2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

EXCLUSIVE: DAN & GALAXIE INTERVIEW HAU THAI TANG

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/04, 02:19 AM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have got to say that any car sold in that colour should have clear turn signal lenses. the orange on the green is disgusting.......

BTW, Good work Dan and Steve, that video was excellent!
Old 7/26/04, 04:18 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 428CJ+July 25, 2004, 10:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (428CJ @ July 25, 2004, 10:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Dan@July 25, 2004, 9:58 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-BlackRiderX
@July 25, 2004, 10:23 PM
1. No more bull from Ford about the lack of IRS. I was sick of hearing "99% of Mustang owners are hardcore drag racers. Nice to hear them confirm what we knew all along. It came down to cost.

Its not so much that it was bull, but that it was only PART of the whole story. Of course, the durability of a live axle setup is unmatched and hard core enthusiasts need that strength, but it was also a cost and feasibility decision.

- the fact of the matter is (from what we were told), IRS could not be shoehorned in without sacrificing the rear seat room.
- the available Lincoln LS IRS was not strong enough to handle the torque put out by the mustang

But the most important thing that Mr. Thai-Tang wanted us to get across to you guys is:

WAIT TILL YOU DRIVE IT

He is completely confident that the 3-link live axle setup that has been put into the 05 will exceed everyone's expectations. Listening to his presentation, you'd be convinced of this as well.

I mean, Mr. Thai-Tang mentioned that the 05 ran a road course back to back with the BMW M3 and lap times differed by only 0.5 seconds!!

Lets wait to judge this car. I for one am excited to see what she can do.
This is good to hear, but .5 seconds is a long time..and, if you consider, that the 05 GT probably has more power, and identical weight, that means every bit of that .5 second lead was because of handling and breaking...

The M3 is a 45k car and it better handle better! Especially since it has IRS..So this really is good news...

BMW M3: 333HP, 262 ft-lb

Curb weight, 3460lbs..Incredibly enough, it seems like that is the exact weight of the GT..Fast-autos.net says the Mach 1 weighs 3420lbs, so of course add the 40lbs, and you have the GT weight.

Here are more times given by fast-autos.net...Can we expect the same times from the GT?

0-60 mph: 4.7 sec
0-100 mph: 11.6 sec
Quarter Mile: 13.2 sec @ 109 mph
Skidpad: .91g
Top Speed: 155 mph (limited)
Braking, 60-0 mph: 112 ft
Slalom Speed: 65.1 mph

[/b][/quote]
M3 is more like $55-60k.
Old 7/26/04, 05:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many thanks to dan and steve for there great work - sorry we didnt meet up

kev
Old 7/26/04, 05:55 AM
Queen Of Nascar

Thanks for the great info. You guys Rock!!
Old 7/26/04, 05:56 AM

Awesome. With all this wait and no real news lately, I was losing my faith. I was actually considering another car. Then BAM! I saw this and I was floored! Good work guys, Legend Lime looks great, but I think I need something with a lil more punch. It's still an awesome color and I have to wait until they have a couple of cars on the lots so I can really see these colors. I still and undecided, I've narrowed it down to 4 colors. I hope there's a couple of cars driving around soon so I can make my decision much quicker.
Old 7/26/04, 06:02 AM

M3 is more like $55-60k.
Base M3 is 43k

This is good to hear, but .5 seconds is a long time..and, if you consider, that the 05 GT probably has more power
I would not say the GT has more power, don't be fooled by the 262 ft-lb. The M3 is all about performance.

that means every bit of that .5 second lead was because of handling and breaking
I would have to agree with you on this, BMW prides itself on the M3 track performance. That being said, for those that have not had the pleasure of driving/riding in a M3, I will tell you that you do pay for the performance, not in dollars, but in your hide... It is NOT a comfortable ride, you feel every bump in the road, because this car is made to run on the track. This is where the 05 Stang will be oh so much better. We are going to get a high performance vehicle, that you can be comfortable in on a day to day basis.

BTW,
This being my first post I would like to say HI I have been lurking for about 3 months now.

Background info.
Name is Jason
Ordered an 05 Mineral Grey GT Premium, Dark Charcoal, shaker 500, Rim upgrade, with every other option that came with it.

Oh yeah... did I mention that I live in Germany!!! yes Germany, so I will be reporting back on how the car handles at speed. Meaning cruising at 110-120 or so.. This was one of my main concerns when I was buying this car. Right now I drive a BMW 525 and it is normal to drive it 110+ MPH for an extended time period(1 hour +). I am just concerned about how the car will handle at higher speeds. I know that this post is probably not the place to answer that question, but if you know or have any ideas, plz let me know.

