2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Hooked Up With A Cobra, Fun

Search this Thread

Old 12/2/04, 11:15 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, wonderful discussion! I'm glad there are a few of you out there like me, who care more about the twisties than the quarter.
Old 12/3/04, 12:38 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally posted by sqweak@December 3, 2004, 1:18 AM
yes, wonderful discussion! I'm glad there are a few of you out there like me, who care more about the twisties than the quarter.

I'm a big drag racer at heart and love straight line performance, but Sendero and I (and some other friends) have made multiple trips to North Carolina to run the Tail Of The Dragon. 11miles, 318curves (lots of 90*, lots of switchbacks). I've gotten the corner carver bug, but cant bring myself to go hardcore into it yet.
Old 12/3/04, 12:58 AM

Have you tried auto-cross? I did for the first time this past summer and it was much better than I expected. My cousin that does a lot of road racing(98 Cobra) came with me. He drove his SVT Focus and I let him take me around in my car after I made my 3 laps. He really liked it, especially in my car. After his lap in my car, he told me he made half the turns with the throttle. Not the fast way around but a lot of fun. I'll definitely try the 05 at the auto cross and take it to CMP(Carolina Motorsport Park) after I upgrade the brakes and tires.
Old 12/3/04, 05:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Scothew+December 3, 2004, 1:41 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scothew @ December 3, 2004, 1:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sqweak@December 3, 2004, 1:18 AM

I'm a big drag racer at heart and love straight line performance, but Sendero and I (and some other friends) have made multiple trips to North Carolina to run the Tail Of The Dragon. 11miles, 318curves (lots of 90*, lots of switchbacks). I've gotten the corner carver bug, but cant bring myself to go hardcore into it yet. [/b][/quote]
Scott

The "Tail of the Dragon" looks great. What is the lap record?

That road would make a good hill climb event. Locals should hook up with the SCCA regional club to see if it could be done.
Old 12/3/04, 01:28 PM
GT Member

tail of the dragon is epic. Around here, I spend my time on mulholland drive in the hollywood hills. for those of you not familiar with the area, mulholland is a beautifuly twisty canyon road on the top of the santa monica mountains seperating LA on one side and "The Valley" on the other. can't beat twisties with a view!
Old 12/3/04, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

The mags said the 03/04 Cobras were second only to the 2000 Cobra R and the 05 comes in a close third, so I really dont think the gap between the 03/04 Cobra and the 05 is as far as you may want to think. If you can get a good supercharger with and additional 100 HP for the 05 GT going by the dyno testing you are looking at a car with over 400 horsepower just like the Cobra with a better platform. I am not knocking the Cobras but technology has improved with our new pony and someone will be building a 05 GT that will be taking out a few Cobras.
Old 12/3/04, 02:37 PM
Cobra Member

I'm gonna add an assinine comment.... from the peanut gallery.

the 6-speed isn't going to offer any advantage.... gear 6 is just another OD... the bottom 5 gears are relatievely the same.

...now back to your regularly scheduled program, already in progress...
Old 12/3/04, 10:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by clintoris@December 3, 2004, 1:40 PM
the 6-speed isn't going to offer any advantage.... gear 6 is just another OD... the bottom 5 gears are relatievely the same.
The bottom four gears are similar on the T-56, the extra gear is 5th (0.80). 6th gear is only slightly taller than 5th on a 5-speed.

As for handling, the Cobra may not be the end-all greatest Mustang ever, but it still handles quite well. At best you have a neck-and-neck situation with the new GT (assuming no throttle, all cornering). And I guarantee that 99% of all the drivers on the road (of *either* car) are only capable of driving their car to 50-75% of its limits, there is a huge amount of room for skill to play a part. So if you out-corner a Cobra in your GT, what you really beat was the driver, not the car. And the same is true from the Cobra's perspective. I admit wholeheartedly that I run out of ***** in the twisties well before the car does. I just can't handle going that fast around corners that I cannot see around, even though the Cobra will happily do it.

Dave
Old 12/4/04, 04:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Sorry but let's not get a head of ourselves, if it it was a '99 or '01 nice runs, but if it was an '03 or '04 I call the biggest BS flag. Just being realistic. Be careful out there on the streets...
Old 12/4/04, 06:33 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by t69r00p69@December 4, 2004, 5:30 AM
Sorry but let's not get a head of ourselves, if it it was a '99 or '01 nice runs, but if it was an '03 or '04 I call the biggest BS flag. Just being realistic. Be careful out there on the streets...
Believe what you want. I have better things to do with my time then to start a BS thread.

You make a statement with no back up of any facts as far as either cars capabilities. We all know the Cobra is faster in the straight line & that was stated 2 pages back.

As far as handling, any capable driver of an S197 will beat or pace any Cobra on any twisty road any time. Don't like it, too bad.
Old 12/4/04, 07:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I raced an '05 at IRP on their ORC a few months back. The '05 kept up with my '99 pretty good, but I was able to pass it each time. They handle very well, but there is no way --driver for driver -- will it hang with an s/c'd Snake.

