2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

I don't get why people do mods!

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/05, 03:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is going to ruin the car buying doing modifications to it?

Initially before getting my GT I was thinking of all the minor mods I could make to the interior. After getting it, I definately will make no modifications.

I've never thought about modifying the exterior or the engine/exhaust. I don't get why anyone would want to change the car.

Why buy it if you don't like it the way it is. To me your ruining what's going to be a classic.

What's everyone take on this? It seems like most people on here want to modify it.

Why?
Old 4/5/05, 03:12 PM
Bullitt Member

You need to define modify. Does tint count as a mod?
Old 4/5/05, 03:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Making the car unique will not ruin it. Unless your definition of unique includes a parkbench sitting on the trunk held down by deck screws and a huge TypeR decal on every body panel.
Old 4/5/05, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Tyson@April 5, 2005, 3:13 PM
Who is going to ruin the car buying doing modifications to it?

Initially before getting my GT I was thinking of all the minor mods I could make to the interior. After getting it, I definately will make no modifications.

I've never thought about modifying the exterior or the engine/exhaust. I don't get why anyone would want to change the car.

Why buy it if you don't like it the way it is. To me your ruining what's going to be a classic.

What's everyone take on this? It seems like most people on here want to modify it.

Why?
because we know how and enjoy it, if you think your car is going to be a classic anytime soon, you're crazy...give it about 25 years, and by that time, no one will want it b/c we will probably all be out of gas....enjoy it while you can, instead of treating it like an investment, there are plenty of classic mustangs around here going anywhere from $2000 +
If you are planning on driving your new 05 investment, you probably won't ever get what you are paying for it again....unless you sink twice the money into it restoring it 25 years from now, and sell it for what you have in it, but probably not, probably less than the $50,000 + you have in it.
GT Member

Tint counts as a modification to the car...any thing added or taken away is a mod.
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Well . . .on a larger scale . .why do people paint rooms of their homes/apartments a certain color, landscape their yard, or on a smaller scale wear different clothes. Why is their an IUP option, different wheels, etc. It's all about choice and personal taste, in my opinion.

Times have changed since Mr. Ford stated, "You can have any color you want . . . as long as it's black!"
Old 4/5/05, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with Nicole. There are many so called "mods" that you may think are lame but others would feel like are vital.

For me, I want my car to be mine personally. I like doing little cosmetic things to make it unique. I know nobody is going to care when I park it at Safeway that it has a few little goodies added, but so what? I know they are there and I like it. It's about what makes you happy.
Old 4/5/05, 03:19 PM
GT Member

You're right the car won't even be considered a classic for AT LEAST 25 years.

But modifying it serves no purpose...if you don't like the car to begin with why waste the money buying it plus the money to modify it. Why can't people just enjoy the car the way it is?
Old 4/5/05, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Tyson@April 5, 2005, 3:22 PM
You're right the car won't even be considered a classic for AT LEAST 25 years.

But modifying it serves no purpose...if you don't like the car to begin with why waste the money buying it plus the money to modify it. Why can't people just enjoy the car the way it is?
Sure it serves a purpose. It makes the car MINE. It makes my car different from YOURS. I feel a car is a direct extension of a person. It says a lot about who you are.
Old 4/5/05, 03:22 PM
GT Member

I respect everyones choice to make the mods, it's their car..change it how you want. I just don't see the need to make changes, I think the car is great the way it is. Just my opinion.
Old 4/5/05, 03:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by jwede@April 5, 2005, 4:24 PM
Sure it serves a purpose. It makes the car MINE. It makes my car different from YOURS. I feel a car is a direct extension of a person. It says a lot about who you are.
My thoughts exactly.
Could you imagine the world if everyone looked the same? :scratch:
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope you've got your flame shield out. Ruin a car by modding it? Ruin a car by tinting the windows??? My car must be completely ruined .
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those that have the want for more than 300HP and 5.3-ish times, that's more than enough reason to mod.

I plan on tinting mine to help keep it cooler...and it looks cooler, too IMO. If you're 100% satisfied "as is", more power to you.

