2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I just couldn't drive it in the winter

Search this Thread

Old 10/23/06, 01:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I considered a Civic Si, Focus ST, Corolla XRS, MazdaSpeed 3, MazdaSpeed 6, RX8, Solstice, Sky, Lotus Elise, Subaru WRX/STi, and a Jeep Wrangler before deciding to pursue a Mustang GT. Biggest factors that swayed my decision:

* Made by Ford (I know where to get parts cheap, I have FSMs, and I know what to expect)
* RWD w/ V8 engine and 5 speed manual
* Made by fellow Michiganders!!! Go Blue!!

While the Hemi sedans are fun to drive, none of them had a 5/6 speed manual transmission. The bulk of GM's cars are Wrong Wheel Drive (G6 has a 6-speed manual with a 240 hp V6, but it was WWD).

It's slim pickings out there for a decent performance car that doesn't cost a bundle. The Europeans have more choices but not necessarily at a decent price. E.g. Focus ST with a turbocharged I5 in the UK is about $32k USD. For $32k USD, you can buy a GT Coupe and load it down with mods to run circles around the UK Focus ST.
Old 10/23/06, 03:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Star
If you weren't looking for a truck, why didn't you go with SUV?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for Ridgeline?
My wife already has an SUV and I wanted something that I could use to haul home firewood and make runs to Home Depot with. This thing is as close to an SUV as you're going to get - it's a full 5 passenger double cab with a five foot bed in back.

I really did like the F-150s but they were a lot bigger than I needed, they were more $$$, and I was afraid of the gas mileage (my work commute alone is 300+ miles a week).

As for price, the Honda MSRP on the window for this '06 Ridgeline RTS was $30,625 and I paid $24,086 ($23,888+$198 doc fees) so it was a sweet deal that I just couldn't pass up. Of course I had to go through the whole "this deal is for today only, it's the last one, buy it now or it'll be gone" etc., etc., etc., but by that point I had already done all the comparison shopping so it was an easy sale. I bought it Sunday afternoon, paid the taxes separately, then they cleaned it, registered it, and delivered it to my house the next day.
Old 10/23/06, 04:16 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

You're happy with Ridgeline and that's what is important.

I would never pay $24,000 for a V6 truck than can tow only 5,000 pounds and have really small bed. I got my F-150 SuperCab 4x4 with 4.6L V8 for $21,000.
I like Ridgeline, but like I said, I would never pay that much for one.
Old 10/24/06, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

We have a Pilot and I think it's probably the best vehicle I've ever owned. No paint probs here. Very comfy ride and huge inside. I constatly find "little things" that I know were purposly designed in with thought to make things convinent and the V6 is no slouch.

I love my Mustang, but Honda does a **** good job designing cars.

I have a 01 Dakota for the nasty weather/Home Depot runs, but I just found a 00 Crown Vic PI fro my new beater....
Old 10/24/06, 05:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
the ridgeline are pretty good trucks from all that I am hearing about them. Good luck and enjoy it
Old 10/24/06, 07:29 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrkabc
I'd rather have my toenails torn out than buy a Honda. Just my $0.02. Enjoy your ride.
Without novacaine, then alcohol splashed on them afterwards
Old 10/24/06, 07:34 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're happy with Ridgeline and that's what is important.

I would never pay $24,000 for a V6 truck than can tow only 5,000 pounds and have really small bed. I got my F-150 SuperCab 4x4 with 4.6L V8 for $21,000.
I like Ridgeline, but like I said, I would never pay that much for one.
+1. I've always been a Ford fan. My wife, and her family, have always been fans of the Honda. To be honest, I never could see the appeal. Sure they have durable engines, or so they say, BUT that's it. Their body(so called sheet metel) blows. AND take a closer look at "their" undercarraige. It's a joke. All of their SUVs are designed like compact cars. Their axles look like broom sticks. Because of wife, we've owned four Hondas. We've had problems with all four of them! Maybe it's just bad luck, however, I'll NEVER own another...

I would like to comment on the paint and appearance of the new Mustangs. This is my 4th Stang. I am very impressed with the paint quality. Like most others, shorty after I drove it home, I washed and waxed it. I was amazed! Upon closer examination- NOT ONE SINGLE FLAW! PERFECT! Whatever they're doing up there a Flatrocks- keep up the good work.

