2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable, turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRL)

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/07, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another option for this would be to take a look at TacoBills link to a DRL install using the Ford module. They did the wiring so that instead of turning on the headlights when the car started, the fog lights turned on.
Old 4/23/07, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowtown
I have to say i don't know what the big deal is about disabling DRL. I mean the strain they put on your headlamps isn't all that much, and I don't know, I'd rather be safe than preserve my headlight changes another 6 months.

It's probably all in the marketing. If Steeda or Saleen offered DRL, at twice the price, some would want it.
Old 4/23/07, 07:42 PM
GT Member

Note to self…when I pick up the GT next month make sure the DRLs are disabled. Why you ask, I like to live dangerously.
Old 4/23/07, 08:14 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tampa07GTCS
With most car companies " All European and Asian manufactures...DRL are a "Feature" they brag about....and you are trying to get rid of them? I would switch out my SJB box for yours if I knew what it was. Down here in Florida we get a lot of random rain showers and fog.... Its nice when you dont have to turn on your lights just for a stupid 2minute shower!!!
Hey, I've got something for you to check out. There's a company -webelectronics - I think - that has module that you can use to turn your front parking lamps into DRL's. Turns both turn signal bulbs (not the marker bulbs) on when the car is running. I think that's the preferred way to go - IMO.
Old 4/24/07, 06:55 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
Hey, I've got something for you to check out. There's a company -webelectronics - I think - that has module that you can use to turn your front parking lamps into DRL's. Turns both turn signal bulbs (not the marker bulbs) on when the car is running. I think that's the preferred way to go - IMO.
I have that module and love it. Actually, I have several products from webelectrics. WebElectrics ROCKS !!
Old 4/24/07, 03:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I run with my lights on just about all the time normally. Wouldn't want DRL though.
Old 3/3/17, 08:32 PM
XL7

>> Finally just this month (April 2007) we got the dealer to call FORD tech support and got them to turn off the DRLs. Dealers are not too swift on how to turn them off around here. <<

I had my Smart (Dumb) Junction Box changed in my 2005 Mustang. I noticed this UNAUTHORIZED modification before I left the dealership. I drove back in and pointed it out, and that I needed to have control of MY lights.

I was told "no problem" they plugged the computer into the car and 3 minutes later my lights were working as they originally were. No more 'Forced Lighting' (a.k.a. Daytime Running Lights the driver cannot turn off.)

General Motors has petitioned the government on two separate occasions to mandate Forced Lighting (aka DRLs) in the US. In both instances, the government turned General Motors down citing NO safety evidence. Far from being considered a 'safety feature', manufacturers and the motoring press are treating DRLs as a 'stylish addition' to a car, concentrating on the look of DRLs as adding character to a car rather than contributing to its safety.

A British study said that statistics about DRLs from eight European countries over a 15-year period show that road fatality rates dropped faster in non-DRL countries such as Austria, Belgium and the Netherlands than fatalities in pro-DRL countries such as Finland, Norway and Sweden. Indeed, Austria has gone as far as to BAN Daytime Running Lights.

Toyota has chosen the proper approach. ALL 2017 Toyota's have "DRL OFF" on the light switch. If you want to drive with lights on during the daytime, you can, if you don't want to, you can turn them off. Makes everyone happy. These are true, Daytime Running Lights. What Ford now has, and some others have, is actually called, ‘Forced Lighting’. With Forced Lighting, the driver has NO control, and is at the total mercy of the junior programmers in Detroit or Japan.

There are many instances where you don't want your lights on, Drive-In movies, waiting outside at night for someone etc. You will notice most law enforcement vehicles have their daytime running lights disabled.

You need to find a dealer that knows how to program a SJB. Most are just too lazy, but it can be done.
Old 3/4/17, 12:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
I don't understand the complaint that "my car doesn't look good with DRL's on." I don't even know what my DRL's look like, cuz when they're on, I can't see them.
Old 3/4/17, 06:33 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,964 Likes on 1,589 Posts
Which is obviously the reason why the DRL function cannot be disabled in the first place.. As the DRL function is programmed in the ECU/SJB that way so that it cannot be disabled..

