2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

EXCLUSIVE: DAN & GALAXIE INTERVIEW HAU THAI TANG

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/04, 11:11 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another piece of info we didn't mention:

- Mr. Thai-Tang said that there was a media embargo of information on the 05 (including test drives) till September.

So, I'd expect a whole bunch of reviews come Job 1. Probably in most mag's October issue.
Old 7/26/04, 11:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Awesome job guys!

The fact that they are looking at the M3 in comparison shows how well this car will handle.
Old 7/26/04, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by GreyGT@July 26, 2004, 2:05 PM
Oh yeah... did I mention that I live in Germany!!! yes Germany, so I will be reporting back on how the car handles at speed. Meaning cruising at 110-120 or so.. This was one of my main concerns when I was buying this car. Right now I drive a BMW 525 and it is normal to drive it 110+ MPH for an extended time period(1 hour +). I am just concerned about how the car will handle at higher speeds. I know that this post is probably not the place to answer that question, but if you know or have any ideas, plz let me know.
Sweet. I hope you'll come down to Munich and pick me up for a ride as soon as you get your Stang

What would really be nice, tho, was if you could tell me about your experiences with making the car meet German regulations, getting number plates that actually fit on the car, how much it all cost etc.
Old 7/26/04, 12:31 PM
GT Member

YOU GUYS ABSOLUTELY ROCK!!!!

I for one appreciate you saving this info. It came as quite the pleasant surprise. I can't wait for this Mustang. I have been waiting my whole life to own one, and I'm glad things worked out that I'll be getting the best ever (my opinion, of course).

Thanks again for what you and so many others are doing to get as much info to the masses as possible. You've made the wait for this car so much more bearable. Way to go, and keep up the outstanding work! :usa:
Old 7/26/04, 01:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by GreyGT@July 26, 2004, 6:05 AM
M3 is more like $55-60k.
Base M3 is 43k

This is good to hear, but .5 seconds is a long time..and, if you consider, that the 05 GT probably has more power
I would not say the GT has more power, don't be fooled by the 262 ft-lb. The M3 is all about performance.

that means every bit of that .5 second lead was because of handling and breaking
I would have to agree with you on this, BMW prides itself on the M3 track performance. That being said, for those that have not had the pleasure of driving/riding in a M3, I will tell you that you do pay for the performance, not in dollars, but in your hide... It is NOT a comfortable ride, you feel every bump in the road, because this car is made to run on the track. This is where the 05 Stang will be oh so much better. We are going to get a high performance vehicle, that you can be comfortable in on a day to day basis.

BTW,
This being my first post I would like to say HI I have been lurking for about 3 months now.

Background info.
Name is Jason
Ordered an 05 Mineral Grey GT Premium, Dark Charcoal, shaker 500, Rim upgrade, with every other option that came with it.

Oh yeah... did I mention that I live in Germany!!! yes Germany, so I will be reporting back on how the car handles at speed. Meaning cruising at 110-120 or so.. This was one of my main concerns when I was buying this car. Right now I drive a BMW 525 and it is normal to drive it 110+ MPH for an extended time period(1 hour +). I am just concerned about how the car will handle at higher speeds. I know that this post is probably not the place to answer that question, but if you know or have any ideas, plz let me know.

Anyway,
I enjoy reading post everyday here, and want to thank Brad for letting his love of Mustangs be shared and in doing so letting this site grow and grow..
The base price of M3 is $48,xxx. By the time you put ANY options on it, you are at $55. Trust me, I have shopped for them. My wife would prefer that choice over the Cobra. I have driven a few M3s and an M5. They are VERY nice cars. That 262 lb-ft is a real difference from the mach/cobra/roush though. The M3 is fast, but, it takes it a while to wind up to the 333hp. IT isn't the instant, throw you back in the seat, that say a Roush 380R or Cobra has.
Old 7/26/04, 04:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by crazyhorse+July 26, 2004, 3:18 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (crazyhorse @ July 26, 2004, 3:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GreyGT@July 26, 2004, 6:05 AM
M3 is more like $55-60k.
Base M3 is 43k

This is good to hear, but .5 seconds is a long time..and, if you consider, that the 05 GT probably has more power
I would not say the GT has more power, don't be fooled by the 262 ft-lb. The M3 is all about performance.

that means every bit of that .5 second lead was because of handling and breaking
I would have to agree with you on this, BMW prides itself on the M3 track performance. That being said, for those that have not had the pleasure of driving/riding in a M3, I will tell you that you do pay for the performance, not in dollars, but in your hide... It is NOT a comfortable ride, you feel every bump in the road, because this car is made to run on the track. This is where the 05 Stang will be oh so much better. We are going to get a high performance vehicle, that you can be comfortable in on a day to day basis.

BTW,
This being my first post I would like to say HI I have been lurking for about 3 months now.

Background info.
Name is Jason
Ordered an 05 Mineral Grey GT Premium, Dark Charcoal, shaker 500, Rim upgrade, with every other option that came with it.

