2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Important Question About Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10/19/04 | 08:04 AM
GT Member

Mustangs are typically fast, fun, and affordable. In order to make these cars affordable, many cost cutting steps are taken. IRS, retractible roof, intake manifold cover, et al. Yes, the interior of the '05 is somwhat plasticy. This is true of most all mid-priced cars as Kevin's photos illustrate. However, the '05 interior is as someone said, "... a $30,000 interior in a $20,000 car." To get this interior in the base model is a great thing. Add the brushed aluminum panels in the IUP and it is even better.

I drove an '05 GT at Irwindale and the car did very well in many aspects, with no glaring goofs. Ford made the correct trade-offs to keep the sales price within 5% of the 2004 cars. Think of the Mustang as a four wheeled Harley-Davidson, where the owner is expected to customize the bike after the sale.

I can't wait. B)
Old 10/19/04 | 10:44 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by TomServo92+October 19, 2004, 7:49 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TomServo92 @ October 19, 2004, 7:49 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bpmurr@October 19, 2004, 5:34 AM
I wish Ford would have included the option of an integrated navigation system into the Mustang. At first, I thought the one in my Accord would just be for showing off but now I can't live without it. It's probably the biggest reason I'm holding off buying a Mustang GT.
They can't but not for any technical reason. This issue has come up on a Mazda 6 forum I frequent as well. From what I've heard, the union contract at AAI doesn't allow for the installation of a navigation system by union workers or for it to be done by an outside vendor. In order to do that, they'd have to re-negotiate the contract. That's why you can get a navigation system in the less expensive Mazda 3 (built in Japan) and the not the 6s (or the '05 Mustangs) built at AAI. I believe a nav system is available for 6s built outside of North America.

Perhaps some of our AAI members can confirm or deny... [/b][/quote]
Lazy union workers. It’s a piece of cake to install something like a Navi when the car isn't fully assembled. It's because of unions that America has a hard time competing in the global market place. You have to move a mountain in order to get the littlest thing done. I'll get off my soap box now.
Old 10/19/04 | 11:17 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome Kamikaze,

If a Kia is a bargain basement car, and has a better interior than a mustang, why would you want a mustang? I would buy the Kia? That's a no-brainer! Why bash the interior if you haven't checked out the GT? Update the dash materials? I've never heard of an auto company ever doing that! Update to what?

This is reality my friend..... plastic took over a few years back as being the leading material, over wood, leather, etc. because of cost. Like it or not, we better get use to it because until something comes along that is cheaper still, that's what we will get. It's just that they have different grades of the stuff now. The more expensive the materials, the more expensive the car! Simple as that!

Auto Makers try to please the masses to an extent! they have to. That's where they make their money. They will never please everyone. They try to put a product out that is affordable to the general public, without going overboard. Personally, I thought Ford done an excellent job with the car, versus older models. It's an all new platform. At least now they are adding aluminum, instead of plastic. If your looking for a high end car for 25 grand, good luck. I don't think the Mustang is the car for you.

On the other hand, Thanks Ford! I will certainly own one!
Old 10/19/04 | 11:18 AM
Mach 1 Member

I think the only thing in the interior that looks cheap is the radio. Maybe that was part of the retro look. It looks like an AM readio. Just a couple of buttons.
Old 10/19/04 | 03:58 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Phil@October 19, 2004, 7:42 AM
I would like to offer you an X-Plan for considering the new Mustang and Ford. I am certain that once you get over the initial shock value of this exciting interior you will be very happy? Please let me know as we can coordinate this via the phone or email? Thanks!
Wait, you mean all I have to do is come in here and complain about some aspect of the 05 and someone will offer me XPlan? Let me go start that thread about the missing "Mr Fusion™" unit... Can I have XPlan now?

-Mike
Old 10/19/04 | 05:04 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Robert@October 18, 2004, 10:51 PM
I don't care if it's "simple stamped, sit on the floor" tin foil, it's still better executed than anything coming out of 'Detroit', and the sales figures reflect that.
Let me get this straight.
  • You don't like domestics
  • You don't like Fords
  • You don't like Mustangs
  • You like imports
Why exactly are you here? You are coming to a board that is strictly about Ford Mustangs and complaining about what you percieve as the new Mustang's design shortcomings and telling us how great the imports are. What are trying to accomplish? Are you trying "convert" Mustang enthusiasts? Are you trying to make yourself feel better because you don't like all the attention the 2005 Mustang is getting?

Should Domestic enthusiasts go over to Honda, Toyota and Acura boards and do what you are doing here? How would you react?

I'm not trying to start trouble, I'm think these are legitimate questions.