Not calling BS .... Sounds like you had fun ... please just keep the racing of public streets.
The '05

Me .. first red Snake .. you can see the '05 coming up behind me on the right being driven by one of the instructors.
Old 12/4/04, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

They're both mustangs and very nice handling cars. Let's just have fun with them!
Old 12/4/04, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

snkbtn99

Thanks for your post.

Was it the instructors car you ran against?

I have always liked being the underdog in situations like this. You drive better & you dig deeper to see if you have what it takes to run with a perceived faster car.

That being said, & if you look at previous post. Once the S197 has upgraded wheels & tires, some mods, I don't think the cobra has a chance.

Put the Whipple kit on it & it will be embarrassing for the Cobra.

PS Does your car have any engine or suspension mods? Track tires?
Old 12/4/04, 09:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS+December 4, 2004, 7:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PONY XPRESS @ December 4, 2004, 7:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-t69r00p69@December 4, 2004, 5:30 AM
You make a statement with no back up of any facts as far as either cars capabilities. We all know the Cobra is faster in the straight line & that was stated 2 pages back.

As far as handling, any capable driver of an S197 will beat or pace any Cobra on any twisty road any time. Don't like it, too bad. [/b][/quote]
I made a statement w/ no facts? Fact is the '03 Cobra will eat the S197, if you are saying otherwise you are full of it. I know plenty well of any Mustangs capabilities believe me, especially the late models. However, I did say if it was a '99 or '01 that I didn't find it too hard to believe.
Old 12/4/04, 09:45 AM

Not trying to upset anyone, but anyone who said a 03/04 cobra would take an 05 in strait line acceleration……………….. is correct!

If you kept up with a cobra on the highway that's awesome, but based on the facts while your auto instantly puts you in a pretty good power making RPM, the cobra guy prob didn't even bother downshifting. Lets be honest, a 2005 auto mustang GT puts down maybe 280RWHP stock at best, an 03 cobra in some cases puts down over 100RWHP more, lets get real here guys. And it's not like the weight difference is huge either.
Old 12/4/04, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@December 4, 2004, 7:02 AM
That being said, & if you look at previous post. Once the S197 has upgraded wheels & tires, some mods, I don't think the cobra has a chance.

Put the Whipple kit on it & it will be embarrassing for the Cobra.
You didn't think that one through. Or maybe you did...

Put some mods on the GT. Now it handles better than the Cobra. Alright, lets be fair, put some mods on the Cobra -- coilovers & subframes. Now the Cobra handles better than the GT again.

And put the whipple on the GT. That should give it about 400 rwhp with a good tune, which means it should be a good race with a stock Cobra. But again, lets be fair, put some mods on the Cobra -- filter, 2.76 pulley, idler, and a tune. Now the Cobra is 475 rwhp and 500 rwtq. Cobra wins again.

Any car can be made to corner very well, or accelerate very fast. It's all about how deep your pockets are. As good as the new GT is, it simply cannot be made the equal of an 03/04 Cobra without investing a lot more money than the difference between the cost of the two cars. Ford has the benefit of economy of scale, and its impossible to keep up when you pay aftermarket prices.

So drive what you want, because you have no control of what other people drive and you will always find someone faster. Maybe even a Honda Civic .

Dave
Old 12/4/04, 10:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by t69r00p69+December 4, 2004, 10:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (t69r00p69 @ December 4, 2004, 10:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by PONY XPRESS@December 4, 2004, 7:36 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-t69r00p69
@December 4, 2004, 5:30 AM

As far as handling, any capable driver of an S197 will beat or pace any Cobra on any twisty road any time. Don't like it, too bad.
I made a statement w/ no facts? Fact is the '03 Cobra will eat the S197, if you are saying otherwise you are full of it. I know plenty well of any Mustangs capabilities believe me, especially the late models. However, I did say if it was a '99 or '01 that I didn't find it too hard to believe. [/b][/quote]
t69

You remind me of the school bully who finally gets kicked in the ding ding & doesn't like it.

I tired of repeating myself to people who don't know how to read like yourself. Go back to my original post a read it sloooowly & try to understand what I am saying.
Old 12/4/04, 10:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hairy

Look back at page one & consider the post were I say if you have an equal S197 & SN95, the S197 is always going to win.

I'm not sure if you have driven one, but if & when you do you will know within 1 block that the S197 is a far superior chassis.

Remember in stock form the tires are the big factor for the twisters, & that is where the S197 will need improvement. But you say add this & add that to the Cobra I'm not sure I understand your reasoning. And you can build a S197 for the same price as the Cobra's MSRP & walk the dog on it.

Remember the Boy racer on TV. The S197 out of the box & not handling well walked the dog on the SN95 championship car. I think that says it all. I raced a similar SN95 AS car & love it. Hoping to do a boy racer in the future.
Old 12/4/04, 10:26 AM

nice an 05 messing around on 287, i will have to keep an eye out for you. i hope to see some 05s come spring time at Etown/atco.
Old 12/4/04, 10:35 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm thinking of doing ATCO over the winter after some mods.

I hope your not driving a Cobra.

Quick Reply: Hooked Up With A Cobra, Fun