2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/06, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Ford GT, you just proved the point, you paid $695 for 7 years. I would agree that at that price it is a value but $1600 for 5 years that's different.... [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/starwars.gif[/img]
Old 2/28/06, 05:02 PM
V6 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05fordgt @ February 28, 2006, 5:24 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Mark, you are so right about it being worth it. I am a Ford dealer, and tell people all the time, that these new vehicles have so many computers and electornically controlled components in them today, that if one fails, it can cost hundreds and even thousands of $$$ to fix. The real kicker with extended service plans, is the buyer of the car, always ask friends if its worth it. Most always say no way! Then when there is an issue, the vehicle owner, now stuck with a $$$ repair bill, that would have been covered with Ford ESP, is now mad at the salesperson, who offered it in the first place, but not mad at their friends. I always ask a customer who I am selling a car to, to consider the Ford ESP. They then tell me that either a friend, relative or family mechanic, tells them to not buy one of these, its not worth it. I then ask them, if you do have an issue, and you don't have the coverage, is your friend, relative or family mechanic, going to pay the whole bill for you? I personally got one on my GT. A 7 year, 36,000 mile Premium Care ESP. Only cost me $695 (I got it $100 over cost, since I am an employee of the dealership). Best insurance for a $30,000 vehicle IMO. In closing, if the service plan is the factory backed one, then they are worth it. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]
Are you saying that all you did was extend your years and not your mileage? Or did it include another 36,000 miles making a total of 72,000?
Old 2/28/06, 06:22 PM

Dan, Mark and Jeff,

I agree with you guy's. I think it all boils down to personality and peace of mind. $1500 over 5 years is no big deal for me personally and its worth having the peace of mind that if something goes wrong, especially computer parts etc, it's covered. Also, if you are financing the car over 5 years, why take the chance of getting nailed with a big repair bill on top of the monthly payment. I read what the ESP covers and it is very extensive. I will still see if I can negotiate on the price. I bought the car on x-plan and I believe the ESP is a bit cheaper. Thank you to all who took tthe ime to contribute to this thread and for your informative opinions.

My dealer just informed me my build week is next week and I should get the car shortly after!!!!!

Michael
Old 2/28/06, 07:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mrGT @ February 28, 2006, 7:05 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Are you saying that all you did was extend your years and not your mileage? Or did it include another 36,000 miles making a total of 72,000?
[/b][/quote]

mrGT, yep, thats all I did. I can only drive the car a max total of 8500 miles per year (cheaper insurance, with limited use), and I just got the years only, and kept the mileage the same. Now, I can pay the small difference if I think I will go over the 36,000 in 7 years. I just have to upgrade the Ford ESP within the factory warranty timeframe.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TCPIP @ February 28, 2006, 8:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Dan, Mark and Jeff,

I agree with you guy's. I think it all boils down to personality and peace of mind. $1500 over 5 years is no big deal for me personally and its worth having the peace of mind that if something goes wrong, especially computer parts etc, it's covered. Also, if you are financing the car over 5 years, why take the chance of getting nailed with a big repair bill on top of the monthly payment. I read what the ESP covers and it is very extensive. I will still see if I can negotiate on the price. I bought the car on x-plan and I believe the ESP is a bit cheaper. Thank you to all who took tthe ime to contribute to this thread and for your informative opinions.

My dealer just informed me my build week is next week and I should get the car shortly after!!!!!

Michael
[/b][/quote]

Michael, my pleasure to answer your questions. Congrats on your car getting close to being built. Trust me, the wait is SO WORTH IT!!! Please post pics when you pic her up. Good luck with it, and with your extended service choice. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/thumb.gif[/img]
Old 3/1/06, 09:37 AM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TCPIP @ February 28, 2006, 7:25 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>

Michael
[/b][/quote]

I'm happy to help. This entire forum community is so helpful, that I'm just glad to contribute a bit. It's great to hear that you will be getting your car soon! You will LOVE it! I've had mine for 1yr 3mos now, and I still get a big, stupid grin when I leave work and see it sitting there in the parking lot.
Old 3/1/06, 09:45 AM
V6 Member

I bought the whole shootin' match, including the maint. plan (does everything and replaces even worn wipers). I usually don't do that but in the case of my baby, nothing is too good!

