2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

The DOWNSIDE of your mods...

Search this Thread

Old 6/9/05, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by StangNut@April 10, 2005, 6:40 AM
HorseownerI would think gas mileage would be a downside to 4.10's.
Yeah, what was the gas mileage comparo after installing the 4.10s. Also, where did you get your hood pins? I plan on installing those on my 05, since I am dressing it up like a Boss 302.
Old 6/9/05, 03:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Horseowner,

On your C & L Intake, that's very odd. Even after extended runs my intake only gets warm to the touch, but not hot. I can lay my hand on it without pain.

05stangGT,

There are catbacks for less. See this thread. I have it installed on mine and I am very happy with it.

Happy motoring!
Old 6/9/05, 03:48 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by rrobello@June 9, 2005, 2:39 PM

05GT-O.C.D. how is painted calipers rice...many performance cars come with them painted like the Ford GT you have three color choices

The ricers tend to do it and it's for looks only. Like I said, just a little bit. I wasn't attacking anyone's mods, I did it to my own car. Just giving an upside and a dowside as per the topic.
Old 6/9/05, 04:15 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

no i read you right...only a little ricey....but its the only thing they get right...exept they paint them fugly colors keep small rims in front of them and even smaller brakes and light it all up with some neon underglow....

the colored calipers is a nice look on cars and is done on all types exotics and sports cars and race cars the ricers just try to pose and get it wrong...dont be looking at it as a downside paint them and show em off with pride.
Old 6/9/05, 04:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

(GTI) Great Thread Idea

Mods to my V6 so far...

1- Aftermarket dask kit
Pro- Looks great
Con- I messed up the alignment on 1 piece...It drives me crazy !!!
2- Small Foglights
Pro - I really like the way it looks. Has the 67 GTA look to it.
Con - I haven't been able to wire them up yet. Not too sure on how to do it...Its driving me crazy !!
3- Tri bar Ponies on the fenders.
Pro - They Look great. I notice they are on the 06 Pony package...darn plagerizers !!!
Con - Their a pain in the **** to clean...It Drives me crazy !!
4- GT Muffler
Pros - I like the new sound and the chrome tip looks great !!
Cons - The tip is hitting the bumper so I have to fix that. Also, I think because of the tip, it makes a noise when I hit a bump...like a muffler hitting the bottom of the car...go figure...It drive me nuts !!! I have to put the other muffler and pipes on (dual exhaust) but Im out of $$$$...It Drives me crazy !!!

And of course the costs of all the mods.
Louvers,CAI and painting the rear panel cherry black are next on my list...Just don't tell the wife...She drives me CRAZY !!!
Old 6/9/05, 04:41 PM

Steeda Strut Tower Brace
Pros: Looks nice
Cons: Unless you take corners hard, it has no noticible effect

UPR Round A/C **** Kit
Pros: Looks good during the day
Cons: Can see the light through them @ night

UPR Billet Window Switch Plates
Pros: Looks good if you don't touch them
Cons: Scrtch if you even look at them wrong & were later removed

Ramps (not really a mod)
Pros: Good for rear lift
Cons: Front facia hits ramps

I have been very happy with the remaining mods. I have AutoMeter gauges (boost, fuel pressure & rich/lean) sitting in a pillar pod that will monitor my ProCharger being installed next week.
Old 6/27/05, 11:26 AM
Cobra R Member

C&L CAI

CONS: Latest tune revisions remove the rev limit options. Lucky me, I have rev 12 burned to disk and can put this back on if I go to the track.

Some one said that it gets too hot, not true. Only after turning the engine off or when not in motion, does the aluminium become a heat sink. The temp of the engine compartment will sink into the unit. The positive of this may be to actually cool the air under the hood since the aluminium transfers temp. When the car is moving, no issues.

Bassani exhaust.

CONS: Cost

Mine does not rattle at all, either.
Old 8/22/06, 03:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Found This Post And Figured I'd Bring It Back From The Dead.

FLOWMASTERS
PRO: SOUNDS BETTER
CON: NOT QUITE INSIDE THE CAR ANYMORE AND WILL NEVER SOUND LIKE THE SN95 STANGS.

CDC DUCKTAIL
PRO:LOOKS AWESOME
CON:HOLES IN MY CAR AND I KIND OF LIKE THE STREETSCENE ONE BETTER EXCEPT FOR THE 3RD BRAKELIGHT HOLE.

SEQUENTIAL TAILLIGHTS
PRO:LOOKS COOL
CON:SCARED SOMEONE WILL HAVE A DELAYED REACTION AND REAR END ME.