Anyway,
I enjoy reading post everyday here, and want to thank Brad for letting his love of Mustangs be shared and in doing so letting this site grow and grow..
The base price of M3 is $48,xxx. By the time you put ANY options on it, you are at $55. Trust me, I have shopped for them. My wife would prefer that choice over the Cobra. I have driven a few M3s and an M5. They are VERY nice cars. That 262 lb-ft is a real difference from the mach/cobra/roush though. The M3 is fast, but, it takes it a while to wind up to the 333hp. IT isn't the instant, throw you back in the seat, that say a Roush 380R or Cobra has. [/b][/quote]
Great jobs guys, as for handling against M3 it would take very little modification to equal the M3 if that is the time difference, a good set of springs would probably do the trick and look you still save 20,000 or more dollars, springs are really a cheap modification the the results you get.
Old 7/26/04, 04:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Titanium rocks, hope the Cobra comes this color.
Old 7/26/04, 04:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hi Jason glad your here. My parents went to germany in the 80's beutiful country. The M3 would be a special editon so an upgraded 05 Mach maybe would be a better test. The idea of testing and aiming for a M3 in the base GT stang is awesome. B)
Old 7/26/04, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Greywolf@July 26, 2004, 5:44 PM
Hi Jason glad your here. My parents went to germany in the 80's beutiful country. The M3 would be a special editon so an upgraded 05 Mach maybe would be a better test. The idea of testing and aiming for a M3 in the base GT stang is awesome. B)
NO...a boss....Mach 1s are for the stop lights, Boss's are for the twisties... B)
Old 7/26/04, 06:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dan+July 26, 2004, 11:07 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ July 26, 2004, 11:07 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Tone@July 26, 2004, 1:00 PM
It's great that Ford benchmarked the M3 in terms of handling but as someone else posted a half a second on a road racing track does still represent a significant time difference. A difference made up in slightly longer braking and slightly slower cornering.

But, the M3 is the very top of the performance line of the 3-series. In terms of price and intention, the Cobra is a closer car in the Mustang line. The GT is closer to something like a 330 with the sports suspension package. I'd guess if the GT is within a half a second of the M3, it's probably as fast or faster than the 330 and still a ton cheaper.

If the ride is on the acceptable side of sporty, I think a lot of people looking for a cool, sporty car will be very happy with the GT. And it's quickness bodes very well for the forthcoming SVT and other SE versions.
Keep in mind, the M3 is world class handling at twice the price of the 05. 0.5sec is not small, but it isn't 5 seconds.

I don't think any of us expected the new GT to take an M3 down on a road course.

The 05 GT would blow the doors off any other BMW other than the M5 on the same course IMO. [/b][/quote]
I'm wondering if this reference to the M3 is what Ford ment when they said the Cobra is being benchmarked against the M3? I just figured they were talking about the upcoming M models and not the current one. If the GT is .5 away the Cobra may be able to blow it out of the water and not cost too much.
Old 7/26/04, 06:25 PM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It was against the current M3 (333hp V6)
If you remember the pic from Mustang Enthus. Mag.

mkoesel has one...and absolutely loves it.
Speaking of which...haven't seen him around in ages...

Old 7/26/04, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Quoted from Car & Driver:

Cobra Aspires To Be M Fighter

Phil Martens has put his fingerprints all over the new Mustang. At the helm of Mazda until March 2002, when he became Ford’s group vice-president for product creation, Martens helped engineer the 2005 Mustang’s move from Ford’s assembly plant in Dearborn, Michigan, to the Ford/Mazda plant in nearby Flat Rock. There, the Mustang takes advantage of Mazda technology for better body assembly and quality control.

Martens also has an idea of where the next SVT Cobra is headed: “We have to have a Cobra that is world-class level. The old Fox platform couldn’t deliver that; this one can.†Expect a bigger, broader separation between Mustang GTs and SVT Cobras, he says. BMW’s M cars are serving as inspiration; hence, the next Cobra will have to have an independent rear suspension, he says.

“It has to. The expectation in this category is for a much more refined product.†Also likely: supercharging and a substantial increase from the current Cobra’s 390 horsepower. Ford has set no firm price ceiling, Martens says. “The only restriction is that you have to build it on the [Mustang] line, and the quality has to be there.â€

And two of my friends have M3's. One has an E36, and the other a brand new E46. There is an 1/8 strip not too far from where I live, so once my GT is broken in and rolling on 275's, we're off to the strip.
Old 7/26/04, 06:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

How much would the Mustang improve with just wider tires on the road course. 255's 275's? I need to start reading that Grassroots Racing mag.
Old 7/26/04, 06:46 PM

