2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I saw it, I sat in it, I reved the snot out of it

Search this Thread

Old 5/28/04, 02:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Galaxie@May. 28th, 2004, 9:24 AM
people were complaining that the Mustang is a heavy car to the little tin boxes like the evo and sti.
Except the Evo and STi aren't exactly light -- both are right close to 3300 lbs, which isn't far off what a typical Mustang GT weighs.
Old 5/28/04, 03:47 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by KapitanGT@May. 26th, 2004, 8:45 PM
No major SE till 2007 but there is a slight SE (very minor changes, nothing we have anticipated) coming out either in late 05 or early 06. I myself am hoping these are just ideas and not 100% finalized plans and that they actually release a major SE (Bullitt, Mach 1, etc.) in 2006 cause that's when I'll be buying my Mustang.
Which SE is your sources 'hinting' we will see this coming March? I have read somewhere in this thread or related one about a possibility of a return of the Bullitt edition. I know this is all speculation but I would like to know if this might be true.
Old 5/28/04, 04:09 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by creedog@May. 28th, 2004, 3:50 PM

Which SE is your sources 'hinting' we will see this coming March? I have read somewhere in this thread or related one about a possibility of a return of the Bullitt edition. I know this is all speculation but I would like to know if this might be true.
The Ford guy at the show told me there would be a SE in March of 05, but wouldn't give any details on what it would be or look like.
Old 5/28/04, 11:13 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

V10, as I complimented dustin in the other thread, my hat goes off to you my friend. Excellent job. I can't believe you remembered your conversations.

I have a question for KaptinGT that involves dustin's and v10's info on the SE.

If it isn't a major SE (ie. Mach, Boss etc) then will it likely only be an appearance package? Bigger brakes? Suspension/Wheels? Scoop?

How about a power increase? Could this be the 295rwhp? (tuning)

I know you can't release info, but please classify if any of the above are correct and what we shouldn't expect (ie. hp increase)?

Thanks.
Dan
Old 5/28/04, 11:15 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I was thinking....do you think Ford will bring out the 18's, a shaker and bigger brakes in March. Is that a good way to intro. the 18's and a scoop? Call it a Shelby GT350 or something? Hummmmm.......
Old 5/29/04, 06:09 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Dan@May. 28th, 2004, 11:16 PM

If it isn't a major SE (ie. Mach, Boss etc) then will it likely only be an appearance package? Bigger brakes? Suspension/Wheels? Scoop?

How about a power increase? Could this be the 295rwhp? (tuning)
Maybe it will be the 41st anniversary edition.

But seriously, folks, thanks for the complement Dan.

As Dustin said, he would not reveal anything about the SE. He also made a couple statements that were conflicting. For example at one point he said that the 1st SE would get the 18" wheels, but later said that SVT had to get the 18"ers first before they could be used on any other Mustang.

I also got the feeling that the first SE in March would not have any more HP but again he was not clear on this. He told us many times that he was NOT a powertrain person so he really did NOT know the details about any upcoming engines. The ONLY thing he could tell us about future engines was that the original plan for the SVT Cobra was 400 HP normally aspirated, but when I pressed him on this he backed off and just said "That's the plan" but could not / would not say whether the 07 SVT would be N/A or have a S/C.

Same thing on the scoops. First he said the SE in March will have scoops / air dam, then backed off and said SVT has control of which cars get them.

If a SE was to get bigger brakes, it would have to have larger diameter wheels. The front brakes really fill up the 17" wheels. If you look at the photo it looks like there is less than 1/4" clearance between the front caliper and the wheel.

I heard a rumor that the next Lincoln LS would be based off the D2C platform and would get a 4.6L 3V that was tuned to run on 91 octane. This could bump up HP by 10 - 15 hp. If this LS rumor is true, then here is your higher HP engine for a SE. When he said "It is a very robust 300 HP" he also went on to say that the 300 HP # was decided on for many reasons, including insurance and to make sure that there wouldn't be any question that the engine puts out its rated HP. So it is possible that there is more HP to be had out of the 4.6L 3V. As I posted before he said that 400 HP was not possible for the 4.6L 3V and have it meet emissions and reliablilty regulations, but he kind of implied that there was a lot more than 300 HP available from future versions of the 4.6L-3V.
Old 5/29/04, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by V10@May. 29th, 2004, 8:12 AM
The front brakes really fill up the 17" wheels. If you look at the photo it looks like there is less than 1/4" clearance between the front caliper and the wheel.
Ditto on that

EXTREME CLOSE UP! 2100X1600
Old 5/29/04, 10:32 AM

Man I love those wheels more every time i look at them!
Old 5/29/04, 10:46 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
hold the phone..aren't special editions like the mach and bullitt under the juradiction of the mustang team and the Cobra is the only one SVT has control of?
Old 5/29/04, 10:48 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@May. 29th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Man I love those wheels more every time i look at them!
they are very nice
Old 5/29/04, 04:56 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by burningman@May. 29th, 2004, 10:49 AM
hold the phone..aren't special editions like the mach and bullitt under the juradiction of the mustang team and the Cobra is the only one SVT has control of?
This has been my understanding of how things worked, at least through the 2004 model year. I got the feeling that we were getting more information out of the Ford guy than we should have, so he sort of back tracked in a couple places.

