2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Difference in the '07 shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/07, 04:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference in the '07 shifter?

When I picked up the car last week, the sales guy, who had just come back from filling it up with gas, said that he really liked the shifter and it was "much better than they were." I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time - just figured he was shmoozin' me.

But the other threads I've seen about notchy shifters got me thinking. Mine is very smooth. I don't really care for the way the revs don't drop when I lift my foot off the acceclerator, but the shifting is fantastic.

Does anyone know if something indeed changed in the '07s or do I just happen to have one that's smoother than others?

Someone also told me that there was some change to the structure of the '07. Anyone heard that?
Old 3/4/07, 04:09 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davisinla
When I picked up the car last week, the sales guy, who had just come back from filling it up with gas, said that he really liked the shifter and it was "much better than they were." I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time - just figured he was shmoozin' me.

But the other threads I've seen about notchy shifters got me thinking. Mine is very smooth. I don't really care for the way the revs don't drop when I lift my foot off the acceclerator, but the shifting is fantastic.

Does anyone know if something indeed changed in the '07s or do I just happen to have one that's smoother than others?

Someone also told me that there was some change to the structure of the '07. Anyone heard that?
Hey, Paul. To my knowledge the '07 shifter hasn't been fundamentally changed. It's possible that what you are noticing are simply tweaks and refinements in the assembly process, either in manufacturing the shifter unit, or installing it into the cars.

As to the revs holding under deceleration, you know that a good aftermarket tune will eliminate that, right?
Old 3/4/07, 04:10 PM
Cobra R Member

i dont think they are actually any different.

my stock one looks very much like mavericks stocker from his 05. The only thing may be the shift **** in which the 07 with premium trim has an aluminum shift **** that probably weighs more than the standard one
Old 3/4/07, 04:10 PM
GT Member

I picked up my '07 the last week of August and it shifts much smoother than my older '03, but you will find there are still issues in sometimes missing 3rd, and going DOWN through the gears is not that smooth. Just my experience.
Old 3/4/07, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
As to the revs holding under deceleration, you know that a good aftermarket tune will eliminate that, right?
Yup...just waiting to do a couple of minor mods before I order the tune (got my GTAs on order).

Speaking of tunes, which one do you recommend? FYI, from my perspective, the only think I really want to address is that rev holding thing.
Old 3/4/07, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
The only thing may be the shift **** in which the 07 with premium trim has an aluminum shift **** that probably weighs more than the standard one
I like the shift ****, but on cold mornings, it's like grabbing a giant ice cube...plus it stays cold for my entire commute! (Think I'd look to geeky with driving gloves?)
Old 3/4/07, 04:22 PM
Closet American

Yup...just waiting to do a couple of minor mods before I order the tune (got my GTAs on order).

Speaking of tunes, which one do you recommend? FYI, from my perspective, the only think I really want to address is that rev holding thing.
Well, I think any of the high-profile ones are pretty good. Many here swear by Bamachips, but personally I'm going with the Diablosport Predator & Steeda tune, as it's one my dealership themselves are willing to install without giving me any warranty grief.

You don't need a custom tune (that is to say anything beyond a "canned" tune) unless you plan fairly extensive mods, i.e. superchargers, etc. That's one piece of advice my Ford mechanic gave me. He does a lot of mods and is very knowledgeable on this subject.
Old 3/4/07, 04:25 PM
Closet American

I like the shift ****, but on cold mornings, it's like grabbing a giant ice cube...plus it stays cold for my entire commute! (Think I'd look to geeky with driving gloves?)
So you've got that "billet" aluminum shifter ****, huh?

Well, if it's cold for you in LA, I can only imagine what it will be like here during winters in the Great White North.
Old 3/4/07, 05:46 PM
V6 Member

I don't really care for the way the revs don't drop when I lift my foot off the acceclerator, but the shifting is fantastic.
When I first got my '06 I was pivoting my foot upwards because I thought I was resting it on the gas pedal when I went to shift. I got a couple of nasty cramps too
Old 3/4/07, 05:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 1meanZ
When I first got my '06 I was pivoting my foot upwards because I thought I was resting it on the gas pedal when I went to shift. I got a couple of nasty cramps too
Did you fix it with a tune, or did you get used to it?
Old 3/4/07, 08:05 PM
Cobra R Member

i have to say a bamachips xcal2 is a great piece. i ahve changed over to a hurst shifter with the white ball/ chrome stick set up so my cold shifter is a thing of the past. makes a sweet new paper weight though.
Old 3/5/07, 08:01 AM
Team Mustang Source

(Think I'd look to geeky with driving gloves?)
There was a thread on the subject of driving gloves awhile back. As I recall, the majority of posters would answer your question with a yes.

I personally wish I had seat heaters for the recent 35-degree mornings here in NorCal, so I'm certainly not going to hate on you for wearing gloves. I'm guessing those of you reading this in the Frozen North are having a good laugh about now. But, hey, it's cold for us!
Old 3/5/07, 08:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by IWantMyNewGT
I personally wish I had seat heaters for the recent 35-degree mornings here in NorCal, so I'm certainly not going to hate on you for wearing gloves. I'm guessing those of you reading this in the frozen north are having a good laugh about now. But, hey, it's cold for us!
I'll admit it...I'm a wimp. I've used my seat heater on some of these cool LA mornings. I'm actually in the foothills north of LA and winter mornings in the high 30s and 40s are not uncommon. Those leather seats are mighty cool after sitting outside all night, and this old toosh doesn't mind a quick warm-up!
Old 3/5/07, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

He may have been talking about the last gen (99-04) cars. You needed arms like a gorilla in order to reach the shifter in those car.
Old 3/5/07, 09:54 AM

Try that in -40C In Edmonton. Geeky or not I wear black leather driving gloves. It's that or your hand actually freezes to the shift ****.
Old 3/5/07, 10:23 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by EdmStang
Try that in -40C In Edmonton.

My heart goes out to you buddy!
Old 3/5/07, 10:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EdmStang
Try that in -40C In Edmonton. Geeky or not I wear black leather driving gloves. It's that or your hand actually freezes to the shift ****.
+1

The coldest temps we've seen here in MI near the Motor City is about -15F with winchill at -30F (-40C = -40F). I've had my gloves stick to bare metal in the past, so that should give you an idea of how cold it gets.

I'm using the stock base shifter (black plastic/rubber). I have an IUP shift **** (fake leather wrapping) ready to be installed, but I like the base shifter more.
Old 3/8/07, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
So you've got that "billet" aluminum shifter ****, huh?

Well, if it's cold for you in LA, I can only imagine what it will be like here during winters in the Great White North.
that why i got my changed as part of the deal, when i bought my 07. I have the 06 shifte with the middle silver plate.

yup...again the ford guys just weren't thinking straight on this idea.