2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

JBA Lifetime Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 7/25/06, 08:20 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JBA Lifetime Warranty?

JBA has a great reputation. Searching around I couldn't find but a few complaints about their product. Sucks to be me. I bought the Evol axleback one month ago. I live a half hour north of them (factory? office??). Thinking GREAT, if there's any problem, I'm RIGHT here! Well a week after installing them - fit WAS an issue by the way, I start to hear a rattle at lower RPMs. No big deal, get back under and tighten the clamps back down. Well the clamps were as tight as they would go and the mufflers still moved around loose. No big deal, I really like the JBAs - sound great, look great, I'm going to keep them, I'll just have them welded. Driving away from my mechanics shop I notice the sound is louder... I climb under, tap around and find the noise is coming from inside the passenger side muffler. No problem, JBA is just a half hour down the freeway..... I call them up the next week and they tell me to bring it by so they can confirm it IS the muffler (I really didn't expect them to take my word for it over the phone). So I drive down the following Saturday, Greg goes out, taps it a couple of times and yes it is the muffler. They will replace it but they don't have one in stock. Call back next week. I explain I'm moving to Florida in two weeks, I really don't want to drive cross country with a rattling muffler. I mean, I'm right HERE where they're made, replacing shouldn't be a problem. So I call and I get an appointment to bring it in NEXT Saturday. Saturday shows up, I drive down and....
"Well, we don't have any in stock and the factory won't have any until next month."
So what do I do now? I'm driving to Florida on Thursday.
"We'll mail it to you".
Can I get my money back?
"Do you have the stock mufflers with you?"
No and the JBAs are welded on. Can I buy another muffler and you give me a discount or the difference for the JBAs?
"Call back next week."
I call on Monday, yesterday, and talk to David. I explain everything from start to finish - install, rattle, weld, come back, call back, come back. And he tells me they're on back order until next month. I ask him if I can buy another muffler.
"Sure, we'll sell you another muffler"
No, I mean minus the difference of the JBAs.
"Let me call you back"
He calls back and tells me they'll give me the Magnaflow Axlebacks for $399 plus $90 an hour for installation - about an hour and a half.
I called the factory - JBA Headers and JBA Racing are and aren't the same company. They're "sister" companies. I get the same thing - some time next month. No refund - exchange only.
So here I am. Been driving around with a defective product in the home town of the company that makes it and they can't replace it(per their warranty). They won't even offer a similar product even when I'm willing to offset the difference. Am I asking/expecting too much?
Old 7/25/06, 09:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you buy it directly from them?
Old 7/25/06, 09:25 AM
V6 Member

Yep - JBA Racing "is JBAs sister company". I'm not sure if you can by directly from JBA Headers.
Old 7/25/06, 03:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

IMO they should take back the defective ones and let you pay the difference to upgrade. A REALLY good gesture would be for them to upgrade you for free after all your troubles. Especially since they are warrantied and they are out of stock.
Old 7/25/06, 06:18 PM
V6 Member

Talked to JBA Headers again later today. The "best they can do" is ship me the muffler when they have it in stock - they're not going to charge me for shipping but I will have to give them a credit card # so they can charge me for it until they receive the defective one back.
JBA racing was going to get back to me, that was yesterday morning.
F.T.S. I'm taking it somewhere else and having a different exhaust put in. JBA blows.

Uh, yeah....
Old 7/25/06, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thats BS. When are places going to stop treating us like crooks and treat us like paying customers! Like you WANT to keep a defective muffler! Thats not "the best we can do" like in previous post they COULD upgrade you charge you the difference, or they COULD upgrade you for free as a gesture to make up for all your troubles!

Its all about money but they need to learn that when other enthusiest such as myself hear these stories we try to avoid those companies so in the end they lose out on a sale.