Brad, Dan, and Steve:
Thanks for the site and thanks for all the great information. I've been watching the site for a while and this is my first post. I'm currently stuck in Iraq and although I've already ordered a 05 GT through a military sales guy in germany, I've had very little to go on besides the order guide. You guys have really cleared up a lot of questions for me and I appreciate all the time and effort you've put in to keeping the rest of us informed. I would still in the dark on a lot of issues if it wasn't for this great site and all of those that have contributed to it. I'll see you all on the road in my new stang when I get back to the states.
S/F
Ryan
Old 7/26/04, 06:50 PM

if there is a .5 second difference on the track that means that power must be VERY similiar and that a tire swap will even things up. Remember that the M3 is going to have very sticky tires (ala Z06 or EVO) straight from the factory.
Old 7/26/04, 06:56 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dan+July 25, 2004, 9:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dan @ July 25, 2004, 9:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX@July 25, 2004, 10:23 PM
1. No more bull from Ford about the lack of IRS. I was sick of hearing "99% of Mustang owners are hardcore drag racers. Nice to hear them confirm what we knew all along. It came down to cost.
Its not so much that it was bull, but that it was only PART of the whole story. Of course, the durability of a live axle setup is unmatched and hard core enthusiasts need that strength, but it was also a cost and feasibility decision.

- the fact of the matter is (from what we were told), IRS could not be shoehorned in without sacrificing the rear seat room.
- the available Lincoln LS IRS was not strong enough to handle the torque put out by the mustang

But the most important thing that Mr. Thai-Tang wanted us to get across to you guys is:

WAIT TILL YOU DRIVE IT

He is completely confident that the 3-link live axle setup that has been put into the 05 will exceed everyone's expectations. Listening to his presentation, you'd be convinced of this as well.

I mean, Mr. Thai-Tang mentioned that the 05 ran a road course back to back with the BMW M3 and lap times differed by only 0.5 seconds!!

Lets wait to judge this car. I for one am excited to see what she can do. [/b][/quote]
Ive looked at it, and I have a LOT of experience with different levels of technology in cars(owned and restored everything from 67 firebirds to 76 260z's to 82 rx7's to 93 rx7 tts, to each version of the fox, etc etc etc) and I will NOT miss IRS one bit in this car. I wouldnt trade it for the positive power application on demand of a 31-spline non-binding 3 link live axle, smooth and instant, unlike wheelhop and other IRS issues with a lot of torque. It never would have reached the strength and sophistication needed for V8 power and stayed under $30k. I like how HTT put it: 3v 300hp or IRS, choose. Looks like the next SVT is a two seater.
Old 7/26/04, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by Boomer@July 26, 2004, 6:28 PM
It was against the current M3 (333hp V6)
If you remember the pic from Mustang Enthus. Mag.

mkoesel has one...and absolutely loves it.
Speaking of which...haven't seen him around in ages...

That test they did against the M3 was in the wet. Look at the picture above. Wet track surface will equalize power advantage and highlight traction and tire compound differences. I'm not challenging the 0.5 sec delta but we should be careful about drawing any conclusions about HP.
Old 7/26/04, 06:59 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dragstar@July 26, 2004, 7:53 PM
if there is a .5 second difference on the track that means that power must be VERY similiar and that a tire swap will even things up. Remember that the M3 is going to have very sticky tires (ala Z06 or EVO) straight from the factory.
It means it will dust the 350
Old 7/26/04, 07:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Dan@July 26, 2004, 12:07 PM
Keep in mind, the M3 is world class handling at twice the price of the 05. 0.5sec is not small, but it isn't 5 seconds.

I don't think any of us expected the new GT to take an M3 down on a road course.

The 05 GT would blow the doors off any other BMW other than the M5 on the same course IMO.
.5 seconds is FANTASTIC are you kidding me??? .5 second stinks in the quarter mile between sub 10 sec cars, not around a road course. How long is a lap there for cars of the stangs level? 1:40?

Heres a little perspective, the autocrosses with the local mustang/vette clubs we do are around a 1/4 mile banked oval with cones, the times between the slowest stang and the fastest vette vary over 8 seconds total time for 3 laps each(.75 miles, running start, nothing gets over 100mph on the track). The SVTF runs with the fastest stangs, and there is no way in HE11 that it would come anywhere near an M3 on a road track like road atlanta. .5 second has me skeptical, thats amazing if true.
Old 7/26/04, 08:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mr-mstng@July 26, 2004, 11:58 AM
The fact that they are looking at the M3 in comparison shows how well this car will handle.
I could not agree more. 25K for a MUSTANG that laps a road course within half a second of the WORLD'S FASTEST BMW (recall the Z8 and M5 are out of commission for the time being, so I "think" the M3 is the fastest Bimmer currently available...can anyone confirm?)

Not to mention the zoom for the dollar aspect The M3 is, for all intents and purposes, twice the price of a GT ("base" BMW's of any model, particularly the M cars, are about as easy to find as Iraqi WMDs. My buddy dropped well into the mid 50's for one with the sequential manual trans)

I am so stoked, but the anticipation is paralyzing...could October get here any slower?! :bang:

Quick Reply: EXCLUSIVE: DAN & GALAXIE INTERVIEW HAU THAI TANG