2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Do Not Buy from Route 104 Ford in Oswego, NY

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/04, 11:06 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
A dealer and his practice's represents an entire company .A person only represents himself .Thats the differance.
Old 10/7/04, 11:16 AM
dke
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe that a dealer represents the entire company; meaning that dealership. But he can't represent Ford (unless it is a company owned dealership).

As far as I know there are pretty strict anti-trust laws in place that state that Ford (or other companies) cannot price fix. That's why prices are "suggested". (I know this applies to computers and price-fixing). There are ways that manufacturers try to get around it, but it doesn't work well. And face it, if dealers have freedom, more often it will work in your favor (discounting), than it will against you (premiums).
Old 10/7/04, 11:58 AM
GT Member

I can't believe how many people are mad at dealers for selling their mustangs over MSRP or invoice. Seriously, even Brad is mad. I don't think its correct to call a dealer rude for making money. A dealership exsist to make a profit, not to be a charity. Get over it people. No one forced anyone to push the bid button. They did it on their own.
Old 10/7/04, 12:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by M-squared@October 7, 2004, 1:01 PM
I can't believe how many people are mad at dealers for selling their mustangs over MSRP or invoice. Seriously, even Brad is mad. I don't think its correct to call a dealer rude for making money. A dealership exsist to make a profit, not to be a charity. Get over it people. No one forced anyone to push the bid button. They did it on their own.
I dont get it either
Old 10/7/04, 12:07 PM
The Man... keeping you down.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, do you people who are "confused" about why we are mad at dealers have the same feeling if everyone started selling gas $1 or $2 higher? Hey, they have to make money right? :shrug:
Old 10/7/04, 12:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I agree that the dealer can do what he wants. If nobody buys then he will lower his price. That's what it's all about. Supply and demand. Currently there is a HUGE demand and no supply so some dealers are trying to make an extra buck, put up a sheet and inform people of those dealers. I wouldn't buy from them at that price and it's possible that some of the salesmen are crooked. You have to make that determination on your own. Afterall, they did make 1 guy happy, didn't they. B) B) B)
Lets get a post up with dealers/locations and above/below or at msrp.
Old 10/7/04, 12:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Eh, I disagree. The dealers that did this with the T-Bird (in NJ they wanted as much as 60k for one), caused the car to be a failure. Noone bought them at those ridiculous prices, and they piled up. In the end, it's Ford that gets hurt.
Old 10/7/04, 12:45 PM

I agee with harleybill about putting up a list of dealers trying to sell OVER msrp. I personally have no use for these guys that even try this
crap. I believe they deserve all the bad PR that they can get.

Last week I went to look at a Chrysler 300c with my parents. Our local
dealer had them priced for 2k over msrp. I asked how much they were
dicounting them and the sales guy said none. Its 2k over msrp or nothing. He said they were limited and in high demand. I just smiled and said fine, we will go elsewhere and shop and look on the internet for the best deal.

He called later that week and gave my parents a pretty good chunk off
the msrp not to mention the 2k overcharge. They in a nice way told the
guy that they were not interested in doing business with dealerships that
try to take atvantage of a uninformed consumer and said they were still
looking but not buying from him. The dealership shot their credibility
all to #### with them.

Now, for supply and demand. The 05 GT will be a mass produced car.
I bet Ford will sell at least 150K of them this year. My guess is that
after 60 days or so of the first one hitting the dealerships supply will not
be an issue at all. Im sure demand is very high right now (especially on
the GT) but for those who shop around and are patient will have a lot
of extra cash in their pockets. I also sure a lot of you guys that have them ordered have secured good deals and have respectable dealers.
Good for you.

This whole fiasco reminds me when the mach 1's came out. Some paid
over msrp, some paid msrp, some paid a heck of a lot less. I could not
deal with any local dealers in my area. They all wanted at LEAST msrp.
To make a long story short, I was patient, paid 6K under msrp, bought
a plane ticket to Tampa Fl and drove that mustang 900 miles to get home. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Sorry for being so long winded but I dont want to see any guys or gals
who really want one of these cars getting screwed. I wish like heck I
could afford one.
Old 10/7/04, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Plus lets not forget that this particular dealer (104) had two separate auctions with the same VIN # advertised.

I have no problem with them making money, that is why the MSRP is ABOVE their cost.

I did however email the high bidder and refer him/her to this sight to do some research prior to dropping the $$ unnecessarily.
Old 10/7/04, 12:56 PM
GT Member

Mustangs are going to be a hot item until every dealership has them in stock. So right now dealerships are able to ask more and potentially receive more. In a few months most, if not all, will be selling them for invoice and less than MSRP. It is the same now as it was a few years ago with the PT Cruisers. Back then I bought a PT for green slip for under 20K, took it to the auction and sold it for a huge profit. Now I didn't force anyone to purchase the vehicle from me. It was just a hot item and some folks who could afford it want to have it now. I just happen to be the person who supplied it to them. So am I a bad guy for making a profit?
Old 10/7/04, 01:19 PM
dke
Bullitt Member

RE: M-squared.

Exactly. Suppose you have a piece of art, or some other collectable. Should you only be able to sell it at sticker forever? What about some valuable coin? "That's only worth $1.00, even if it is a 1800's gold coin". At action, things go for what people are willing to pay. It is utlimate capitalism.

The T-Bird didn't fail because a few dealers jacked up the price. It was a car that only appealed to a few people.

And there's a difference between gas or gouging. If someone takes advantage of a tragedy or others misfortunes, that's a bit cruddy. And can be a crime as it is usery. (It is like charging over 25% interest). But if you buy something on your credit card, at 18%, and I'm going to get a personal loan at 5%, that's just me being smart, and you not. The same with these e-bayers. If all the dealers got together and price-fixed and said they'd only sell at $3,000 over invoice, I'd get the pitchfork and torches (or sick the government on them). But if one dealer can sell a couple at that price because he got early allotments, etc., I don't care. The price isn't going to hold there, and you pay to be first on your block.
Old 10/7/04, 01:40 PM
GT Member

If all dealers got together and did that I think Ford, or whatever company, would just raise the MSRP. But thats just my guess.

Gas is a different item, I believe. When it comes to a car a person has the ability to spend $1-$1,000,000 for a used car/new car. When it comes to gas a person has the ability to spend close to $2/gal. People need cars and people need gas. They have ability to control what they spend on a car, they don't have much flexibility when it comes to gas. Gas is inelastic because no matter the cost people have to have it. So you could say the same for a few mustangs on ebay. Because the dealerships are charging more and people are still buying them. So it makes them inelastic as well. However, I do believe that the mustang will be/is elastic. We just have a few rare cases right now of people paying a premium. It wont last, never does.

Bottom line is this. A car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

I agree with a lot of the ideas I have been reading on here. I just don't agree with calling a dealer a crook because he offered a car at a premium and someone bought it. Thats just wrong and shows the ignorance of some people.
Old 10/7/04, 01:49 PM
Cobra Member

I was a little concerned when the new Mustang was announced and went by the dealer to discuss the price. He told me there was no way the dealership would sell them over sticker due to the failure of the TBird. I was relieved to hear they would accept X plan even at the start. Look at how many Pontiac owners are unhappy about getting burned on the markup on the GTO.

Lets face it, new cars are generally a bad financial investment and you need to shop around for the best deal. On the other hand, if dealers want to charge over stickar and people are willing to pay the price just to be first to have something that few others have, then they are welcome to that position and the thinner wallet.
Old 10/7/04, 01:53 PM
GT Member

RE: lodom

Exactly