2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

DISGUSTING

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/05, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if you want to put Saleen stickers, Roush stickers on Burger King stickers on your car go ahead. It your car.
Old 12/16/05, 05:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by Martimus@December 16, 2005, 5:03 PM
Sorry Richard but RICE, in this context, is an unfortunate racial slur that was origionally intended to reference a JAPANESE car with phony and/or misleading mod's or badges. I understand your perspective but I can't agree with you. In my opinion this is NOT by any stretch of the imagination RICE. I personally like the thought that it must be "wheat" or better still "oats"!!

But if you truly believe that simply changing the badging on a Mustang constitutes RICE than I submit to you that every Mustang that has its stock badges replaced with the badges of any model Mustang other than itself (this includes V-6's and GT's badging up and GT's badging down) must also be RICE.

#1. this isn't a racial slur. FACT: Rice (the food) is popular in Japan.

#2. call it whatever you want....rice, wheat, whole grain, etc....I don't care. Its still misrepresentation. "Phony or misleading mods or badges" as you put it, and proved my point.

#3. "every Mustang that has its stock badges replaced with the badges of any model Mustang other than itself (this includes V-6's and GT's badging up and GT's badging down) must also be RICE." I totally agree with you 100%. yes, this does include the GT500 and GT300 badges that people do/did.
Old 12/16/05, 05:20 PM
Bullitt Member

And old man Shelby had nothing to do with the 07 Shelby, so is it disgusting? Its Ford making some big bucks on past fame. But its stil a kick hiney car.

I think the term "ricing" most likly refers to the oversized stupid look cans hanging off the back of a 4 banger. And over kill on the plastic ground effects. etc.... (darn filter)....
Old 12/16/05, 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

It's funny you bring up Shelby, when he himself has claimed that what's important in a car is not the name, but if the car lives up to that name. I think with this thing packing serious horsepower it gives it some credence to pay tribute to the "cobra" name.
Old 12/16/05, 05:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by The Deviant One@December 16, 2005, 8:27 PM
It's funny you bring up Shelby, when he himself has claimed that what's important in a car is not the name, but if the car lives up to that name. I think with this thing packing serious horsepower it gives it some credence to pay tribute to the "cobra" name.
My point exactely. Call it a COBRA if you want, put a SC onboard and rebadge, who cares. Its a great car have some fun....
Old 12/16/05, 05:31 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@December 16, 2005, 6:13 PM
...then you aren't really a mustang fanatic then.
Dont' be so quick to judge

You aren't either, if I'm reading these definitions correctly;

fanatic: "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion"

uncritical: "not critical : lacking in discrimination"

I don't mind when people make their cars look how they want them to look. Sure, I don't want false advertising going on and people getting swindled, but is that what's going on here? Or are you just angry at people badging their cars?

I just don't understand what upsets people so much about badging? If the person labels the car something its not, then they won't be able to back it up. Is it human nature? Do people get angry that they paid for a GT, and some V6 looks just like it for a lot less? Why are G.T. 500 and G.T. 350 stripes and badges I've seen on other member's cars just accepted while others aren't? If I haddpen to run across someone wearing fake Oakely's should I slap them off their face? I'm just curious.

Sorry if my comments 'disgusted' you, all I meant was that I would not rag on your car if you did something to it that I didn't agree with. It's your car, who am I to stop you?
Old 12/16/05, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

HAHA! Talk about bringing up an old subject!
You better have your flame suit on.:flame2:
Old 12/16/05, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by TexaStang@December 15, 2005, 7:03 PM
You've put more work into your car than many 5.0 or MM&FF magazine story cars, both you and Vegasjay. I'd love to see either one in a future issue.
Thank you for the complement Mike.

I try to stay out of these topic's because I don't see the point in getting into internet arguments... I like to learn from this site and help others. I have made my view on this subject known in the past so I will keep it short.

What would be wrong IMO is someone badging a car as something different and trying to sell it as such. That is wrong and illegal in some capacity I would think. Other than that WTF?? I don't understand why people get so worked up about what others do to THIER cars...Who is being hurt?? Nobody...

Now my personal feelings are if you do change badging you better be able to back it up. As far as my car, yes I am very proud of her. I have done most of the work myself including building a 1 piece aluminum drive-shaft and plan on doing much more. A mean, big cam, 5.4 liter naturally aspirated monster is in the works right now...I have raced quite a few older Cobras and have held my own very well. Is my car rice? I think if some one was to say that to me in person, I would have to throw them a beating...With all the blood sweat and tears in my car, I couldn't let that comment go. Most people that have seen it have very positive things to say about her, so it hasn't come up yet.

As far as the car in question is concerned it's not my style...Can it back up the badging? I would have to say yes. So it's O.K. in my book.

I would really like to see my Pony in a mag some day. That would be very cool but if it never happened that's cool too, because I love my Pony and in the end that's all that really matters.

