05-09 Exterior Modifications Making Your '05 Stand Out from the Crowd

Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 5/19/10, 05:47 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning

After bouncing around the idea of installing one of the many available simple bolt-on kits, I decided to go with the Redline Tuning QuickLift system. The ultimate decision was based on its widen pivoting points, as well as the overall OEM appearance.

Installation was simple, however, there is some drilling involved (6 holes: 4- 3/16" holes in the hood, and 2- 5/16" holes inside the fenders), and you will need a riveting tool. The provided detailed instructions were very informative. The only issue that I had was the need to dissemble the riveter after each use as the rivet pin would get stuck inside the feeder (Craftsmen Multi-Size Rivet Gun). Other tools/items included a drill and bits, tape measurer, punch, masking tape, felt pen, ½" wrench, ratchet and ½" deep well socket. I also applied a rust inhibitor to each hole.

Fit and finish is very nice. I was going to buy the more expensive stainless steel version- QuickLift Elite, but I was planning to paint the struts to match my car. After the installation, I decided that I liked the black color, and the red and white letter graphics matched the car nicely, so I left them as is....

I highly recommend this system. The struts are very powerful. You only have to raise the hood about 9" and the struts take over from there. The anchoring points are very supported and sturdy. While the car should have come from the factory with these (hood struts), they look as though they did...

I purchased the set from JLT for $84.95 (Model# 61004 QuickLift Plus): http://jlttruecoldair.com/ZenCart/in...roducts_id=101
Attached Thumbnails Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning-strut-kit.jpg   Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning-strut-kit-ds.jpg   Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning-strut-kit1.jpg   Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning-strut-kit3.jpg   Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning-strut-kit4.jpg  

Hood Struts/Lifts- Redline Tuning-strut-kit6.jpg  

Last edited by SteelTownStang; 5/20/10 at 07:38 AM.
Old 5/20/10, 07:30 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Looks nice and clean.
Old 5/20/10, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like... May be ordering a set soon. Thanks for the review
Old 5/20/10, 04:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by MadGT
Looks nice and clean.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by WarpdSpazm
No problem.
Old 5/20/10, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a set in chrome that were on the car for a couple of months before I swapped to the CDC struts. $50 plus shipping.
Old 5/21/10, 07:48 AM
Bullitt Member

What made you swap?
Old 5/21/10, 08:47 AM
Bullitt Member

I have these as well, though I have yet to install them. Waiting on the aftermarket hood before I install them.

Last edited by 1QIKPNY; 5/21/10 at 08:48 AM.
Old 5/21/10, 08:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had the Redlines before, and they are great. But how do I say, in my opinion the MRT direct bolt-on's (no drlling) are greater. To start with, no drilling and also the hood goes up higher and the struts themselves are more out of the way. Just my opinion and observation, I've had both.
Old 5/21/10, 09:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
These are the best kits out there.. No drilling, no ugly alum brackets, comes in powdercoated factory colors. Fits perfect, opens the hood further too.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/hood-lift...-2010/p/HDGL4/

here is a set installed on my car.

Old 5/23/10, 10:59 AM
Bullitt Member

What made you swap?
I bought mine right after they first came out and they hadn't yet figured out you could mount them in this orientation - they were turned around so they stuck out in front. This made them a huge PITA to work around. Other than that they were great. I still haven't removed the lower mounts while I try to figure out what to cover the holes with......

One note of caution for any of the bolt on mounts - you probably need to remove the lower bracket on the pass side to change the cabin filter. I do on mine.

Last edited by Dread53; 5/23/10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 5/23/10, 11:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

i have the same one as steel town. while they work great, if i could do it again, i would go with the one that topbliss posted. just looks a lot cleaner. not having to drill and rivet is a plus as well.
Old 5/23/10, 06:08 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dread53
I bought mine right after they first came out and they hadn't yet figured out you could mount them in this orientation - they were turned around so they stuck out in front. This made them a huge PITA to work around. Other than that they were great. I still haven't removed the lower mounts while I try to figure out what to cover the holes with......

One note of caution for any of the bolt on mounts - you probably need to remove the lower bracket on the pass side to change the cabin filter. I do on mine.

I don't think so on the one I have. Looks like the shroud will come off with the bracket in place. If not, its one bolt... 15 seconds