2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable, turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 8/22/19, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took it to the dealer to turn off daytime running lights and they said they tried but my vehicle can not turn them off.
Old 12/28/19, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can understand the need for DRL's but I would rather have HALO's light up during the day. How are they wired anyway?
Old 1/2/20, 07:23 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
I bypassed my DRL and used HALO's instead. You will have to transfer the power from the DRL to the HALO's.
I used 2 relay switches and a resistor.
Old 1/2/20, 08:55 AM
GT Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
I just wired my halo's into the cabin fuse box with an add a circuit. Found a spot that had power only when the key was in the on position and ran a wire to the engine compartment. The parking lights are on in this picture but they do not need to be. I am now thinking about installing Diode Dynamics switch back halos. They flash amber when the turn signal is activated.
https://www.diodedynamics.com/hd-led...-fog-pair.html

Old 6/18/20, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the subject is turning them off. I want to find that out too but instead of the headlights coming on (DRL's) I want to have halos come on instead and have them go off when the headlights are turned on. And no I don't have fog lights
Old 7/22/22, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bringing US Mustang to Canada

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Here in Canada, they are on by law.
My Mustang had to get them changed before i could get my car from California.
Some you can shut off when you're in Park,
mine you can't; the engine has to be off.

I am moving back to BC Canada from the US with my US mustang. I have to have my DRL turn on when the lights are set to off and the car is started. Right now, with the current factory US settings , the daytime running lights only come on when the car is put into gear. What was your solution to this problem?
Old 7/22/22, 07:32 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,538 Likes on 1,873 Posts
Originally Posted by SDMustang
I am moving back to BC Canada from the US with my US mustang. I have to have my DRL turn on when the lights are set to off and the car is started. Right now, with the current factory US settings , the daytime running lights only come on when the car is put into gear. What was your solution to this problem?
You May want to Call a Large Canadian Ford Dealership Service Department as I suspect they run into this more often with people Coming Into Canada. I had DRL Enabled on my 06 Crown Vic and They Come On When Car is Put in Gear as Well. I can't believe it can't be solved by Programming as Ford Sells a Lot of Mustangs in Canada. It's an Interesting Question and if I was still working at the Dealership I would have one of my techs Contact Tech Support at Ford using your Vin and see what they say.

A quick Check of A Ford Parts Database shows me Only two Different SJB'S for the 05 Mustang One Coupe and One Vert. Assuming you have an 05-09 I realize you did not say what year you had but Topic was for those Years, So I suspect Programming is Doable. I Also cross checked Database and it Showed the KPH Clusters for Canada so Canadian parts are Listed in Database Used!

Another Idea is Do a Post {Drl Help from CANADIAN {Year Model} Mustang Owners} and ask Exactly how their DRL'S Function on Their Mustangs. That is the In gear vs The Ignition on. I know we did have some Canadian Members here back in the Day! Just a thought!

Pulled This out of Owners Manual does not mention gear selection though

Daytime running lamps (DRL) (if equipped) Turns the headlamps on with a reduced output. When activated, the DRL telltale is illuminated. To activate: • the ignition must be in the ON position, • the headlamp control is in the OFF or parking lamp position and • the parking brake must be disengaged.
Always remember to turn on your headlamps at dusk or during inclement weather. The Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) system does not activate the tail lamps and generally may not provide adequate lighting during these conditions. Failure to activate your headlamps under these conditions may result in a collision

Good Luck

Kc

Last edited by 05stangkc; 7/22/22 at 08:19 PM.
Old 7/23/22, 02:28 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by Gravydog316
Here in Canada, they are on by law.
My Mustang had to get them changed before i could get my car from California.
Some you can shut off when you're in Park,
mine you can't; the engine has to be off.
Originally Posted by SDMustang
Consider yourself fortunate that 05stangkc came across your post and addressed your question, as the person in question you were expecting to provide a response is no longer an active member of this forum... Meanwhile, welcome aboard!