2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

GT guys toward a v-6 guy

Search this Thread

Old 7/14/05, 05:03 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm psyched whenever I see another '05 on the road. I always try to make eye contact with the driver and give him a nod or thumbs up. Regardless of whether it's a V6- or V8-equipped 'Stang.

I pulled up next to a V6 'Stang at a light and rolled down my window to compliment the driver on her car. She and her husband laughed and told me it was a rental. Then she added that she wished it were hers! I felt a little goofy, but I was still glad I made a point of expressing my enthusiasm.

Everything is relative. I always get "Did ya get the convertible?" from people when I tell them I got a Mustang. So I know how the V6 folks feel. When I tell people "no, I got the GT coupe" I sort of feel like I've disappointed them. It seems they were hoping I got a convertible!
Old 7/14/05, 05:06 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by Enfynet@July 13, 2005, 6:10 PM
I've got that covered!
Nice shirt, Justin. Is that a cat wine bottle behind you? I thought you could only get those in Canada. Haven't seen any in the states.
Old 7/14/05, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

I have a GREAT addition to this:

I went to a fast food joint a while back. The wife and I went to get lunch, and we went through the drivethrough. I got to the window, and this young girl (white) is working the window. She starts chit chatting. I get my drinks (waiting on the food), and she says (as I put my sunglasses on),

"Yeah Yeah... sportin' out!"
I was like... "Yep! Gotta do it!"
She asks "Is that the new Mustang?"
"Yep"
"They look like the old ones..."
"Yeah, that's why I like it."
"I don't like them. I like the last generation. They look better. They're more futuristic. I'm not really crazy about the retro design. Of course... I'm a TRUCK kind of girl, so..."
"Well, to each his own. There are plenty of choices for everyone. This one was mine."

I got my food and drove off. After thinking about it for a few minutes I chuckled to myself. I started chatting with my wife about it and we both laughed. It was strange and funny how this girl felt the need to tell me that. What relevence does it have? Why would you tell someone that you DON'T like their car? I guess people are just that shallow, OR she felt the need to get under my skin. Either way... it just made me laugh. She probably has a friend/family member/boyfriend/husband that just bought an 04 before the 05's came out and is pissed off for not waiting.

For the most part, I receive and give good reactions on the 05. I've actually found that for the most part, owning my lowly 05 V6 has been more enjoyable than what beast lurks in the garrage. When I blow the dust off of my '66, people become instant mustang know-it-all's and proceed to critique my car for what it is, was, isn't and wasn't.

With my 05, even though it's not a GT, people still talk about how cool the car is and how nice it looks. That's a nice pat on the back, and because it's new, there's nothing to critique. It's Factory! What's funny is that I figured I'd get more praise for owning an old one. Keeping it running is a miracle and just getting it on the road is an accomplishment. It's hard work, big $$$ and dedication. Yet people are way nicer about my 05. Kinda funny. I guess that's why you gotta do it for yourself not for others.

It doesn't make me bitter though. Restoring an old stang is a hobby and a passion that you have to love to do, and someohow in some twisted way... I love it, just like I love my 05. You couldn't make me give up either, and I'd HATE to have to choose.
Old 7/14/05, 12:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Chris Yea, I'm not too far from Canadia up here so things like that are not uncommon in my house.

Phillip, I know what you mean about the 05s. At a local "Cruise Night" I parked a few spots away from a 68 GT500KR and a 69 Mach 1 and people still flocked to my car. I was like, "Go look at those cars, they're 1000x cooler than this"...
Old 7/14/05, 03:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Herknav@July 13, 2005, 9:02 PM
The older v6s always looked sorta... goofy to me. I thought the wheels were too small for the body... but the -6 only styling cues that Ford put on and the nice little powerplant make the -6 a damned nice looking and performing machine. Heck, the HP numbers are about where my 96 GT was...

my new lawn mower:

that is my ride exactly--to be built soon---nice seeing a pic---giddy up!
Old 7/15/05, 03:13 PM
GT Member

I went to the "Stell Valley Nationals" in Youngstown Ohio not long ago. Finally owned a car worth taking! Me and my sons (5 and 3) were exited to take the car out. We parked right next to a red '06 Vette, which is one of my oldests favorite cars. I figured what the heck see if anybody cares about a V6 mustang. I got no more than 20 feet from the car and people start walking up to it and checking it out. All night I had people come up to me wherever I park and made comment to how nice the car was GT or not.

I've even had GT owners say that outside of the dual exuast and fog lamps and power plant they wished the would have saved some money and gotten a fully loaded V6 instead. Esecially when they see an IUP up close or see the spinner wheels. All the little things they might have sacrificed for the horsepower and prestige od a GT. I say "hey man, your car is is really nice and you can mod it later".

Gt or V6 it doesn't matter. Same with the model year, we are all Mustang owners. Nothing aggrivates me more then giving a thumbs up to another Mustang owner and them blow by you without a second look. So keep on the look out for ALL the ponies and have a hand ready to give them the thumbs up!

By the way I believe this makes my 100th post!!!!! Movin' on up!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7/15/05, 03:40 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

it doesnt matter if its a V6 or a GT...if the owner is an enthusiast then its all smiles, I always try to compliment the V6ers around town and give thumbs up or a "nice car" and unfortunately majority of them dont respond in kind, I often get dirty looks or just ignored, very seldom do I get the enthusiasm returned, even from the few GTs around town.

So heres one from me....nice car!!!
Old 7/15/05, 03:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by rrobello@July 15, 2005, 3:43 PM
it doesnt matter if its a V6 or a GT...if the owner is an enthusiast then its all smiles,
What about 4cyl?

Yea I know....this is about '05's :hiding:
Old 7/17/05, 07:31 AM
GT Member

A lot of good responses. I saw a guy driving a mineral grey V-6 and he gave me the thumbs up. Just wanted to add again to the list of friendly people.
Old 7/17/05, 07:33 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by wildstanglx90@July 15, 2005, 5:01 PM
What about 4cyl?

Yea I know....this is about '05's :hiding:

my 80 and 86 had the 2.3l nothing wrong with them, they got me hooked on Mustangs.
Old 7/17/05, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My own perception is that we don't see as much V8 vs. V6 prejudice amongst '05 owners as we do see a rift between true Mustang afficionados, and the folks who just bought one 'cause they heard it was a hot car, and don't get the whole Mustang culture thing at all.

Back when I had my original 'stang in the late 70's, I had two breakdowns on the highway (a flat and a ruptured lower radiator hose). In both cases a passing Mustang driver stopped to assist. You don't see that much with a Camry or a Taurus.

Hopefully some of the new owners will get the idea there's more to owning a Mustang than getting home with your groceries quicker
Old 7/17/05, 12:27 PM
Team Mustang Source

When we joined the local Mustang crusing club and went to our first meeting, another couple who just joined had a V6. The rest of the members checked out both cars and made positive comments. Most of these folks had cars you would kill for. I think if your a Mustang fan, you appreciate both the good and bad of all the models.