However here in the U.S, the DRL function is not mandatory under law as it is in Canada, at least not just yet anyhow.. Therefore up to this point, there really hasn't been a reason nor purpose behind preventing the driver from either turning off or disabling the DRL function if and whenever they choose it's necessary

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/4/17 at 09:29 PM.
Old 3/5/17, 07:23 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Sytrus
Another option for this would be to take a look at TacoBills link to a DRL install using the Ford module. They did the wiring so that instead of turning on the headlights when the car started, the fog lights turned on.
Or you can check out how i did it first.
Old 3/5/17, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
They probably are just making them all the same just because it's easier & cheaper...
& you know how governments are...
You don't choose what's necessary...
our governments do...
usually because of stupid people being stupid
Once again, the DRL laws apply in Canada.. Not in the U.S !
Old 3/5/17, 08:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You can turn them off with Forscan. Check this link:
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.p...e+codes#p13010

Download Forscan 2.3.7, get the free two month extended licence for it. Get a good blue tooth obd11 reader. Put Forscan on a laptop and read all about Forscan and programming. You will be able to go to the Instrument cluster module (ICM).
The line reads 720-01-01 Xxxx xxxx xxxx. Whatever number is in the Capital X spot, change that to a zero. Leave all the other values in the small x spots the same as they are. Hit write, it will tell you to cycle keys off and on (not start) and viola, your DRLs will go off. Did that here in Canada and wired a 4 wire relay to make my Fog lamps as DRL to stay legal. What I wanted to do for a long time. Works slick as a whistle.

Here is where the author of the first link above helped me with this.
http://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.p...tang+drl#p9806

Last edited by lenko; 3/5/17 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added parentethesis er (brackets)
Old 3/5/17, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Azpete on this link posted how to wire up fog lamps as DRL. Post 12 page two:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...ng-lights.html
Old 3/6/17, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
*Not YET in the US...
Well here's what really doesn't make any sense at all.. Here in PA and also several other states where it used to be illegal to be on a motorcycle without a helmet was repealed and since then, motorcyclists are no longer required under the law to wear helmets.. However when it comes to being inside of a closed vehicle, it's considered a mandatory requirement under the law to wear seat belts..

The way I see it is.. If it's legal for motorcyclists to not wear helmets, it should also be legal for motorists to not wear seat belts as well if they choose not to wear them.. That being said, the odds of surviving a crash inside a closed vehicle far outweigh the odds being on a motorcycle with no protection at all
Old 2/19/19, 03:11 PM

I bought a used 2006 mustang it turns out it used to be a fleet vehicle. Can it be reprogrammed to turn off daytime running lights and fix the way the key fob locks and honks? Or will I need new components for that?
Old 2/21/19, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
A Ford dealer should be able to re-program it for you to shut of the DRLs. The "lock and honk" is normal with two presses of the lock button.
Old 2/21/19, 02:29 PM

Thanks I asked two dealers first said no would need new computer, second said he could try with no promise he could do it.
Old 2/23/19, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Diesel12
Thanks I asked two dealers first said no would need new computer, second said he could try with no promise he could do it.
I would recommend speaking with the dealerships service managers if you haven't already done so. If that doesn't work out? then look into contacting Ford corporate and request to speak to someone in customer service. The customer service dept should point you in the right direction and if necessary, they'll contact the dealerships service manager on your behalf.
Old 2/25/19, 03:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts
Also I wonder. . . do your doors have bump strips on them? Might have once been a rental. . .
Old 8/18/19, 06:00 AM

My car does have door bump strips. The key fob lock is working like this, one click locks no horn or light flash, two clicks two horn chirps no light flash.

Quick Reply: How to disable, turn off Daytime Running Lights (DRL)