Joe
Old 3/1/06, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TCPIP @ February 27, 2006, 9:00 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Folks,

My 06 GT should arrive at the dealer in a few weeks and I've already been asked about Ford's extended warranty. They offer a 5 year/150,000 KM (90,000 Mile) bumper to bumper extended warranty for about $1600,00. Has anyone purchased the Extended Service Plan on a Mustang and does anyone think it's worth it based on past experience?

Thank you
[/b][/quote]

99.99% of your warrantable problems will arise in the first 3 years. If you are getting a lot of them you'll unload the pos. The odds of getting a $1600+ warranty repair in year 4 or 5 is almost negligable. And if you do need a $1600+ repair you can pay for it when it happens. imho it makes little sense to pay for something that is extremely unlikely to pay for itself.
Old 3/1/06, 11:41 AM
Team Mustang Source

While we are on the topics on ESP's, ect (Which I got to double the factory one), is anyone here who has the ESP afraid of voiding it w/ mods?
Old 3/1/06, 01:48 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ March 1, 2006, 12:09 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
99.99% of your warrantable problems will arise in the first 3 years. If you are getting a lot of them you'll unload the pos. The odds of getting a $1600+ warranty repair in year 4 or 5 is almost negligable. And if you do need a $1600+ repair you can pay for it when it happens. imho it makes little sense to pay for something that is extremely unlikely to pay for itself.
[/b][/quote]
Exactly. Companies aren't in the extended warranty business to lose money, they make huge profit on them. Not just cars either. Everything I buy (electronics, appliances, etc.) they're always trying to sell me an extended warranty. Hey god bless America and the capitalist system, but I'll spend my money on something else.
Old 3/1/06, 03:07 PM
Cobra Member

yeah try that with a 400 dollar bill for a power window motor.... Or if the ac compressor goes. Its worth it if you buy smart.
Old 3/1/06, 03:22 PM

I am always unsure of purchasing the plan but I just replaced 2 outside mirrors on my suburban due to them breaking at the hinge for a total of $1000 which was covered under an extended. As everyone has stated it is a personal level of comfortability.
Old 3/1/06, 09:12 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I say wait till your 3 year warranty is nearing the end.If you had issues,then get it,if not ....roll the dice [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 3/2/06, 08:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nonsensez9 @ March 1, 2006, 10:09 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

For us, it really depends on miles, not age.. In our case, we will finish off the factory waranty in just over 1 year. We have had the car < 4 months and already have just under 14,000 miles. We wanted to make sure if something happened while we were paying for the car that we didn't have a repair bill along with car payments.

~Mark
Old 3/2/06, 09:41 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(maniak @ March 2, 2006, 11:42 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
For us, it really depends on miles, not age.. In our case, we will finish off the factory waranty in just over 1 year. We have had the car < 4 months and already have just under 14,000 miles. We wanted to make sure if something happened while we were paying for the car that we didn't have a repair bill along with car payments.

~Mark
[/b][/quote]

Your paying a possible future repair bill every month, so you do have a repair bill inside your payment for something that may or may not occur. Plus your paying interest on it throughout the loan. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/banghead.gif[/img] Considering the miles your putting on in a short time, what warranty will cover that total of miles throughout your payments and at what cost?

In regard to a post of its just like Automobile Insurance, you don't really what to use it. Of course we don't want to use it, but the cost is nothing close to a possible payout for a moments mishap. The road insurance is good for up to 60 times the cost with high PL/PD's when spread over 5 years. Big difference there.

Concerning the low miles. My Cobra needed the Belt Tensioner (that was a given) replaced during the first seven years. $110 and I installed it. In year eight a fuel pump, R/R $280. 21K miles

In regard to high miles, my Jimmy needed a heater core at 70K $120 and I did the R/R. The rest was all maintenance items not cover, over 100K now. Its still all factory light bulbs even.

In regard to CP going bad, their not the PC's were on-line with. The vehicle CP is not going to get a virus, lol.

Of course warranty's pay off for a few purchasers.

If you just bank the monthly $$$ for any of them and you will be money ahead by a long shot. That way the money goes only where its needed, preferably once the time is right for a new product.
Old 3/2/06, 10:23 AM
Team Mustang Source

Total cost of the waranty was $1500 for 100k miles.. spread across 4 years..

We can afford an extra little bit per month but can't afford a bad repair bill in 2 years. Even if we saved the extra bit we are paying and put it in an interest bearing account, we would have < $500 when the waranty expires. It just not a risk we are willing to take.

If we had a large enough savings account we would problably not got the extended waranty...

~Mark