2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Homelink mirror

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/06, 01:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by f1-cobra
If you just wanted Homelink, I wonder if there is a way to get the buttons that go on the visor, like on the Lincolns, and install it on the Mustang visor.
I did a little Googling and found this. Unfortunately it's backordered and the Mito website doesn't even show it.
Old 7/20/06, 02:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f1-cobra
If you just wanted Homelink, I wonder if there is a way to get the buttons that go on the visor, like on the Lincolns, and install it on the Mustang visor.
I did that with my last C5 Corvette, which is very easy to do IF you have a lighted vanity mirror in the visor to provide the power. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the Mustangs have lighted vanity mirrors in the visor, so there's no power to tap into without running wires. And if you are going to run wires, might as well just get the mirror with the Homelink built in, so you don't have to mess with modifying the visors.
Old 7/20/06, 09:24 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought I read in one of these mirror threads several people had tried the visor set up and it couldn't work. Not sure if they were just talking about the lack of power to the visor or if there was some other problem. Never read enough to find the answer.
Old 7/20/06, 09:38 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just ordered a Mazda dimming mirror # 0000-8C-G14A; Homelink, compass and temp from worldpartsexpress.com for 237.90, 17.84 shipping and 2.00 handling, ttl 257.74. Can't wait to get and install it.
lenko
Old 7/20/06, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by lenko
Just ordered a Mazda dimming mirror # 0000-8C-G14A; Homelink, compass and temp from worldpartsexpress.com for 237.90, 17.84 shipping and 2.00 handling, ttl 257.74. Can't wait to get and install it.
lenko
That's a great price, thanks for the info. Is their anyway to confirm that that is the same one as sold in the Ford accessory catalog? I would hate to get it and find out that it was a smaller version made for the import market. If it is the same one, I am ordering it, as that is the best price I have seen on them.

Thanks again,
Buster
Old 7/20/06, 10:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
That's a great price, thanks for the info. Is their anyway to confirm that that is the same one as sold in the Ford accessory catalog? I would hate to get it and find out that it was a smaller version made for the import market. If it is the same one, I am ordering it, as that is the best price I have seen on them.

Thanks again,
Buster
It's the one used in the Mazda Tribute. It's basically the same size as the standard Tribute/Escape/Mariner mirror. That is a very good price.
Old 7/20/06, 10:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Can someone measure one of those to see if they are the same size as a Mustang mirror? Also, does the Mazda mirror come with the installation kit and temp sensor?
Old 7/20/06, 11:02 PM
Cobra Member

yea let us know if that mirror comes with wiring AND temp sensor ..if it does im grabbin one heh
Old 7/21/06, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jcopin
yea let us know if that mirror comes with wiring AND temp sensor ..if it does im grabbin one heh

Yeah let us know because I want homelink compass and the temp. Where would you have to install the temp sensor??

Ohh and please please post pics of it all!!
Old 7/21/06, 10:28 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Its going to my friend's place in Montana next week and I've got to drive down from Alberta and pick it up. Will answer all your questions re: size and harness and post a photo once I get it. Check out http:www.supercar-engineering.com/rubberducky/Mazda3/Mods/All/HLMirror and apply these instructions to a Mustang; routing to passenger side, wire coloring etc. That site has some photographs. Hope it won't be too tough to install.
lenko
Old 7/21/06, 10:52 AM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Here's a link to the one lenko is talking about:
http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2293
Looks to me like this is the right one for our cars.
If all works out, looks like this will be the one to get.
Old 7/21/06, 12:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by StangNut
Here's a link to the one lenko is talking about:
http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2293
Looks to me like this is the right one for our cars.
If all works out, looks like this will be the one to get.
If you don't care about the temp display, this one is less expensive:

http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=1546
Old 7/21/06, 04:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I have seen visors on eBay w/ the homelink built into it for cheap and I wonder if you could modify it to fit on the overhead console where the map lights are. Could you tap into the wires for the lights for power?
Old 7/21/06, 11:35 PM
Legacy TMS Member

The MAZDA and FORD mirrors are identicle. They will both come in a White FORD box, the MAZDA will have a P/N tag placed over the FORD tag. The temp sensor must be located and mounted in an area away from engine heat and out of direct sunlite in order to get accurate reading. If youe search "homelink mirror" on Ebay, you will find about 20 mirrors, and one gentleman "DDAVE" from Rhode Island selling sensors, wiring kits and mirrors. The GENTEX mirrors are UNIVERSAL, the only difference is the windshield mounting piece, and what options you desire (homelink, compass, maplights, temp, or combos). One for a Mazda is the same for a GM or Ford or Mercedes etc. If yoy go to the GENTEX website you can verify. Again, auto salvage yard costs are about 50.00 for these mirrors, you remove with wiring.
Old 7/22/06, 01:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the confirmation that it was the same and would work Paul. I just placed my order with worldpartsexpress.com for 237.90. The guy on Ebay actually has one for $199.99, but is has a blemish in the glass. I was worth the extra $$ to make sure I got a new one I would be happy with, and not get buyers remorse, ha, ha.
Old 7/22/06, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jcopin
ive never been to a junkyard

where do i even find one?=p

what do i do say im here to rummage through stuff?
lol
When there, be sure to pet their little dogie. And then
Old 7/22/06, 06:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Homelink Mirror, redux

Guys,

This option has been done at length in an earlier thread that was lost in the switch. I found it because I did this exact mod (see post #63 there) in April, 2005. Here's the link to the thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=15620

I bought the Subaru mirror (no temp). You can find it at this link:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1

The attachment shows my installed mirror.

You cannot tap the map lights!! The map lights are a two-wire dedicated circuit. If you install the mirror and tap the hot side of the map lights and do the tap to ground for the mirror, your map lights (and all other interior lights) will stay on all the time! I found this out while installing footwell lights - they have to be added to the 2-wire map light circuit and can't be grounded.

For the mirror, you have to pick up a tap on another simpler circuit for which the other side can go to ground. Pick an appropriate circuit on the fuse box and get an "Add-a Circuit" that replaces the fuse and provides an additional circuit with it's own fuse. Run that wire up the A-pillar and across under the front of the headliner to the map light area. Drill a hole in the map light understructure for a ground and you're all set to go.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Homelink mirror-124_2464.jpg  
Old 7/22/06, 08:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Chris,
Does this fit the existing mount or do you have to swap it as well?
Old 7/23/06, 09:55 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by AFChief
Chris,
Does this fit the existing mount or do you have to swap it as well?
It does fit the existing tang glued to the windshield - simply slip it on and tighten up the screw. All the mirrors come with a black plastic channel that will cover the wiring between the headliner and the mirror.

Be very careful taking the existing mirror off!! You must use a small screwdriver to slip under one side of the clip and pull out - I used a 4" jeweler's type screwdriver. It is very tight and needs persuading but a continuous gentle pressure will get it off. I've heard unconfirmed reports of guys cracking their windshield by working on it too hard!
Old 7/25/06, 10:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well I just picked up my electrochromic mirror in Shelby, Mt. It's slightly larger than the Mustang mirror and it's got all the wiring, temp sensor, plastic channel to hide the wiring on the windshield. It also has directions for installing on a 2004 Mazda3 and 2003/2003 Tribute. Should be able to adapt to an 06 Mustang GT. It has the electrical connectors and ample wire ties and clips for the temp sensor. It's the full meal deal in case anyone was worried about anything lacking. Oh! and the picture ChrisM has in the second post above this one depicts this exact mirror.
lenko

Quick Reply: Homelink mirror