SHAKER HOOD
PRO:LOOKS COOL GIVES CAR UNIQUE LOOK
CON:CAN'T HAVE A FRONT STABLIZER BAR, THE COOL FORD ENGINE COVER, OR SALEEN SUPERCHARGER. TO MUCH PLASTIC UNDER THE HOOD NOW AND I HAVE A PERMANENT HOLE IN MY HOOD.

I'M 100% HAPPY WITH ALL MY OTHER MODS.
Old 8/22/06, 04:46 PM
V6 Member

mods

My mods:

Magnaflow exhaust: Nice tuned sound and a bit lower pitched grumble than the stockers. Downside is they 're a bit too quiet if you're after that old school sound.

CDC Light Bar: Great looking addition. Very high quality and easily installed. No downsides IMO.

C&L Intake and Brenspeed Tune: Best money spent. Get's rid of that annoying throttle lag and now this thing rips! Downside is the heat issue.

Eibach lowering springs and Steeda Panhard bar: Gotta get the panhard bar if you lower it! My left to right rear alignment was off nearly a half inch after installing the springs. The stance is awesome. The downsides are that it can get costly to do this. Also, the ride suffers...especially running with 20s.

Saleen short throw shift adapter: Don't buy one of those overpriced full kits! This is the best "40 bucks" I spent. Really makes a big difference in the throw and uses the stock shifter.

Cali Dream Hood: Bought it on ebay from Hoods4Sale. Wow, what can I say. A LOT of work! Quality was poor. Had over 20 hours in it to make it right. But, after all is done, this hood looks AWESOME. If you're looking to buy this hood, you'd better have a lot of time on your hands and a good knowledge of body work to make it work. Another problem is that it shakes terribly. Will probably have to put in hood pins to correct it.

That's it. Next mod is Tokico D-Specs hoping it'll improve the ride.
Old 8/22/06, 05:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I only wish that I would have never found this website! I would probably have another $6000 in my pocket~
Old 8/22/06, 05:29 PM
FR500 Member

ok well i put my pypes x pipe on...i hate it...it squeaks and i know theres an exhaust leak thats why its making it sound funny. its raspy and i have the flowmaster axle back but i think im going with a whole new setup
Old 8/22/06, 05:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Wow, old thread back from the dead...

My $0.02:

FRPP Strut Tower Brace
PRO: Looks cool as hell if/when the hood is up.
CON: Made no perceptible difference in handling or stability.

APC "mostly" clear turn signal lamps
PRO: Was supposed to eliminate the "out of place" amber plastic from the front of my car.
CON: Still has an amber plastic reflector in it per new DOT regulations and no one carries the "old" all-clear version any more. Wasted my $$$ on this.

Saleen HIDs
PRO: Lights up the road great, looks stock, cool to have "real" HIDs.
CON: Freaking things cost me $1100. And then several weeks later Saleen reduced the price to around $800.

Gentek compass/temp/Homelink rear view mirror
PRO: Cool display telling you how hot it is outside and what direction you are going. Not having a garage door clicker anymore rocks.
CON: $300 for a rear view mirror??? I must be nutz. Also, I'm a guy, I never get lost. What do I need a compass for?!?
Old 8/22/06, 06:39 PM
Team Mustang Source

rags,
was that a pypes off road x? Or their new street legal x?
Old 8/22/06, 08:00 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I screwed up my window swich plates with the UPR covers(which scratch easily)
decided I didn't like them(didn't look as good as everyone thinks)and the 3m tape I used screwed up the plastic. I painted them but you can still see the marks even after sanding

MGW cup holder bezel
pro-looks awesome
con-made cup holders smaller so now can't fit a lot of cups and getting garage door holder out of the small one is a PIA

Jet TBS
pro-helps with hesitation
con-won't fit with new Ford cover I just purchased

Car cover
pro-keeps car nice and clean and protected from sun and ****
con-I am obsessed with keeping car clean just so I can use car cover at work. If it rains,I'm screwed also the car cover has to be air dried when it gets wet
Old 8/22/06, 09:24 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I only wish that I would have never found this website! I would probably have another $6000 in my pocket~
Okay......I agree....Blame it on Brad!! (It's fun though ain't it!)
Old 8/22/06, 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

Old thread, but a good one!

I'll start with my V6:

CDC light bar w/ Webelectric switch
Pros- looks great, adds an extra brake light.
Cons- taller people have to watch their noggin when getting in, when the top is down the brake light shines right in their faces.

Headrest wraps with pony embroidery
Pros- look great, easy to install/ remove.
Cons- not cheap.

Aluminum HVAC control *****
Pros- much nicer feel than stock.
Cons- won't work on my 07!! Temp **** has no stop on it like stock, spins all the way around. Blue lights look green at night!

Pony floor mats
Pros- SOOOOO much better than the stock red mats!
Cons- none.

