2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Important Question About Quality

Search this Thread

Old 10/18/04, 04:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by scs@October 18, 2004, 4:02 PM
Welcome Kamikaze,

You will get some very negative feedback here from various individuals.
I'm not one of them. I am also an Engr (Major EE, minor ME) and I've very
recently sat, for the first time, in a GT with the IUP. I'm not sure whether the V6
you sat in had the IUP? I was not overly impressed with the IUP. The leather
seats, electric, on the hand did have a very nice feel to them, comparable to
my loaded 03 Yukon XL with leather. The quality of the design and assembly
appears to be what was intended, but what was intended was not top of the line,
ex. many plastic fasteners where there should be screws. The doors on the 05 do
feel much, much better then the prior year (s??) in that they feel much more solid
when they open and close. The headliner felt hollow, not quite what I expected.
Over all, compared to other vehicles I've looked at over the previous year, probably
worth the money. Monte Carlo was/is my second choice while I wait for more
opinions and I wait for them to start the build on my V6/manual/IUP at the end
of November.

Regards,

SCS
Don't let me tell you what to buy, but are you seriously considering buying a Chevy Monte Carlo? FWD? Pushrod V6?

Anything that's a late 1970s remake, endorsed by Tony Stewart is something I would steer clear of. Just my not-so-humble-opinion.
Old 10/18/04, 04:05 PM
FR500 Member

Take a look at the timeline:

Non - IUP
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time...05/0914-34.jpg

IUP
http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/time.../05/0915-5.jpg

The IUP is not exclusive to the GT, it can also be had on a V6 as well.

:Edited for stupidity:
Old 10/18/04, 04:11 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

Come on guys, I'm deeply disappointed that people responded with flames (flares) and didn't give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Seriously, the guy didn't like the look of the V6 and it felt cheap to him. I know I've been in some cars and they just didn't work for me. The retro look could come across cheap looking to some. I preferred the Concept to the final (in pictures). But I haven't seen it in person yet.

As SCS said, it might have just been the lack up the Interior Upgrade Package, or he didn't like cloth seats, or it might just be style and the retro thing. But the guy derserves the benefit of the doubt until he proves he's a troll, not assume he's a troll because he was disappointed and presented his view a little overly strong.

So Kamikazee -- Go check out the GT, try out the leather upgrade and IUP and see if you like it better.
Old 10/18/04, 04:12 PM

SCS thank you for your wonderful input and to answer your question the car I sat in today did not feature the IUP therefore I still have yet to see it in person.
Old 10/18/04, 04:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Umm...Sixty-six... I think those are both the same photos.
Old 10/18/04, 04:15 PM
scs

Yes, before I saw the 05 Mustang for the first time,
I was a CH away from driving home the MC....
But then I found the 05 Pony and have put in my order
and am waiting... waiting for opinions, possible problems...
I still have months to wait.... and watch.... But I do really
like the body style, and have wanted a Mustang since HS (1974)...
I have/will be spending alot of time in a vehicle (I drive >40K miles
a year just to work/back) and the V8 with insurance and gas is just
too much... So its a fully loaded V6 per my signature thats on order,
been on order since Ford pulled the first orders...
Old 10/18/04, 04:15 PM
GT Member

Kamikaze, I am also from the Long Beach area. A salesman from Power Ford of Tustin called me to sell a loaded Silver GT that they have on their lot.
Go check the interiors out for yourself.
Mind you the dealership is planning to sell the 05's for 3000 over MSRP.
Old 10/18/04, 04:21 PM

Kamikaze,
I agree with you about the interior in the '05 base V6. There was just something about the plastic textures that turned me off. Given the fact that my primary driver is a Mark VIII, I might be biased. That's why I'm going back tonight to look at a GT with IUP.

BTW, the dealer here in TN has already received 4 '05's. 3 of them are GTs
Old 10/18/04, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by Red/Black GT@October 18, 2004, 2:18 PM
Kamikaze, I am also from the Long Beach area. A salesman from Power Ford of Tustin called me to sell a loaded Silver GT that they have on their lot.
I went to Worthington Ford over on Bellflower and they are going to sell the GT 4k over MSRP.
Old 10/18/04, 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Red/Black GT@October 18, 2004, 4:18 PM
Wow! 3 grand over. :nono: :nono:
Old 10/18/04, 04:46 PM
FR500 Member

Originally posted by JustAnotherDude@October 18, 2004, 4:17 PM
Umm...Sixty-six... I think those are both the same photos.
Umm...you're right :bang:
Old 10/18/04, 04:51 PM
scs

The list of options for the 05 Mustang should also include...
(for those of us in the Great White that drive alot in the winter and at night)

1) Seating Comfort Package, includes Seat adjuster, power, front passenger 6-way and Seats, heated, driver and front passenger, six-way power passenger seat

2) Mirror Group, includes Mirror, inside rearview, electrochromic with dual reading lights and Mirrors, outside rearview, power, heated, body-color

3) Driver Information and Security Group, trip computer with outside temperature and compass

4) OnStar, 1-year Safe and Sound Service

5) Sunroof, power, tilt-sliding, includes sunshade

Guess where I got this info... But I'm giving this up for the Pony... so far....