BTW... as far as sales figures go, what is the #1 best-selling vehicle in the US right now? I'll give you a hint: it starts with an "F" and its not an import...
7 of the top 10 best selling vehicles are domestics.
top ten best selling vehicles article
Old 10/19/04 | 05:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Robert+October 19, 2004, 5:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ October 19, 2004, 5:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Indystang@October 19, 2004, 5:40 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-scs
@October 18, 2004, 5:54 PM
The list of options for the 05 Mustang should also include...
(for those of us in the Great White that drive alot in the winter and at night)

1) Seating Comfort Package, includes Seat adjuster, power, front passenger 6-way and Seats, heated, driver and front passenger, six-way power passenger seat

2) Mirror Group, includes Mirror, inside rearview, electrochromic with dual reading lights and Mirrors, outside rearview, power, heated, body-color

3) Driver Information and Security Group, trip computer with outside temperature and compass

4) OnStar, 1-year Safe and Sound Service

5) Sunroof, power, tilt-sliding, includes sunshade

Guess where I got this info... But I'm giving this up for the Pony... so far....

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

OPPS! forgot a couple of items..........

6) REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

7) ILLUM VISORS WITH EXTENDERS

maybe 8) INTEGRATED GLASS ANTENNA

and 9) TIRE INFLATION MONITOR

10) DUAL EXHAUST OUTLETS (on a V6????)

SCS

Maybe you should just go buy a Cadillac.
A Cadillac?!

You can get most of those features on a MAZDA 3, for crissake!

Out of touch. [/b][/quote]
Robert, I find it ironic, that you being in Canada would rant about the Mazda3's nav system, when it isn't availible in Canada.....

And when you refer to quality, what exactly are you getting at? Reliability? Or just how things look/feel?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Mazda3 (considering getting one for a winter car).
Mustang doesn't have a sunroof? That's ok, show me a Mazda3 convertible.....
It does have a trip computer....the Onstar thing is cool, but it's GM as everyone else has pointed out. I have yet to see a Mustang up here (post 1960's) that doesn't have a rear defroster.
The Mustang could have as many options as, say, a Mini, but.....if you can double the car's price in options, do you really need that many??
Old 10/19/04 | 05:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vermillion98+October 19, 2004, 5:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Vermillion98 @ October 19, 2004, 5:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robert@October 18, 2004, 10:51 PM
I don't care if it's "simple stamped, sit on the floor" tin foil, it's still better executed than anything coming out of 'Detroit', and the sales figures reflect that.
  • You don't like Fords
  • You like imports
Why exactly are you here? You are coming to a board that is strictly about Ford Mustangs and complaining about what you percieve as the new Mustang's design shortcomings and telling us how great the imports are. What are trying to accomplish? Are you trying "convert" Mustang enthusiasts? Are you trying to make yourself feel better because you don't like all the attention the 2005 Mustang is getting?

Should Domestic enthusiasts go over to Honda, Toyota and Acura boards and do what you are doing here? How would you react?

BTW... as far as sales figures go, what is the #1 best-selling vehicle in the US right now? I'll give you a hint: it starts with an "F" and its not an import...
top ten best selling vehicles article [/b][/quote]
I have over 240 posts here...you have 14. :nono:

You don't know me or my feelings about domestics, so I'll thank you not to pretend you do. I'm talking about SPECIFIC quality issues and why the domestics are BEHIND in sales figures.

Top ten figures mean NOTHING. Look at overall corporate sales figures and profits. Ford is losing money while Toyota is making record profits.

If you don't think that's a problem, then stick your head back in the sand.

I, on the other hand, am trying to wake people up as to part of the reason WHY it's a problem.
Old 10/20/04 | 10:40 AM
GT Member

I just want to say a few things since ive been reading this thread for a while now. I'm not going to bash anyone in this post either, just speak my mind. As far as the quality of the interior in the 05 go, its leaps and bounds above the SN95's. When you say interior, are we just referring to the dash, or the interior as a whole? We should specify this. If we're talking about durability issues, then lets look at industry as a whole. I own a 2003.7 Mazdaspeed Protege, granted, an import, but a nicely built car at that. Interior for only 21K is extremely nice, and they took it to a whole new level when they redesigned the platform, dropped the Protege, and brought in the 3. Personal experience - just adding some more insight.
As for GM, has anyone sat in a 2-3 year old vehicle and looked at the interior. I worked at an auto auction this summer and frequently found myself driving both GM and Ford vehicles. Take a look at any Cadillac, Chevy, GMC after about 2-3 years and look at the buttons and the interior. Typically, leather (if available) is cracked, controls are worn (GM uses a water based paint for buttons, Ford uses acrylic), and the overall look is just awful. Ranging anywhere from a Saturn up to a 55,000$ Escalade, the same problems are evident. Getting into a Ford of the same age will show that the controls are still intact, leather,while cracked, may not be as bad, and interior still looks to be in "good" condition.
As for the imports, my friend has a '03 Civic. Very nice car. I can't say that they lack in qualty in one bit. The car is about 6 months older than mine and well kept, and the interior quality is still like what youd expect in a showroom.

