2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood struts

Search this Thread

Old 2/29/16, 04:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hood struts

So I finally bought those nice hood struts from American muscle. I installed them Friday and I guess I don't know my own strength. While attaching the hardware to the fender using existing bolts, I tightened it so hard the bolt sheared and left half in the fender. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to get it out? The kit did not come with new bolts as it should. You're adding a 1/4" thick strut mount to the fender and hood. Longer bolts should've been supplied. If you get these I highly suggest longer bolts. Any help is appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
mdb007 (7/19/23)
Old 2/29/16, 04:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
Hey Hulk, which hood struts did you buy?
Old 2/29/16, 06:46 AM
Cobra Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Strick9
So I finally bought those nice hood struts from American muscle. I installed them Friday and I guess I don't know my own strength. While attaching the hardware to the fender using existing bolts, I tightened it so hard the bolt sheared and left half in the fender. Anyone have this problem? Anyone know how to get it out? The kit did not come with new bolts as it should. You're adding a 1/4" thick strut mount to the fender and hood. Longer bolts should've been supplied. If you get these I highly suggest longer bolts. Any help is appreciated.
Carefully drill out the old one. Pic your bit size carefully, as you don't want to make a larger hole if you can help it. Grab you some new hardware, longer if you like from a hardware store. And try again. You will need to cover any exposed metal you create with a paint to prevent corrosion.

Alternatively, this might work.

http://m.target.com/p/as-seen-on-tv-...w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've never used it though.
Old 2/29/16, 07:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gabe
Hey Hulk, which hood struts did you buy?
the plain black MMD ones that was on sale for $79. The mount that attaches to the fender was moving around as the hood was raised or lowered. If you buy it you will see what I mean.
Old 2/29/16, 07:59 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I have those on my '13 GT and had no issues with the stock bolts or mount movement.
Old 2/29/16, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 537 Likes on 420 Posts
the plain black MMD ones that was on sale for $79. The mount that attaches to the fender was moving around as the hood was raised or lowered. If you buy it you will see what I mean.
I had those and ended up switching to the Redline Tuning struts.
They install in 2 minutes per side, hold the hood up much more firmly especially during windy weather, and you don't have to undo any hood mounting bolts to install them.

This is when I first had the MMD ones installed, you can see the brackets that mount to the fender are kinda coming apart from the fender.
Ended up fixing the problem by switching brackets from side to side:

Name:  2012-09-05_engine.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  374.2 KB
Old 2/29/16, 08:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You should have bought Redline's hood struts. They way they mount I feel is much better. I can open the hood with a finger and the wind doesn't blow it closed.

But back to your problem. Buy a screw extractor kit and new bolts. Should be easy.
Old 7/19/23, 09:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Are those the ones marked ford performance? I got a set last month and same thing base plate moved around. Got some thread lock and redid pass side no prob, when tightening the drivers side … snap!

Have to drill out and extract. I know this thread is old did you get bolt out?
Old 7/19/23, 11:50 AM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
Originally Posted by mdb007
Are those the ones marked ford performance? I got a set last month and same thing base plate moved around. Got some thread lock and redid pass side no prob, when tightening the drivers side … snap!

Have to drill out and extract. I know this thread is old did you get bolt out?
Read post #4 I also wouldn't count on receiving a response from the OP anytime soon, as his last forum activity was from 8/7/16 7 years ago.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 7/19/23 at 11:52 AM.