2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Homelink mirror

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/06, 08:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenko
Well I just picked up my electrochromic mirror in Shelby, Mt. It's slightly larger than the Mustang mirror and it's got all the wiring, temp sensor, plastic channel to hide the wiring on the windshield. It also has directions for installing on a 2004 Mazda3 and 2003/2003 Tribute. Should be able to adapt to an 06 Mustang GT. It has the electrical connectors and ample wire ties and clips for the temp sensor. It's the full meal deal in case anyone was worried about anything lacking. Oh! and the picture ChrisM has in the second post above this one depicts this exact mirror.
lenko
Sweet...let us know how it goes!!
Old 7/29/06, 07:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it worked out just great. Teased the factory mirror off with a small screwdriver (pried out in hole at bottom and gently forced mirror up) Prying at top would likely work better, but mirror has to go up.
Slipped new mirror on and tightened with # 20 torx. Took pass. visor off, pulled down interior light cover (probably no need to do that). Lifted pass door sill up and removed panel off the fuse box area and the fuse box cover and then pulled off the A pillar right on ft windshield.
Next I removed the back panel of the right ft wheel well and exposed the outside of firewall. Below the antenna rubber grommet is a protruding rubber nipple which I cut off and ran the temp sensor wire to inside of the veh. as per directions. Sealed this with boat goop.
I hooked the two wires to the mirror wiring plug as per directions. The sensor on the other end I ran over the front of the wheel well panel to the headlight area and mounted the sensor at the centre top of the bumper opening with the sensor hidden inside the vertical centre support at the top. (protected from the elements). I cemented the wire on the inside of the horizontal back cavity with clear boat goop, it won't be going anywhere.
For the final wiring, I removed the neg. wire off the battery as recommended and used two add a circuit minifuses, black and white to the wiper fuse and the black (Homelink) to the power mirror fuse. The ground wire, centre black, went to an existing ground bolt. Hooked it all up including battery neg and it worked like a charm. Put everything back together. Oops, forgot I had to cut a strip off the bottom of the fuse cover to accomodate the add a circuits and the two wires.
Programmed, homelink and compass - works great.
lenko
Old 7/29/06, 07:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Sounds like you install went great! Any photos of the install or after?

Thanks again for the info!
Old 7/29/06, 08:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

My mirror broke off yesterday while I was driving home and the dealer is going to install a new windshield on Monday. I am going to ask them to leave the stock mirror off and order one of the homelink mirrors to replace it. I really miss the temperature and the homelink so this may be a blessing in disguise.
Old 8/1/06, 07:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lenko
Well it worked out just great. Teased the factory mirror off with a small screwdriver (pried out in hole at bottom and gently forced mirror up) Prying at top would likely work better, but mirror has to go up.
Slipped new mirror on and tightened with # 20 torx. Took pass. visor off, pulled down interior light cover (probably no need to do that). Lifted pass door sill up and removed panel off the fuse box area and the fuse box cover and then pulled off the A pillar right on ft windshield.
Next I removed the back panel of the right ft wheel well and exposed the outside of firewall. Below the antenna rubber grommet is a protruding rubber nipple which I cut off and ran the temp sensor wire to inside of the veh. as per directions. Sealed this with boat goop.
I hooked the two wires to the mirror wiring plug as per directions. The sensor on the other end I ran over the front of the wheel well panel to the headlight area and mounted the sensor at the centre top of the bumper opening with the sensor hidden inside the vertical centre support at the top. (protected from the elements). I cemented the wire on the inside of the horizontal back cavity with clear boat goop, it won't be going anywhere.
For the final wiring, I removed the neg. wire off the battery as recommended and used two add a circuit minifuses, black and white to the wiper fuse and the black (Homelink) to the power mirror fuse. The ground wire, centre black, went to an existing ground bolt. Hooked it all up including battery neg and it worked like a charm. Put everything back together. Oops, forgot I had to cut a strip off the bottom of the fuse cover to accomodate the add a circuits and the two wires.
Programmed, homelink and compass - works great.
lenko
Thanks for that! Pics?
Old 8/1/06, 07:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Just a couple pictures after. Unfortunately none during install.http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...5210.jpg&s=f10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...0583.jpg&s=f10
The second is the temp sensor location with the wire running away towards right ft corner of car.
lenko
Old 8/1/06, 09:49 AM
Legacy TMS Member

A couple more.
1 Fuse holder showing the add a circuit fuses and wires at bottom of cut out fuse holder cover.http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/...2091.jpg&s=f10
2 Firewall rubber grommet with temp sensor wire
(small) to right of large wire bundle.
Old 8/1/06, 02:28 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the plastic wire tube they give you to go to the headliner, better than the '07 mirror with the wire bundle just kinda there in the air. I might have to do this sometime, I miss not having the temp and the homelink capability.
Old 8/1/06, 08:26 PM
Bullitt Member

I installed my mirror today and it was not to bad of an install. It took me awhile because I have not had my car apart yet so I was taking my time. It will be nice having the homelink and temp again, I really missed it.