IMO, my only complaint with the 05 interior (I've personally driven 3 of them, all 5 spd GTs) is that it looks good, but they could still make it even better. I personally think that the Shaker 500/1000 door speakers (subs) should have some type of applique around them, instead of the standard plastic ring. Also, I think the window switches should incorporate the same aluminum look as the dash has with the IUP. C'mon, my Protege has "brushed aluminum" around the windows and center console, why not the GT.
As for the quality, i'm writing this with the facts that ive received. My father is an engineer for Ford. I'm a student majoring in electrical engineering. I may not have as much general knowledge as some of the people on this forum, but i'm hoping that with what ive seen/heard/experienced that it might help someone else.
Old 10/20/04 | 04:40 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Robert+October 19, 2004, 5:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ October 19, 2004, 5:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Vermillion98@October 19, 2004, 5:07 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Robert
@October 18, 2004, 10:51 PM

• You don't like Fords

• You like imports

top ten best selling vehicles article
I have over 240 posts here...you have 14. :nono:

You don't know me or my feelings about domestics, so I'll thank you not to pretend you do. I'm talking about SPECIFIC quality issues and why the domestics are BEHIND in sales figures.

Top ten figures mean NOTHING. Look at overall corporate sales figures and profits. Ford is losing money while Toyota is making record profits.

If you don't think that's a problem, then stick your head back in the sand.

I, on the other hand, am trying to wake people up as to part of the reason WHY it's a problem.[/b][/quote]
You bring up having more posts than me; since when does that make any difference? Do you think that makes you the "big man on the playground" ? It's irrelevant.

I 'm not pretending anything. I'm just going by what you have posted here. If you don't mean what you say, then why do you say it? The statement of yours that I quoted sure doesn't sound pro-Detroit.

You bring up sales figures; then you say top ten sales figures "mean nothing". Really... so selling the highest number of vehicles in a given time period means nothing to automakers? What alternate reality do you live in?

Ford is losing money currently because many of their products are at the end of their life cycles and Ford is in the process of launching new ones. Of course you overlook that fact.

My head is not in the sand; I'm quite aware of what's going on in the world. I just don't need people like you arrogantly talking down to me, trying to "enlighten me".

Here's a thought : maybe the answer for you is to forget all about the 2005 Mustang since it upsets you so much , buy a new import , revel in the feeling of smug superiority it gives you , and be happy.
Old 10/20/04 | 04:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by upstate@October 19, 2004, 11:21 AM
I think the only thing in the interior that looks cheap is the radio. Maybe that was part of the retro look. It looks like an AM readio. Just a couple of buttons.
Splitting hairs here, but for me few buttons does not equal cheap. If they can manage to squeeze all functonality into just a few buttons I'm all the happier.

What's important is the finish of it all, the way pieces fit together and how the plastic "feels". To me this is less of a point since all makers these days are going for a cheaper interior. As long as nothing is loose and it doesnt' "rattle" while driving I'm happy. (rattling is by far the most annoying things with new cars. there's *always* something in the dash somewhere that shakes at some frequencies)
Old 10/20/04 | 05:20 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Kamikaze@October 18, 2004, 3:12 PM
The car felt very cheap in the inside from the steering wheel to the guage covers and the seat was mighty high it did not feel like a sport car in the slightest use of the term.
from what i've heard the seat is adjustable up and down
and when the interior has all the options it looks pretty good to me.
I like it better than most of the interiors kevin posted.
Old 10/20/04 | 05:27 PM
Cobra Member

Robert-

Why can't you just go buy a BMW? Please.....

I won't have to listen to your liberal leanings when noone else brings politics up or your constant whining of the interior quality and how luxury options are not available on the Mustang.
Old 10/20/04 | 05:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Vermillion98@October 20, 2004, 4:43 PM
You bring up having more posts than me; since when does that make any difference? Do you think that makes you the "big man on the playground" ? It's irrelevant.

I 'm not pretending anything. I'm just going by what you have posted here. If you don't mean what you say, then why do you say it? The statement of yours that I quoted sure doesn't sound pro-Detroit.

You bring up sales figures; then you say top ten sales figures "mean nothing". Really... so selling the highest number of vehicles in a given time period means nothing to automakers? What alternate reality do you live in?

