2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have an issue!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 8/11/07, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation I have an issue!?!?

Not sure were this should go but here it is none the less.
I have the anthracite deep dish bullitts 18x9 all around on my 05 stang and recently on the front left rim the sticky weights just fell off. I was like no problem it has happend before and I just took my stang back to my tire dealership and they replaced it FREE with no problems at all. ( Left rear sticky weight also came off)

WELL upon further review today while at a car show I was cleaning my rims and noticed on the rim where the old sticky weight was they must have used some kinda of abbrasive cleaner which took the paint off my rim in an area of about 3 silver dollars leaving this big white area that is pretty noticeable. (if it wasnt so late out I would take a pic of it so you guys could see)
So now I guess I am left to call the tire place up on Monday and hopefully they will be able to replace my rim otherwise I am left to have to buy another FREAKIN rim...at 145.00 from American Muscle.
Old 8/11/07, 10:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mustangshadow
Not sure were this should go but here it is none the less.
I have the anthracite deep dish bullitts 18x9 all around on my 05 stang and recently on the front left rim the sticky weights just fell off. I was like no problem it has happend before and I just took my stang back to my tire dealership and they replaced it FREE with no problems at all. ( Left rear sticky weight also came off)

WELL upon further review today while at a car show I was cleaning my rims and noticed on the rim where the old sticky weight was they must have used some kinda of abbrasive cleaner which took the paint off my rim in an area of about 3 silver dollars leaving this big white area that is pretty noticeable. (if it wasnt so late out I would take a pic of it so you guys could see)
So now I guess I am left to call the tire place up on Monday and hopefully they will be able to replace my rim otherwise I am left to have to buy another FREAKIN rim...at 145.00 from American Muscle.
Dont know what would have cause the paint to peel off, but let me say this, American Muscle has some great customer service. I had to call them earlier today about a problem with one of my chrome bullits and they gave me no problems at all and told me that would replace it. Nice people to deal with!
Old 8/12/07, 01:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

yeah if they did not use any chemicals to clean the rim then it is a factory defect and AM should replace it
Old 8/12/07, 07:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Well about all of my rims have clear coat peeling off. I'm pretty ****ed.
Old 8/13/07, 08:16 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Do keep us updated, they must have used some sort of chemical, and its really weird that they were coming off to begin with.
Old 8/14/07, 08:43 PM

allright here is the update
I went into the tire dealership on Monday and showed them my rim and of course they said they didnt do it (BIG SURPRISE) So I then told them that I will never be back blah blah blah....
So now I called American Muscle and told them what had happend and how the paint just came right off with whatever solvent they used to clean my rim to put the sticky weight on. They said that it didnt fall under a warrenty issue so .... at any rate I told them that no matter what I have to buy a new rim because there is no way I can handle going to car shows ect. with that big white spot on my rim.
So they did give me a discount on a single rim which I thought was pretty cool of them.
So hopefully by next week I will have this issue resolved the bad part is it COST me a whole new FREAKIN rim.
I could had spent that money on a mod that I wanted to get instead of having to get.
Old 8/15/07, 10:53 AM
Big Falken Tires

Perry - did you get any pics of the damaged area?
Old 8/15/07, 03:35 PM
Cobra Member

That was a wheel issue, not the shop's issue. The paint should not come off the wheel no matter the solvent or abrasive pad that might have been used. The adhesive on the wheel weights isn't that tough to remove. Why didn't you just touch it up? It was on the back of the wheel right? You'd never notice it was touched up.
Old 8/15/07, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Burke0011
Perry - did you get any pics of the damaged area?
No not yet I have been pretty busy
But I will so you can see it

Originally Posted by RobK
That was a wheel issue, not the shop's issue. The paint should not come off the wheel no matter the solvent or abrasive pad that might have been used. The adhesive on the wheel weights isn't that tough to remove. Why didn't you just touch it up? It was on the back of the wheel right? You'd never notice it was touched up.
I assure you this was some type of chemical they used you can tell by the way the marks are on the rim. You can see the actual rub marks by the Tire dealership where it just took the clear coat and paint right off the rim. We tried to tell them that maybe they had something else in the rag they used to take off the adhesive but that didnt get us anywhere.
Trust me if I could touch it up I would but it is like I said about the size of 3 silver dollars. Also it is in a spot that if I was parked at a show and someone walked by you would just see this big white unpainted spot on my rim. Everyone that knows me knows that I cant handle a spot like that.
Old 8/15/07, 08:33 PM
Big Falken Tires

