2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early problems with my 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 11/15/04, 01:53 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had my 05 GT for 3 weeks now and already have many issues with the car. First, let me say that my car was one of the cars that Ford randomly picked for quality control purposes. A document from the factory indicated that they had put 25 miles on the car to make sure everything was good. This delayed the delivery, but the car still has issues. The 5-speed transmission chatters loudly on accel, especially in 2nd gear. The rear end howls terribly on decel. The throw-out bearing is noisey until the car warms up. The traction control doesn't seem to work at all. :scratch:

I've contacted Ford, but so far have not gotten a reply. :bang: Has anyone else had issues with there 05? A cool car, but it is louder than my 69 Boss 302 with typical Detroit Locker noise.
Old 11/15/04, 02:09 PM
FR500 Member

The only problem I have had is a high-pitched squeak coming from the brakes when I brake. If I brake very light or pretty hard, no squeaking... but when I brake normally it squeaks. Pretty loud too. Kinda embarrassing being a brand new car. Anyone else having this problem... and any ideas on what to do?
Old 11/15/04, 02:26 PM
Cobra Member

Try and determine if it is the front or rear brakes, and have the dealer replace the pads. I've never had a Mustang make any brake noise.
Old 11/15/04, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Retro GT, have you spoken with your dealer yet? I'd make them my first contact.

Jason
Old 11/15/04, 02:32 PM
FR500 Member

Good idea, lodom... and will do. Thanks for the advice. Other than that... no problems at all with this car... knock on wood.
Old 11/15/04, 02:38 PM
Banned

You guys have had the car for less than a couple months ... bring it back to the dealership and have them look at it ... this is the reason that dealerships exist after all.
Old 11/15/04, 02:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

I hear the whine a little on mine when I am decelerating but its hardly noticable. The dash squeaks up next to the windshield, plastic touches, when the car is cold inside. It quits as soon as the cabin warms up a though. I only have 180 miles on mine though. I have been working alot lately. Oh well, It helps make the payments.
Old 11/15/04, 02:55 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale@November 15, 2004, 3:41 PM
You guys have had the car for less than a couple months ... bring it back to the dealership and have them look at it ... this is the reason that dealerships exist after all.
I am a little weary of having my new car that was 'quality controlled' for 25 miles already, worked on by Ford. I am an ASE Master Certified auto technician by trade, so I know quite a bit about the skill level of todays auto technicians. A truly competent technician is very rare these days. I don't mean to rip on anyone, I'm just stating the facts. Unless I come upon the rare mechanic who is as meticulous as I am, this car will never be the same. The transmission will need to come out, and at minimum, the differential will need a new ring and pinion (and set up properly).

If it comes down to it, I will purchase the parts and fix the car myself.

This car should have never been released from the factory, especially with all the hype on how this car will not be released until it is right. Even with the additional quality control checks, they missed the boat on this one.

These noises are not just a little noise, they are obvious defects. I have 292 miles on it now. It's stored in the garage with a car cover over it, enclosed in a car capsule. It should be my pride and joy... so far, it's not.
Old 11/15/04, 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey retro

I feel your pain, but maybe when it left Ford it was OK.

Those yoyo's at the rail yards & dealerships beat the crap out of these cars. One good hole shot at 6k will ruin everything you just described. Remember the pic of black GT crashed?

Hope you get it resolved quickly.

PS

I use to own & operate an ASE certified shop. I have a lot of respect for you guys.
Old 11/15/04, 03:19 PM

acadian,

brake squeal comes from the pads vibrating in the caliper. Ever drag you hand across a table at the right speed and it start to make noise. better yet, imagine a kid about to go down a pool slide that is completely dry, what happens? we've all heard that sound I'm sure, squeallllll... splash! well to get to the point. The factory may have not secured the pads tightly enough. There is stuff you can buy at the auto parts store to put on the back of the pads to keep it from vibrating in the caliper. You don't need new pads you just need the ford technician to secure them properly in the caliper.

I just tell myself I'm driving an endurance car with Hi-Po brake pads.

good luck
Old 11/15/04, 04:06 PM
GT Member

Ok, we have to learn to sepreate problem car noises from normal car noises. Correct me if I'm wrong but dont all cars make some sort of noise?
Old 11/15/04, 04:58 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Grantsdale@November 15, 2004, 3:41 PM
You're missing the point. X-tra 25 miles for quality control... :bang:

I more than most know that there are some noises inherint to some cars. These noises are unacceptable. My old Muncie 21s' and 22s' sounded like the new 5-speed. And all they had between the interior and the transmission was a thin rubber boot. The 05 with all its sound insulation is still louder.