Ford is losing money currently because many of their products are at the end of their life cycles and Ford is in the process of launching new ones. Of course you overlook that fact.

My head is not in the sand; I'm quite aware of what's going on in the world. I just don't need people like you arrogantly talking down to me, trying to "enlighten me".

Here's a thought : maybe the answer for you is to forget all about the 2005 Mustang since it upsets you so much , buy a new import , revel in the feeling of smug superiority it gives you , and be happy.
I was wrong. Your head isn't buried in the sand, it's buried up a part of your anatomy.

This discussion is ended, bubba.
Old 10/20/04 | 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Badandy@October 20, 2004, 5:30 PM
Robert-

I won't have to listen to your liberal leanings when noone else brings politics up or your constant whining of the interior quality and how luxury options are not available on the Mustang.
As my dad used to say: If you don't like it...lump it.

No one asked you to advertise your misguided political beliefs in your avatar, either.
Old 10/20/04 | 05:38 PM
Cobra Member

Your opinion is that they are misguided. To call them that is only to state your own intolerance and ignorance.
Old 10/20/04 | 05:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Robert+October 20, 2004, 4:38 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robert @ October 20, 2004, 4:38 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Badandy@October 20, 2004, 5:30 PM
Robert-

As my dad used to say: If you don't like it...lump it.

No one asked you to advertise your misguided political beliefs in your avatar, either. [/b][/quote]
HAHAHA....last time I checked Robert....George W. Bush is our President. Or are you a time traveler from Jan 2009, when GWB gives up the Presidency to the next Republican President, because he sure isn't going to have to hand it over after only one term, and forgot that you came back in time? Are you like every other (to use your term) misguided American and are a Democrat, and speak before you think..and spout your mouth off?

"your misguided political beliefs in your avatar"

Last time I checked, reality is not misguided....it is what it is. Bandandy's avatar simple states.... W...the President. Our President is....George W. Bush. Wow, your right....saying who the President is, is quite the political statement. Hmm.

Why don't you take a chill pill Robert...or are you bent out of shape because your beloved medal throwing hippy traitor of a candidate is trailing in this race?

remember...you started it bro.

Can we talk about Mustangs now?

EDIT: Oh Robert, I see you live in BC. You don't even live here...and I assume you neither vote here? Why don't you keep your Socialist views up North.
Old 10/20/04 | 07:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

HAHAHA....last time I checked Robert....George W. Bush is our President. Or are you a time traveler from Jan 2009, when GWB gives up the Presidency to the next Republican President, because he sure isn't going to have to hand it over after only one term, and forgot that you came back in time? Are you like every other (to use your term) misguided American and are a Democrat, and speak before you think..and spout your mouth off?

Last time I checked, reality is not misguided....it is what it is. Bandandy's avatar simple states.... W...the President. Our President is....George W. Bush. Wow, your right....saying who the President is, is quite the political statement. Hmm.

Why don't you take a chill pill Robert...or are you bent out of shape because your beloved medal throwing hippy traitor of a candidate is trailing in this race?
I served in the military, @#%&hole! So I know what it means for someone to be in combat, under fire and seriously injured (unlike those in the Bush administration who shirked their duty and ducked it every chance they had, only to turn around in middle age and send young people to die in their illegal, immoral and unnecessary war!). If you've never worn the uniform, then you have NOTHING to say about it! Or as we say in the military: "Step up or step off lightly, bubba!"

remember...you started it bro.
First of all, if someone's a redneck and has low self-esteem because of it, I'm not responsible for that. Second of all, I only made some critical comments about the '05 interior to promote healthy debate - if you can't take it, go somewhere else where you'll be more welcome. Thirdly, I don't respond unless I'm attacked first, and if I am, then I'll bloody well finish it!

Oh, and fourthly, I ain't your "bro." :nono:

EDIT: Oh Robert, I see you live in BC. You don't even live here...and I assume you neither vote here? Why don't you keep your Socialist views up North.
Um, well actually, I have dual citizenship and many, many friends and relatives in the US.

All I'm going to say is that if we vote Bush in again, then we get the government we deserve.
Old 10/20/04 | 09:13 PM
GT Member

just a question here, Robert if you have 250 some odd posts, why do you choose to sit here and attack everyone? If I remember correctly, we're supposed to play nice on this forum, since its family oriented. I think the least we can do is act mature.
Old 10/20/04 | 09:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

When newbies come on here and attack me for merely questioning aspects of the Mustang (something I've EARNED the right to do as a long time poster and Mustang owner)...and slag a candidate for President who served bravely for his country, faced death and earned medals, then I as a former soldier am going to take great offense.

Attack others...live with the consequences.

Quick Reply: Important Question About Quality