Anyway,
I enjoy reading post everyday here, and want to thank Brad for letting his love of Mustangs be shared and in doing so letting this site grow and grow..
Old 7/26/04, 06:27 AM
Cobra Member

I am not into Green, but man, Green looks great on that car!
I am very happy about the Titanium and 18 inch wheels for 2006. But, its going to be hard for me to wait till 2006 for a Stang GT or SE. But, I will try.
Old 7/26/04, 06:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

excellent interview, excellent pics and awesome videos. legend lime is lovely thanks guys, great work
Old 7/26/04, 06:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by USA-Adam@July 25, 2004, 11:54 PM
428CJ: You think the new Mustang GT has 333 hp +? That's a bit optimistic I think. Expect 300, if it has more ... great.
I do know it has 320 lb-ft of TQ, and that means alot more when it comes to acceleration. The M3, only has 262TQ....
Old 7/26/04, 06:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GreyGT@July 26, 2004, 7:05 AM
M3 is more like $55-60k.
Base M3 is 43k

This is good to hear, but .5 seconds is a long time..and, if you consider, that the 05 GT probably has more power
I would not say the GT has more power, don't be fooled by the 262 ft-lb. The M3 is all about performance.

that means every bit of that .5 second lead was because of handling and breaking
I would have to agree with you on this, BMW prides itself on the M3 track performance. That being said, for those that have not had the pleasure of driving/riding in a M3, I will tell you that you do pay for the performance, not in dollars, but in your hide... It is NOT a comfortable ride, you feel every bump in the road, because this car is made to run on the track. This is where the 05 Stang will be oh so much better. We are going to get a high performance vehicle, that you can be comfortable in on a day to day basis.

BTW,
This being my first post I would like to say HI I have been lurking for about 3 months now.

Background info.
Name is Jason
Ordered an 05 Mineral Grey GT Premium, Dark Charcoal, shaker 500, Rim upgrade, with every other option that came with it.

Oh yeah... did I mention that I live in Germany!!! yes Germany, so I will be reporting back on how the car handles at speed. Meaning cruising at 110-120 or so.. This was one of my main concerns when I was buying this car. Right now I drive a BMW 525 and it is normal to drive it 110+ MPH for an extended time period(1 hour +). I am just concerned about how the car will handle at higher speeds. I know that this post is probably not the place to answer that question, but if you know or have any ideas, plz let me know.

Anyway,
I enjoy reading post everyday here, and want to thank Brad for letting his love of Mustangs be shared and in doing so letting this site grow and grow..
Welcome to the forums Jason! I have ALWAYS wanted to go to Germany!! When I start college this fall, I will probably take German classes so I can learn the languate..

As far as the M3, I was fooled by the "262Tq" I have not seen real world times by this car..I guess it's underrated?
Old 7/26/04, 06:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

thanks so much for taking the time to put together that interview. much thanks to everyone involved.
Old 7/26/04, 06:50 AM
Bullitt Member

hehehe - the second laser red GT is me - the one in front of me has my old Y2K Cobra R hood and Cobra bumper cover - i parted out the car and i am returning it from lease this fri - back to my Cobra

b4 my GT was stripped of all of its mods:

Old 7/26/04, 06:55 AM
GT Member

Lovin that Legend Lime!!!
(Now that I have seen it on the car.)

Awesome surprise!!! MSF romps!!!
Old 7/26/04, 07:04 AM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Arboc@July 26, 2004, 6:04 AM
many thanks to dan and steve for there great work - sorry we didnt meet up

kev
Kev,

thanks again for the contact at GHMA,

funny we were standing there taking shots at car and hearing the exhausts and you just drove by... haha
Old 7/26/04, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

close encounters
Old 7/26/04, 07:39 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Thanks guys for posting!

Lime would be my color of choice if I were going to purchase an '05! Looks great.!!
Old 7/26/04, 10:01 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Great job you 2 goobs! Way to represent the place.
Old 7/26/04, 10:24 AM

Just wanted to add another thank you to the guys for a great interview and video.
The first car I bought while in high school was a (5 yr old at the time) legend lime
67 GTA fastback. I think I'm having a futuristic flashback right now! Thanks again.
Old 7/26/04, 10:57 AM
V6 Member

It's great that Ford benchmarked the M3 in terms of handling but as someone else posted a half a second on a road racing track does still represent a significant time difference. A difference made up in slightly longer braking and slightly slower cornering.

But, the M3 is the very top of the performance line of the 3-series. In terms of price and intention, the Cobra is a closer car in the Mustang line. The GT is closer to something like a 330 with the sports suspension package. I'd guess if the GT is within a half a second of the M3, it's probably as fast or faster than the 330 and still a ton cheaper.

If the ride is on the acceptable side of sporty, I think a lot of people looking for a cool, sporty car will be very happy with the GT. And it's quickness bodes very well for the forthcoming SVT and other SE versions.
Old 7/26/04, 11:04 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Originally posted by Tone@July 26, 2004, 1:00 PM
It's great that Ford benchmarked the M3 in terms of handling but as someone else posted a half a second on a road racing track does still represent a significant time difference. A difference made up in slightly longer braking and slightly slower cornering.

But, the M3 is the very top of the performance line of the 3-series. In terms of price and intention, the Cobra is a closer car in the Mustang line. The GT is closer to something like a 330 with the sports suspension package. I'd guess if the GT is within a half a second of the M3, it's probably as fast or faster than the 330 and still a ton cheaper.

If the ride is on the acceptable side of sporty, I think a lot of people looking for a cool, sporty car will be very happy with the GT. And it's quickness bodes very well for the forthcoming SVT and other SE versions.
Keep in mind, the M3 is world class handling at twice the price of the 05. 0.5sec is not small, but it isn't 5 seconds.

I don't think any of us expected the new GT to take an M3 down on a road course.

The 05 GT would blow the doors off any other BMW other than the M5 on the same course IMO.

Quick Reply: EXCLUSIVE: DAN & GALAXIE INTERVIEW HAU THAI TANG