In any case I got the distinct impression that SVT was going to do more than one model. I could have come away with the wrong impression, but he was being a little bit vague and confusing at times regarding this.
Old 5/30/04, 12:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

2 SE's..........you guys need to stop putting these thoughts in my head.

My version of Steve Martin's film "The Jerk":

All I need is a Mustang GT.....that's all I need.....with the security system.....but that's all I need......with interior upgrade....that's all I need....with some 18's......that's all I need is a GT with 18's the security system, and the interior upgrade.

And an aftermarket scoop.....that's all I need......or a Boss......or a Bullit........or Mach 1, but that's all I need.

Or a Cobra, but that's all I need......etc

I'm sure everybody is doing the same thing in their head also.
Old 5/30/04, 09:51 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Mestizo@May. 30th, 2004, 2:49 AM
2 SE's..........you guys need to stop putting these thoughts in my head.

My version of Steve Martin's film "The Jerk":

All I need is a Mustang GT.....that's all I need.....with the security system.....but that's all I need......with interior upgrade....that's all I need....with some 18's......that's all I need is a GT with 18's the security system, and the interior upgrade.

And an aftermarket scoop.....that's all I need......or a Boss......or a Bullit........or Mach 1, but that's all I need.

Or a Cobra, but that's all I need......etc

I'm sure everybody is doing the same thing in their head also.
Guilty as charged.
Old 5/30/04, 10:05 AM
Banned

Nope, not me. I have mine ordered and I don't want anything else.
Old 5/30/04, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't afford more than what I've decided to get...

GT, blackk exterior, black leather interior, aluminum upgrade, sec. system, and the Shaker 500
Old 5/30/04, 07:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Make sure you get the GT premium then...it includes the leather and Shaker
Old 5/30/04, 08:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by V10+May. 29th, 2004, 4:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (V10 @ May. 29th, 2004, 4:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-burningman@May. 29th, 2004, 10:49 AM
This has been my understanding of how things worked, at least through the 2004 model year. I got the feeling that we were getting more information out of the Ford guy than we should have, so he sort of back tracked in a couple places.

In any case I got the distinct impression that SVT was going to do more than one model. I could have come away with the wrong impression, but he was being a little bit vague and confusing at times regarding this. [/b][/quote]
It very well could be he just doesn't know as well. He probably wasn't being vague out of secrecy, but rather out of need. Speaking from experience, the people sent out to events like this usually know just enough to be dangerous, and still represent the product well.
Old 5/31/04, 06:33 AM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@May. 30th, 2004, 8:50 PM
It very well could be he just doesn't know as well. He probably wasn't being vague out of secrecy, but rather out of need. Speaking from experience, the people sent out to events like this usually know just enough to be dangerous, and still represent the product well.
The person @ Rodman Ford is the 2005 Mustang Engineering Manager for Exterior & Structure. He is very qualified and knowledgeable. Any question that we aked him, within his area of expertise, he knew inside and out. I was really surprised that Ford flew out a person of that caliber just to be at a dealer showing of the 05. (he was not part of the GAPDII or permanently assigned to the 40 city tour. Apparently his boss said "Mike, I want you out there face to face with Mustang customers). This says how important the 2005 Mustang is to Ford and how much they really want their engineers to be in touch with Mustang customers so they design and deliver the Mustang that most of us want.

On other topics, powertrain, SVT, etc. he flat out told us, "here is what I know and am able to tell you, but that's not my area of expertise so there are a lot of things I don't know."

My feeling is that he knows a lot more about the SE's than he was able to tell us. Someone else already said this: Yes he is working on a SE under a code name, but the engineers know whether it will be a Bullitt type model, a Mach 1 type model, a GT-350 type model or whatever it is. But he is correct in that marketing defines what sort of SE that they want and marketing also decides exactly what the name of the SE is going to be.
Old 5/31/04, 07:13 AM
V6 Member

I like to Thank V10 & Dustin for a excellent job you guys are doing covering the 05
Old 5/31/04, 07:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Great info guys!

Thanks for all the hardwork and remembering it all so well.

Quick Reply: I saw it, I sat in it, I reved the snot out of it