No not yet I have been pretty busy
But I will so you can see it

I assure you this was some type of chemical they used you can tell by the way the marks are on the rim. You can see the actual rub marks by the Tire dealership where it just took the clear coat and paint right off the rim. We tried to tell them that maybe they had something else in the rag they used to take off the adhesive but that didnt get us anywhere.
Trust me if I could touch it up I would but it is like I said about the size of 3 silver dollars. Also it is in a spot that if I was parked at a show and someone walked by you would just see this big white unpainted spot on my rim. Everyone that knows me knows that I cant handle a spot like that.

dude that is messed up - and the dealership wouldn't fess up to that?

Well at least you will have it locked down by the 9-11 cruise (which I am STOKED for bro - I am taking that whole friday 7th off so you and Jackie come down whenever! and bring your car cover too)
Old 8/15/07, 08:37 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Man, that sucks, but atleast they let you get a slight deal off
Old 8/15/07, 09:04 PM

dude that is messed up - and the dealership wouldn't fess up to that?

Well at least you will have it locked down by the 9-11 cruise (which I am STOKED for bro - I am taking that whole friday 7th off so you and Jackie come down whenever! and bring your car cover too)
Deffinately looking forward to it. Thats cool that you took the whole day off. We will have to get there earlier so we can make a sweet stang weekend of it.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
Man, that sucks, but atleast they let you get a slight deal off
Yeah at least they gave me a discount on the new rim and I have allready set up another Tire dealership (one that I trust) and I told them the ordeal and they said that if I get the rim they would put my tire on it and balance it for free so I guess thats a plus
Old 8/16/07, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Here are some pics. Sux bad, can't believe they ruined the rim, then acted stupid about it.

Old 8/16/07, 06:57 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OMG!! Happened to me on a Steeda UltraLite, off my 99GT. It's now one of the fanciest Garden Hose Reels out there.
Old 8/16/07, 07:36 PM
Big Falken Tires

DUDE - WTF

that is crazy
this isn't the same dealership you got the supercharger, hood scoop and spoiler done at is it???

Well at least you will have it taken care of before the cruise - and yeah, Dave can't make it till late afternoon/evening so you guys should come down early so we can use the whole day and hang out

Figure if you leave by 7:00am you can make it down to me by 11:00
Old 8/16/07, 07:45 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
at least is is inside, and it could be repainted without notice right, I know except that you would know that it was there, at least it ain't cracked or bent up ! see there is a bright side but they should take responsibility if it happened then.
Old 8/16/07, 07:57 PM
Bullitt Member

DUDE - WTF

that is crazy
this isn't the same dealership you got the supercharger, hood scoop and spoiler done at is it???

Well at least you will have it taken care of before the cruise - and yeah, Dave can't make it till late afternoon/evening so you guys should come down early so we can use the whole day and hang out

Figure if you leave by 7:00am you can make it down to me by 11:00
Sweet, sounds good We can't wait to hang out with ya!

It was not our good Ford "dealership" (thank goodness), but it was "Georges Wholesale Tire" in Beverly Hills.

The one in Spring Hill is the good one (very Stang friendly) the owners of that one always have thier Stangs parked outside. They are very good there. The one in Beverly Hills was closer, so thats why we went there to get the sticky weights put back on............big mistake
Old 8/16/07, 09:38 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would of just touched it up with some spray paint
Old 8/17/07, 11:12 AM

Trust me if I could have delt with just touching it up with some spray paint I would have.
But like I said earlier I would have always known it was there and it would have bothered me everytime I took the car out.
People that know me know that I couldnt just touch it up.
Old 8/17/07, 11:19 AM
Big Falken Tires

Trust me if I could have delt with just touching it up with some spray paint I would have.
But like I said earlier I would have always known it was there and it would have bothered me everytime I took the car out.
People that know me know that I couldnt just touch it up.
C'mon Perry - don't you know that you can go to Auto Zone and get a can of spray paint that exactly matches the anthracite color of your aftermarket wheels?