BTW: Mustang Fanatics re-badge too...
Old 12/16/05, 06:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome job on your car Justin. It's probably one of my favorites and yes, like this car in question, your car also has a lot of hard work put into it and it does have what it takes to back up its badging. Good job!
Old 12/16/05, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@December 16, 2005, 5:22 PM
#1. this isn't a racial slur. FACT: Rice (the food) is popular in Japan.
I feel the need to qualify my words here... and apologize for not writing them quite the way I had intended. When I indicated the the term "RICE" was a racial slur I was referring to its origins not specifically your words Richard. As such I apologize for my error.
Old 12/16/05, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by sodaman@December 16, 2005, 8:15 AM
not rice at all, just bad cobra badging.
Agreed I like the front chin spoiler and the rear treatment.
Old 12/17/05, 01:19 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@December 16, 2005, 12:22 PM
Lets put a V6 with GT badges (or cobra badges) in MM&FF now.
So does it make it rice is one put's a V6 pony on sides or V6 pony badge on rear... even though it's a GT...

Or perhaps it makes it rice if one puts dark plastic over rear light...

Old 12/17/05, 01:22 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ok

the car: uhhh not rice! now i dont agree with the SVT badges, but thats about it

as an avid II fan, AND owner, i have to say i find the large side cobra letters and the rear decklid script immensly charming. the color combo is great, as are the white wheels. they really complement the white stripes. the rear end is an absolute work of art in my mind, except for one thing. if this is supposed to be a tribute to the cobra II, i say lose the "GT" faux gas cap. it'd be better looking with the pony cap from a V6 car. and heck 500rwhp? jesus, that just made all those exterior mods ever sweeter.

if i had an 05 to go with MY II (and more mod money to go along with it), i guarantee that this would not be the only car of its kind. id probably build something identical to it, with the exception of wheels (as good as they are, i like AR Sprints) and maybe some rear window louvers. other than that, its got everythign i want already i love nearly everything about this car. its right up there with the MRT Interceptor, MRT 6T6, GT-R concept and Steeda, and VegasJay's as one of my favorite 05 stangs.

i really dont see whats up with calling the decals rice. i mean i can understand not liking the cobra things on the side, but is that really rice? SVT things maybe, but not the cobras. i mean c/mon, first of all there IS no cobra for 05 and hes not advertising it as such. second of all, think back to all the REAL ricers we are forced to gaze upon everyday. vinyle purple flames taking up the entire side of a yellow car and sponsor decals from companies whose parts arent eve on the car, unpoainted mis miatched bodykits, wheels too big for the cars suspension, fart cans that can be heard blocks away, sounds systems that can be heard from farther than THAT, foot high spoilers providing un-needed downforce as the car is usualy FWD and has absolutely NO performance mods whatsoever. THAT is rice: extreme amounts of "flash" and "show" with not an ounce of extra "go" to carry that dead weight around

he is saying he would have liked it if this had been an 05 cobra. he wanted to show the world what HE thought a SVT S197 would/should look like. all this flaming is useless. its a very well excecuted car. not everyone's tastes as we can all see, but it is nowhere near the domain of rice. sorry, thats just how it is

and i agree with him.

:ranting: [/rantoff]

and just to be an annoying...

Old 12/17/05, 01:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally posted by tom_vilsack@December 17, 2005, 1:22 AM

Or perhaps it makes it rice if one puts dark plastic over rear light...

I always know the stupid and illogical have been defeated when they have to result to personal attacks. thank you for proving my point. you made my night!
Old 12/17/05, 02:01 AM
Cobra R Member

Was not attacking you...was just trying to make a point with your own car...you don't see anyone attacking your mods....
Old 12/17/05, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@December 17, 2005, 4:10 AM
my definition all along (of rice) has been badging or calling your car something that it isn't. not different spoilers or (in my case) tail light covers?
So, this is not rice?:
It's just a different spoiler.
Old 12/17/05, 12:38 PM

I've seen worse. Not too bad overall, really. Has the obligatory fake hood scoop and the "Cobra" on the side stripes are pretty silly, but it does have some genuine meat under the skin to back up the peacock feathers.
Old 12/17/05, 04:16 PM
Cobra Member

I love the way the car looks... It has a lot of the elements of the old mustang 2 cobras... If ford would have made that car I would have bought it in a heart beat... I hate the fake badging but otherwise the car is a beaut.
Old 12/18/05, 02:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Would anyone happen to know what wheels those are? I wouldn't mind a set for a fox (if they would fit)
Old 12/18/05, 07:06 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by SurfnSoCal@December 16, 2005, 3:03 AM
I have a buddy who does work for MM&FF. February's issue of MM&FF will be featuring this gem of an 05-

http://www.stangnet.com/2005-Mustang/2005-...tang-Cobra.html
this is the worst case of rice I have seen...and I can't believe a magazine like MM&FF would do a feature article on it. Please write to MM&FF and ask them to not do this. This guy put SVT stickers on his car...along with COBRA stickers.

It's disgusting.
I have to disagree with you about this. Not rice at all...

1) There is no giant wing
2) no BS tribal graphics....
3) Front spoiler actually is off the ground
4) Rear spoiler is lower than 8"
5) I don't see any neon, and it the paintjob is mostly one color
6) For me, the hood scoop is perfect... there, but subtle

On the down side:
1) Graphics on side tie wheels together well, but cheesy, too reminicent of the King Cobra
2) Cobra on the back is unnecessary, and spoils the symmetry
3) Silver stripes would look better than bright white, but again, they match the wheels.

A nice job, all in all.

Quick Reply: DISGUSTING