2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Friday Builds

Search this Thread

Old 2/24/05, 04:35 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I recall there being an old saying about cars built on Fridays are usually lemons as the manufacturers dont have their heads in the game.
Whats is your opinion on this?
I am locked in on for production March 4th.... A FRIDAY!!!
My partner at work is telling me DONT DO IT :nono:
I dont do less at work just because it is friday... :scratch:

Does anyone with major car problems have a friday build?

Opinions?
Old 2/24/05, 06:04 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is just an old saying that wouldn't be applicable to a modern fully-automated assembly line. Many of the components on most cars are built at other plants days before the car actually gets built, including the engine, transmission, computer, radio, rear end, etc. Ford has invested millions at Flat Rock, and the 05 Mustang is built with new labor-friendly assembly stations that raise and lower the car to ideal working positions, etc, compared to the process for the previous model.

I wouldn't worry about it. I think the one I have coming in was started on a Monday.
Old 2/24/05, 06:20 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing worse that a friday build is a Saturday build

I don't know if there is any truth to it. I don't think the actual quality of the car suffers, as so many components are built before the car is assembled. The only thing I could see happening is the odd trim screw be missing.
Old 2/24/05, 07:18 AM
Cobra Member

I know cars at the end of a model year will wind up with parts out of the spare parts bin. I used to know a guy that worked for a dealer here in Colorado. He had a '98 GT that wound up with a '99 motor that had some weird intake manifold and heads, not standard to the '99, and out of the factory on a SOHC motor, he wound up with like 290? hp at the flywheel. He did all kinds of research on it using his resources at the dealership, and determined that they were throwing parts together. His car was built the week after mine.... It made me jealous.
I can only assume that similar things happen, but only go the other way, and wind up with crap parts....
Old 2/24/05, 07:40 AM
V6 Member

i have a friend who works for a fleet company that supplies test cars to journalists. we got back from lunch yesterday to see a brand new LS-6 GTO roll off the truck. The GTO had 6 miles on it -- and missing screws on the A-pillar trim, a badly misaligned trunk lid, a missing license-plate light, big wrinkle under the floor carpet and a missing fuse box cover. Probably there was more. But it started just fine -- and it sounded *killer.*

it's what i imagine a monday morning car in the '60s would have looked like.
Old 2/24/05, 07:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Don't do it? I don't think it really matters. Those guys a lot of times working 6 and 7 days a week. So what's friday? Just another day. Just be glad you have a build date. I bet there are quite a few on here that would like to trade places with you. I could care less what day I get. Just hoping to get mine when the nice weather comes rolling in.
Old 2/24/05, 08:08 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess maybe the friday and monday car owners should opt for the extended warranty?

As for your weather... I hear yall get some kinda white stuff up there. Dont really know what that is.
Old 2/24/05, 08:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

Robots don't get excited because the weekend is coming up. There are still humans involved but I don't think this old story is still valid. Besides, you get a build week, the actual date will not be known until you see it on an Oasis report. Could be before or after the date you hear from the computer lady. Don't worry, be happy!
Old 2/24/05, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I used to work on the line at a GM plant. Personally, the quality of my work was the same no matter what day of the week. I can't say the same for everyone there though. A lot of people would go out to the parking lot during breaks and party. The smell of pot was constantly in the air....even after parking first thing in the morning and walking to the entrance you could smell it. Dodging beer and other assorted bottles while leaving work was tricky. The old timers there told me stories of how they used to party right in the plant. They said it was common for someone to fire up a joint and leave it in the ashtray as the car went down the line so whoever wanted to partake, could. I'm glad things have changed!
Old 2/24/05, 09:43 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The level of automation and quality checking in this plant appears to be quite good. Also, from seeing some of the workers while on 2 different tours, my perception was they showed great attention to detail in their work.

I don't think you really need to worry.

PS - I just toured the Corvette plant this past Monday, and saw one guy laying in a partially completed car on the line during the break catching a nap. It was amusing. however, I imagine I would want to take a nap after doing repetitive work hour after hour. I believe Corvette got awards for highest initial quality in comparison with its peers over the last several years.