Aluminum door pins
Pros- look great, easy install.
Cons- none.

GT grille conversion (eBay)
Pros- Love those GT grille lights!
Cons- PITA to install. Doesn't fit in the stock opening very cleanly.

GT dual exhaust
Pros- sounded really good! Duals look great, no more single pipe out back!
Cons- on a full tank of gas the pipe would hit the rear axle when going over bumps.

CDC Stars & Stripes pony grille emblem
Pros- something different on the front end.
Cons- not a lot of visual impact. After 30k miles it had several rock chips. Not cheap.

Sequential lights kit (don't remember who made it, was an eBay purchase)
Pros- worked like a charm. Cheap.
Cons- took a while to wire it up (wasn't plug-and-play). The modules were very sloppily covered with goopy sealant, very unsightly. They were hidden behind the trim panels, but still!

V6 to GT "upgrade"
Pros- faster! Handles better! Sounds like a million bucks!
Cons- slightly worse gas mileage, bigger payment, practically begs the driver to go out and do some law breakin'

I moved many of the above upgrades from the sixxer to the GT. In addition, so far I've added these to the GT:

Vinyl trunk blackout
Pros- big visual impact for small cost.
Cons- challenging to install bubble free.

Taillight black trim
Pros- Way cool in conjunction with the trunk blackout!
Cons- comes in smoked acrylic, needed to be painted.

Shelby brake lever
Pros- cool stitched leather handle!
Cons- have to replace the whole dang assembly just for the handle upgrade!

CDC sequential lights
Pros- super easy installation.
Cons- not cheap. Outer lights don't flash when locking (this is no biggie, but I LOVED to watch all the lights sequence on my sixxer when locking the doors)

Street Scenes ducktail
Pros- looks good in pictures
Cons- takes too long to ship (still waiting! )
Attached Thumbnails The DOWNSIDE of your mods...-p8120003.jpg  
Old 8/23/06, 04:34 AM
Cobra Member

I don't have too many mods but,

Go faster mods...

SLP loud mouth axle backs.

Pros: Tips look fantastic and beefy, best looking around IMHO, sound is amazing! the price was right when they were $220 shipped. Fast, easy install.

Cons: Sounds like I'm trying to challenge everyone when taking off from a light. Parking at my new place puts me 5 feet from sleeping neighbors...

AEM intake.

Pros: Looks cool and unique. The dry cone filter is very nice. Came with tb spacer and a sturdy heat shield. Adds a bit of bass to the exhaust and possibly makes it a tad louder. California smog legal!

Cons: Costly and probably doesn't make as much power as other brands in the price range.

SCT x-calibrator 2, loaded with Dougs Bamachips tunes.

Pros: Ease of use. Imediate and unexpected performance increase. Perfect throttle response. Chirping tires through third gear in an automatic. Peace of mind that my A/F is correct, even though the AEM claims to not need a tune. Ability to reset check engine light and check codes if ever I should throw one.

Cons: Although I feel it was worth the money, it's an expensive mod for me.

Looks prettier mods:

Konig beyonds rims.

Pros: Look oem on this car, get alot of compliments. They look great! Very afordable.

Cons: They have the brand name on the lip and a logo on center cap.

BFG gforce tires.

Pros: Handle nice, ride nice and look fantastic!

Cons: Rears are $280 each! Road noise can get really bad on some stretches. Think exhaust drone mixed with worms munching your brain, thats what I experianced just outside of vegas on the 15 for probably 20 miles!

Ford OEM engine cover.

Pros: Looks great! Cheap compared to the MW ones and look far better. Have a cool aluminum pony adheared to it. Nice quality. 5 minutes to install.

Cons: No one ever gets to see it.

Overall I'm very happy with everything I've bought for my car and have no regrets. Working on a tight budget you have to be very selective on what you get.
Old 8/23/06, 10:58 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by BuzzyStang05
rags,
was that a pypes off road x? Or their new street legal x?

the offroad x
Old 8/23/06, 11:10 AM
Cobra Member

The Flux Capacitor keeps cutting out on me!!!
Old 8/23/06, 02:51 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by LEO_06GT
FLOWMASTERS
PRO: SOUNDS BETTER
CON: NOT QUITE INSIDE THE CAR ANYMORE AND WILL NEVER SOUND LIKE THE SN95 STANGS.
That's actually a good thing, IMO. When the SN95's and the modular OHC motor came out, everyone was saying the didn't like the way they sounded and you could never get one to sound like a 5.0L pushrod motor.

Personally I think once you put a set of SLP's on an '05+ you get a true old school muscle car sound. Whereas all the others give it what I consider a more modern, almost exotic, muscle car sound.

Quick Reply: The DOWNSIDE of your mods...