If anyone is interested I have the Gentex GENK51 which has the homelink, compass, auto dimming, and temperature. I bought it from Rob at info@brand-new.us and it cost me $250 delivered. He will give you that price if you mention you saw his contact info on Jack Phelps website. Jack is a minister in Texas who loves automobile and motorcycles. For some reason Rob and Jack have become friends and Rob gives discounts because of it. I dunno why.

Jacks website is http://www.jackphelps.com/frontier/mirror.htm and the link takes you to his mirror install in his Frontier.

Long story short, email Rob and tell him you heard about him from Jacks website and he will give you a great deal. You have to ask and pay an additional $6 for the small channel that covers the wiring if you want it. I recommend it as it looks better.

Bob

PS I also hard wired my radar detector while I had everything torn apart.
Attached Images  
Old 8/1/06, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BeBeep
I installed my mirror today and it was not to bad of an install. It took me awhile because I have not had my car apart yet so I was taking my time. It will be nice having the homelink and temp again, I really missed it.

If anyone is interested I have the Gentex GENK51 which has the homelink, compass, auto dimming, and temperature. I bought it from Rob at info@brand-new.us and it cost me $250 delivered. He will give you that price if you mention you saw his contact info on Jack Phelps website. Jack is a minister in Texas who loves automobile and motorcycles. For some reason Rob and Jack have become friends and Rob gives discounts because of it. I dunno why.

Jacks website is http://www.jackphelps.com/frontier/mirror.htm and the link takes you to his mirror install in his Frontier.

Long story short, email Rob and tell him you heard about him from Jacks website and he will give you a great deal. You have to ask and pay an additional $6 for the small channel that covers the wiring if you want it. I recommend it as it looks better.

Bob

PS I also hard wired my radar detector while I had everything torn apart.
Bob,

Looks great, nice install. Hey since you had the compass mirror already with the comfort group, did you splice into the stock wiring for that, or how did you wire it? I just got my mirror yesterday from World Parts Express, it was like $257 after shipping, and my 2007 GT Vert should be in in the next couple of days. So my install will be exactly like yours, and was curious as to how you wired it. Please let me know the details if you can so I don't screw it up

Thanks!

Buster
Old 8/2/06, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks Buster,

I did not use the exsisting harness, I actually installed it per the instructions lenko posted. I imagine you could use the stock connection, I just decided against it.

The only detail I can add is the wiper wire I tapped into is red with a yellow stripe.

Good Luck,
Bob
Old 8/2/06, 08:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by BeBeep
Thanks Buster,

I did not use the exsisting harness, I actually installed it per the instructions lenko posted. I imagine you could use the stock connection, I just decided against it.

The only detail I can add is the wiper wire I tapped into is red with a yellow stripe.

Good Luck,
Bob
Roger that, thanks for the info Bob I may try using the existing harness, then the only wire I would have to really run would be the temp sensor.

Thanks again,
Buster
Old 10/4/06, 01:40 PM
Bullitt Member

I saw this 2007 Mazda CX-7 Rearview Mirror Auto-Dimming w/ Compass on EBay at $149: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting Could this be installed in a Mustang?
Old 10/4/06, 01:55 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like it's the same mirror so it could work.
Old 10/4/06, 08:17 PM
Bullitt Member

That mirror looks awsome. I would like to have a "plug n play" autodim mirror with the compass and homelink to replace the autodim compass factory mirror. I don't really need the temp display as much as I want to throw out the little garage opener remote.
Old 10/5/06, 10:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by First Stang
I saw this 2007 Mazda CX-7 Rearview Mirror Auto-Dimming w/ Compass on EBay at $149: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ayphotohosting Could this be installed in a Mustang?
That one doesn't have Homelink, even though he lists it in the description.

This one does:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...mZ200031648451

$100 more.

Also looks like you need the installation kit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-Ma...mZ200031647803