I will not drive my Stang in the snow either. Didn't mean to bust on your ride. Although the Ridgeline is not a truck. It is better built than their other SUVs. I do like the "looks" as well. Good luck with it... Some advice, if this is your first 4X4, be careful. Inevitably after the first snowfall, you'll see all of the 1st time SUV and truck owners in the ditches. NOTHING handles well on ice. They may look like tanks, but they're not.
Old 10/24/06, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Even though I am a Ford fan and really wish you had gotten an F150 instead, congrats on the new truck. Hope you enjoy it.
Old 10/24/06, 08:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang

I would like to comment on the paint and appearance of the new Mustangs. This is my 4th Stang. I am very impressed with the paint quality. Like most others, shorty after I drove it home, I washed and waxed it. I was amazed! Upon closer examination- NOT ONE SINGLE FLAW! PERFECT! Whatever they're doing up there a Flatrocks- keep up the good work.

I will not drive my Stang in the snow either.
My parents had an '02 Accord and it blew a tranny at like 15k miles.. they also had a '98 accord w/ 30k miles which had a tranny jerk worse than an old Taurus with 120k miles.. Honda automatics are horrible in my opinion.. afterall my parents aren't exactly spirited drivers.. lol..

I've found one flaw on my '07 GT though which is starting to bother me more and more.. a slight panel misalignment in the rear where the passengers side rear 1/4 panel meets the bumper.. its just off by a little bit and its driving me nuts.. but then again i'm a perfectionist since this is my first NEW car.. i'm actually considering taking it in to see if they'll align it for me.. but then again it might come out worse than the way it was..
Old 10/24/06, 09:14 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07ShelbyWanter
My parents had an '02 Accord and it blew a tranny at like 15k miles.. they also had a '98 accord w/ 30k miles which had a tranny jerk worse than an old Taurus with 120k miles.. Honda automatics are horrible in my opinion.. afterall my parents aren't exactly spirited drivers.. lol..

I've found one flaw on my '07 GT though which is starting to bother me more and more.. a slight panel misalignment in the rear where the passengers side rear 1/4 panel meets the bumper.. its just off by a little bit and its driving me nuts.. but then again i'm a perfectionist since this is my first NEW car.. i'm actually considering taking it in to see if they'll align it for me.. but then again it might come out worse than the way it was..
Funny that you had mentioned that... panel that is.... Mine is the exact same way. Not much, maybe a 1/16" or so, but "there" nonetheless. I saw that some others on MSF have complained about the exact same thing. I'm not too concerned, no one else would even notice it, but like you, I'm a profectionist. I will not get it fixed. I know if I do, something else will be screwed-up in their attemps, i.e., rattles, scratches, etc. So, I'm leaving it alone.

Sorry to be getting off the topic again. I should have started a thread about paint, appearance, and finish. I think that I will...
Old 10/24/06, 10:32 AM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by 07ShelbyWanter
If they had problems on '98 Accord, why did they bought '02 Accord?
Old 10/24/06, 10:34 AM
Bullitt Member

If they had problems on '98 Accord, why did they bought '02 Accord?
cheap deal on a quick lease which was all warrantied. still says volumes about quality though. - i personally wouldn't have done it either.. but thats b/c i make sense.
Old 10/24/06, 10:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
I'd rather have my toenails torn out than buy a Honda. Just my $0.02. Enjoy your ride.
I agree. I think they look fugly. JMO
Old 10/24/06, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

The pony does not come out of the corral in rain or snow - black is tough enough to keep clean w/o the wx adding to that problem. I have a 92 Explorer Sport (217,000+) X that is the bad wx car, Home depot, take the lab for a ride car. I have a 2006 Escape Hybrid for the HOV lanes so I can get to work in DC. Try to drive all three each week depending on meetings, wx, lunchtime errands, etc..
Old 10/24/06, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
Funny that you had mentioned that... panel that is.... Mine is the exact same way. Not much, maybe a 1/16" or so, but "there" nonetheless. I saw that some others on MSF have complained about the exact same thing. I'm not too concerned, no one else would even notice it, but like you, I'm a profectionist. I will not get it fixed. I know if I do, something else will be screwed-up in their attemps, i.e., rattles, scratches, etc. So, I'm leaving it alone.

Sorry to be getting off the topic again. I should have started a thread about paint, appearance, and finish. I think that I will...
I got it too...