2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Engine break in

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/07, 07:41 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Engine break in

hey guys, Im going to be getting a new engine/car here soon, and I wanted to know, what do I have to do to break in a new engine?
Old 9/17/07, 08:10 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing I saw in the owners manual was to vary the engine RPM's for the first 1500 miles. I've been doing that!

Some guys also do an oil and filter change early. I'll probably do mine after the first 1500 miles.........

Originally Posted by StangMahn
hey guys, Im going to be getting a new engine/car here soon, and I wanted to know, what do I have to do to break in a new engine?
Old 9/17/07, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
brakes
A series of controlled moderate speed stops (15-20 Stops from 30-mph w/30 sec cool down) is required to properly "burnish" or break-in a new set of pads. During this initial stopping period, the process of lining transfer from the disc pads to the rotor surface helps condition the rotor surface to properly seat the brake pads. All pads are cured and all pads need to be burnished.

clutch
Yes. It Is Recommended To Properly Seat In The New Pressure Plate &Amp; Disc Assembly To Assure Good Clutch Performance. Centerforce Recommends 450-500 Miles Of In Town Stop And Go Type Of Easy Driving Before Applying Full Power. If Your Driving Consists Of Mainly Highway Type Use, The Break In Period Should Be Longer Than The 450-500 Miles. If The Break In Period Is Not Properly Followed, Clutch Life And Performance Can Be Sacrificed.

rear gears
What is the break-in proceedure for a new set of gears?
All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles it is best to let the differential cool before proceeding. I recommend at least 500 miles before towing. I also recommend towing for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and letting the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. This may seem unnecessary but I have seen many differentials damaged from being loaded before the gear set was broken in.
I also recommend changing the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set.

These were the 3 items covered in the mag. Engine break in was not covered.

From what I have read/copy and pasted here about engine break in.

Drive normally but not a continuous high speeds for the first 500 miles. Occasional quick bursts of speed followed by quick deceleration during this period, is beneficial. AVOID LUGGING!!! TRIPS AND TOWING are not recommended until after 1000 miles.
NOTE:
Applying loads to the engine for short periods of time causes increased ring pressure against cylinder walls and helps to seat the rings. This is especially important because you are "BREAKING-IN" the engine with heavy duty oils. The rapid deceleration increases vacuum and gives extra lubrication to the piston and other assemblies.

copy and pasted from different sites

Old 9/17/07, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everything you need to know:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I used this on my Mustang and my Ducati with excellent results.
Old 9/17/07, 12:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Drive it like you stole it!!! The rings will seat quickly and the tolerances on these engines are very tight, most people say the majority of the wear and tear to fit the parts takes place in the first 50 miles!

I drove mine out of the dealer parking lot like a NASCAR pit and haven't looked back! But do change the oil after about 1500mi to clear out any gunk.

-Darth
Old 9/17/07, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

your going to get alot of diffrent answers since it seems, like when you should change your oil for the first time, has no real basis in reality.

BUT, to be on the safe side, just do what your owners manual tells you to do. Personally I just drove my car normally til the break in period was over(and buy normaly I dont mean doing burn outs and donuts like I do now)
Old 9/17/07, 07:58 PM
GT Member

drive it like how you want, the pcm learns then and it has a warrinty for a bit.