Hood Shaking At High Speed!?!

Search this Thread

Old 3/18/05 | 01:50 PM
GT Member

110 mph no hood shake
Old 3/18/05 | 02:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?sh...c=17527&hl=hood

Pretty well documented problem at this point. During the can am race at Daytona, one of the GTs hoods flew off and that is WITH 4 hood pins. This isn't the thread, but there is an aftermarket company making a replacement hood which solves the problem.

The problem is that at high speeds, air pressure builds up in the engine compartment in a big way. The aftermarket hood includes a venting system which eliminates this issue.

I personally will avoid frequent trips over 100mph for this reason. Some days without a lot of wind turbulance seems to be okay, but other days depending on other vehicles in the area and wind conditions seem to make it a great deal worse.

Not quite sure how they missed this one. It is a quite serious issue if you ask me.

:scratch:
Old 1/23/06 | 06:10 AM

I just bought a 05 Saleen 281 and my hood starts to shake around 60-70 mph depending on how windy it is. I took it to the dealer and they told me it is a known problem but there is nothing they can do and that I should look into an aftermarket hood. Also there is a rattle in my exhaust that they can't fix as well as the shaking due to bad tires that started around 70-80 mph. They replaced the front tires and now the shaking starts at 35-40 mph. Plus to top it off they scratched my 20" chrome rims all to heck. I'm taking it back to them today and if they can't fix it in a reasonable time frame I'm getting my money back. I've had the car for around 5 weeks, 2 weeks I drove it and noted all the problems then they had it in the shop for the past 3 weeks. While the dealership was "fixing" my car they gave me an 06 mustang to drive that only have 16 miles on it which broke down then they gave me and 06 Explorer, which only had 45 miles on it, to drive which shakes like crazy and the new seat style is extremely uncomfortable. My wife's 04 Explorer was a much better design and a higher quality ride. I've driven Fords my whole life and this isn't the quality I expect from a Ford product.
Old 9/16/06 | 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Well, I got to experience this with my new car...it was very windy and rainy today on the highway and I was doing about 100MPH (with some Dodge Caravan on my tail) and then the hood started fluttering...it did take me by surprise...so I slowed down to about 85MPH and it stopped...really scary. I just hope that the fluttering doesn't cause any small dimples, etc. in the hood/paint itself. This fluttering can't be good for the hood.
On the other hand, this '60s styling of the hood is really stylish and back then you very rarely took the beast up to that kind speed...it was mainly from streetlight to streetlight.

(Of course they could have hinged the hood in the front -- like other sportscars -- so that it wouldn't fly up...but it might still flutter)
Old 9/16/06 | 07:58 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Mark S.
Well, I got to experience this with my new car...it was very windy and rainy today on the highway and I was doing about 100MPH (with some Dodge Caravan on my tail) and then the hood started fluttering...it did take me by surprise...so I slowed down to about 85MPH and it stopped...really scary. I just hope that the fluttering doesn't cause any small dimples, etc. in the hood/paint itself. This fluttering can't be good for the hood.
On the other hand, this '60s styling of the hood is really stylish and back then you very rarely took the beast up to that kind speed...it was mainly from streetlight to streetlight.

(Of course they could have hinged the hood in the front -- like other sportscars -- so that it wouldn't fly up...but it might still flutter)
More on this:
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=28579

Adjusting bumpstops helps, hood pins are a good idea if you intend to go at high speed a lot.
Old 9/16/06 | 06:06 PM
Bullitt Member

karman, thanks for the link...I guess I'll adjust those rubber stops a bit and see what happens.
Old 9/16/06 | 08:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I had the same problem a few months ago. Adjusting the hood stops did the trick on mine.
Old 9/17/06 | 07:43 AM
Team Mustang Source

How do you adjust them? I haven't really looked at it yet, but I've noticed some hood shake once or twice at higher speeds. Do you adjust them up or down?
Old 9/17/06 | 08:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

Just put a big hole in the middle of your hood that cures it. Or at least it did for me.
Old 9/20/06 | 11:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by theedge67
How do you adjust them? I haven't really looked at it yet, but I've noticed some hood shake once or twice at higher speeds. Do you adjust them up or down?
Adjust them up, how much depends on your particular hood placement. the bumpers are threaded so you just turn them by hand.

Before you go adjusting them, note where the corners of your hood line up with the fenders just above the head lights. This way you will know how far you have actually moved the bumpers and see the difference in the hood height when you are done.
Old 9/26/06 | 01:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

It's a real easy fix like mot250 noted, it only takes a few seconds. Not worth taking to the dealership (although you'd think it should be done right from the factory) I've had mine up and over 100 a few times since, no problem.
Old 9/27/06 | 09:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grrr428
It's a real easy fix like mot250 noted, it only takes a few seconds. Not worth taking to the dealership (although you'd think it should be done right from the factory) I've had mine up and over 100 a few times since, no problem.
I had mine over 100 + on many drag strip runs and 80 laps (over 110 mph on the long straight) or so on a road coarse with no hood shake but I later adjusted mine up anyway just for better hood alignment with the fender. 5 more runs over 104 on drag strip and still no hood shake.
Old 9/9/14 | 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by OBleedingMe
At around 110 MPH and up, my hood starts to shake. Yes, it's fully secured. Does anyone know if this is normal? Has anyone else experienced it? It was moving enough to scare me a bit.
I'm having the same problem but mine starts after 125 mph. Mine is a 2010.