convertor and installed a new trans again instead of a rebuilt one. I had to wait for it to arrive from the factory but both were 100% new. After that I never had a problem with the truck. Total cost for parts and labor was $4400 dollars. Cost to me $100 bucks. It paid for itself on the first shot.

Yeah, that why I'm thinking at $1400
It may be worth it just for the piece of mind.
For the time being my 08 is my daily driver. Hopefully by fall
It will turn into a garage queen like my 05'

If that happens it will likely get driven very little in good weather
And my 05' will go into long term storage.. So it will be unlikely the warranty
Will be used..... Anyways I've got 30 days to think it over...

The dealer wanting $2200 it wasn't so attractive!
Old 7/29/13, 09:35 AM
V6 Member

It worked for me but I went through the warranty with a fine tooth comb first and wouldn't do it again unless it was a Ford warranty.