Evil_Capri has a great point on the need for "mods."
GT Member

I had some dealer aftermarket interior mods and IMO its an improvement from the factory look but I probably would not have done it myself. The stock car is nice the way it is but certain cars are more prone to be modified and the mustang is one of them. At least if you personalize it with some things it doesn't look exactly like the mustang sittin next to yours.
Old 4/5/05, 03:26 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

The answer comes in two parts; the first is the car is almost perfect unfortunately the maufactuers can not create the ideal perfect car to market for two reasons. It would suddenly cost the amount a Ferrarri does, and second Ford needs to cater to the larger market which are not car enthusiasts. They market to the average person that thinks a car is just to get you from point A to point B and happen to buy the stang because they like the way it looks. So, they leave it a little on the wusie end so that these people dont end up flying off the road because they cant handle their car. Like a lot of Ferrarri and Lambo owners do, and to not scare them away by keeping the price resonable instead of jacking up the cost with a higher performance model. That is why they come out with the Cobra, however this can easily be seen in the fact that it doesnt come as a 2 seater and why not it is a sports car, especially the Cobra. Why not make it a two seater like the vette, its because the people that buy it are going to want the back seats for some reason or another or else they would have gone and bought a Z06. I know there are some flaws in this reasoning but bare with me I dont want to type for pages and just trying to make it simple.

The second is probably the most important reason to modify the car, individuality. This is what America is built upon and thrives upon the fact that everyone is different and likes different things. The car companies can not build a car that everyone likes, although they got pretty darn close with this one. This can be seen in your very own question, you like it the way it is, I think it could be better. I bought it because I love stangs and I think it is the best base platform to start from. For very little money (in comparison) I can make this thing as fast as most 80-90000 dollar cars. And as far as looks I want it to be something that no one else has. To create a classic of my own, just look to the cars of yesteryear to see proof of this. There are two schools of though on this restore back to original or make it custom, both are very nice and when done right, the custom work can in time become a classic look all of its own and demand the same dollar amount as an origianl car. The choice is yours, but I dont know if this specific stang will become a priceless classsic that will be hard to find 20 years from now. They just increased the number they are making and will be the largest production year ever, and rariety is one of the factors in determine value. So for the time being I am shooting for having a car that will still turn heads at a light sitting next to 5 other 2005 GTs.

EDIT: Sorry, I HAD to put some punctuation in that! I think you had too much coffee today dude! Love ya!
Old 4/5/05, 03:27 PM
Cobra Member

does adding stripes, changing out the grill, putting a new stars and stripes pony emblem, billet *****, changing the speakers, adding spoiler, tri-bar spinner for wheels count as mods if not then yeah I am with you why mod a perfectly nice blank canvis??
Old 4/5/05, 03:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

One of the lamest things I've seen on these forums was a post about removing the airbag stickers from the visors. Someone said "if you do that you will lose points at a concourse show someday". I'm sorry, but I thought that was totally lame. I bought this car to have fun with and make my own, I don't think I'm gonna worry about some distant car show in 25 years or so.

Have fun and enjoy your stock car, and let us have fun adding to ours!
Old 4/5/05, 03:30 PM
Queen Of Nascar

I think about how many Mustangs are on the road. I want mine to look different than the 50 million others out there.
GT Member

Why?

A. Many of the aftermarket parts provide superior performance to the OEM parts.
B. To some people's tastes, the aftermarket parts enhance the appearance of the car.
People like to express themselves through their cars, motorcycles, guitars, etc.
Just as you add salt to your food to add taste, people add aftermarket parts to suit their "taste". One size does not fit all.
C. Why not?

Also, I have Legend Lime Mustang and some people have said to me, "why did you get such an ugly color? You should have stayed with a classic like black." At one time all you could get was black and it is the need to be different that drove the manufacturers to offer "ugly", "non-classic"colors like Legend Lime.
GT Member

*laughs*...I can't tell some of your guys are taking things personally...Didn't mean to offend anyone...just stating my opinion. All of you have alot of good points.

Quick Reply: I don't get why people do mods!