3 days and still no response from Ford. :scratch: Wouldn't you think they would want to investigate this concern to see if they have an issue or not?
Old 11/15/04, 05:02 PM
Cobra Member

I forgot to mention the automatic GT I drove made the gear noise when decellerating from about 40 mph. It didn't do it at all speeds, but it was noticeable and I would have found it annoying had I purchased the car. It wasn't normal by any means. My '99 GT was almost silent in comparison. I'm beginning to wonder if the problem is more widespread and whoever is setting up the rear gears isn't doing a quality job.

I'd like to know what the estimated cause of the noise is? The biggest problem would be getting Ford to admit it isn't normal and waiting for the Ford regional engineer to come around to authorize any repairs. I'm just stating a worst case scenario, because this is what it took to get Ford to replace the torque convertor on my '99.
Old 11/15/04, 05:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by Retro GT@November 15, 2004, 6:01 PM
3 days and still no response from Ford. :scratch: Wouldn't you think they would want to investigate this concern to see if they have an issue or not?
That's problably because they expect most people to work problems through the dealership not through direct contact.
Old 11/15/04, 05:05 PM
Cobra Member

That is a good point. Ford is going to have you go through the dealership and their normal problem resolution steps.
Old 11/15/04, 05:50 PM
Bullitt Member

If you are an ASE Master Certified auto technician, then I expect you know what you are talking about. On the other hand, if the QC guys drove it for 25 miles and gave it the approval stamp, it leads me to believe that the sounds are normal. I guess the only way to tell would be for you to test drive another stang and see if it sounds the same as yours.
Old 11/15/04, 06:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Did a road trip Sunday (About 450 miles....mostly 70 mph I-90) , got 24.8 MPG BTW B) 1200 miles on it. Anyway I noticed the hood "Shaking" right up about 6 inches from windshield, actually more of a flutter...on both sides. I don't know if you would call it a "Problem" but
Old 11/15/04, 06:31 PM
GT Member

I would really hope Ford people are not as insulting as GM was to me.

Back in 85 I bought a new Z28. It was a total rattle trap within 500 miles. Then I noticed overspray on the left rear tire. I bought the car as a new car and found it had been damaged at some point.

I had to wait for some regional service guy to come to town. I took the sales manager and the service guy for a ride. The car was a total rattle mess and it was doing it's thing with gusto.

The sales manager said (to the reg guy in the back seat) - "I don't hear any rattles do you" - the reg service guy said "no I don't hear anything". They had to talk loud over the rattles and still would not admit it.

I had one out - I was offered a trade and took it. The next car was a good car and I stopped bleeding after a few months. I took it in the shorts for about three grand.

None of my cars have ever been back to the dealer for anything. I would only take a car (or motorcycle) back to a dealer if the engine fell out and got ran over by the 18 wheeler behind me.

I would rather just do things myself - then I know what has been done.

In 94 I took my new motorcycle in for its (manditory) 500 mile check up. The service manager said - "but it only has 2 miles on it" - I said "you are looking at the trip meter"

They did their 50000000000000000000000000000 check point service on my bike. I got home and checked my battery - it was bone dry.

Too bad I just can't buy my next car at WallyWorld.
Old 11/15/04, 08:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Ron9@November 15, 2004, 7:34 PM
None of my cars have ever been back to the dealer for anything. I would only take a car (or motorcycle) back to a dealer if the engine fell out and got ran over by the 18 wheeler behind me.
I don't believe thats covered by the warranty. It's not the manufacturers fault that an 18 wheeler was behind you.
Old 11/15/04, 08:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by Retro GT@November 15, 2004, 3:58 PM
This car should have never been released from the factory, especially with all the hype on how this car will not be released until it is right. Even with the additional quality control checks, they missed the boat on this one.
Retro GT

This might be a stupid question, but did you test drive the vehicle before taking delivery? If you did, you obviously missed it as well. If not, that may be something everyone should consider doing before papers are signed and money changes hands.

Quick Reply: Early problems with my 05 GT