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

OPPS! forgot a couple of items..........

6) REAR WINDOW DEFOGGER

7) ILLUM VISORS WITH EXTENDERS

maybe 8) INTEGRATED GLASS ANTENNA

and 9) TIRE INFLATION MONITOR

10) DUAL EXHAUST OUTLETS (on a V6????)

SCS
Old 10/18/04, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got done looking at a just off the truck 05 V6 in sonic blue, with the IUP, it was pretty nice in my opinion.
Old 10/18/04, 04:57 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by scs@October 18, 2004, 4:54 PM
4) OnStar, 1-year Safe and Sound Service

I have to agree with that one. I think Onstar is a great thing, helps save lives/keep people safe and employs people (telehone operators etc.) at the same time.
Old 10/18/04, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SixtySix@October 18, 2004, 3:21 PM
Come back when you have at least 38 pieces of flare.
Haha, I just watched that last night.

"Looks like someone has a bad case of the Mondays!"
Old 10/18/04, 05:17 PM
FR500 Member

I was wondering if anybody would get that
Old 10/18/04, 05:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by Kamikaze+October 18, 2004, 4:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Kamikaze @ October 18, 2004, 4:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Red/Black GT@October 18, 2004, 2:18 PM
I went to Worthington Ford over on Bellflower and they are going to sell the GT 4k over MSRP. [/b][/quote]
Ok so you've now seen a GT with the Iup...so whats your impression of the interior now?
Old 10/18/04, 05:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Kamikaze:

Welcome to the boards!

Try not to take the hard-core Mustang enthusiasts too seriously. A number of them believe in God, America, George Bush and Ford - and precious little else. Question any of the aforementioned, and you're asking for it.

I had the same feelings about the Mustang interior, even though I haven't seen it yet. But you can tell from the high res-pictures that some of the plastics look hard and thin. I recently sat in a brand new F-150 truck and was shocked at how cheap the interior felt. The plastic was indeed hard, thin and hollow, and the radio controls were loosey-goosey - the switches wobbled around. Reminded me of the kind of plastic that Rubbermaid uses in its storage containers that you buy at Wallmart...or the plastic storage box that holds your Craftsman tools. Sorry, but that just ain't automotive grade in the 21st century! :nono:

Don't get me wrong - the new Stang interior is a quantum leap over the old car. But that wouldn't be difficult given the old car's sorry interior quality.

When it comes to interior fit & finish, what I've noticed is that Ford has pretty much nailed the "fit" part of the equation in its new vehicles, but the "finish" part is still lagging behind. When I look at the new Mustang (and I'm speaking of the loaded GT with the IUP and Premium Package) it seems like they got it 75% right...then ran out of money. I can see it in the plastics and switches used in the center stack...and in the center console plastic, which will begin to develop that "shine" from skin oil after a while.

No question, the equivalent priced imports do a better job with interior materials. Just look at the Acura TSX (same price as Mustang GT) or TL. Now THAT'S how you do an interior at an affordable price! I don't know why Ford (and other domestics) just don't get it - and they wonder why they keep losing market share and sales!

But others are right - you need to see the fully loaded GT to make up your mind. I still think that for the money, nothing beats the Mustang GT's combination of looks, performance and (greatly) improved quality.
Old 10/18/04, 05:43 PM
GT Member

i don't post here alot but often enough to apologize for the rude and crude comments regarding your legitimate concerns.i am also 6'4'' and wonder if i will fit into the 05. i also have concerns on the quality of the interior pieces based on my previous experience with ford products. one thing i will say regarding the seat placement: since the mustang isn't a sports car by any stretch of the imagination, imo, then having the seat up off the floor is preferred...it makes getting in and out of the car much easier...unfortunately, it also cuts into the head room for us tall guys. jackg 90seville 95k
Old 10/18/04, 06:39 PM
Bullitt Member

No question, the equivalent priced imports do a better job with interior materials. Just look at the Acura TSX (same price as Mustang GT) or TL. Now THAT'S how you do an interior at an affordable price! I don't know why Ford (and other domestics) just don't get it - and they wonder why they keep losing market share and sales!
You're comparing an Acura TSX to a Mustang GT? You're missing 2 cylinders, 100 hp and you have wrong-wheel-drive.

Looks like a typical Honda dashboard. Purposeful and boring, yet well-built. Mustang's interior, cheap or not, has some character.

Quick Reply: Important Question About Quality