2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

Delays with Mustangs (autos)

Search this Thread

Old 11/5/04, 06:41 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't want to double post this since I put my original post in the 'Latest BS from my dealer' thread - but I am sure people are really eager to get their hands on their ordered cars (I know I am) - so since I might have info on a cause of the latest delay, I figured I would throw it up here for you Forum folk.

My original post:
Through happenstance, I have found myself with a little 'inside info' here that might answer your question - I can't go into too many detailed specifics but I will tell you what I know (and this is from a reliable source - someone in the company):

Mustangs -automatics - have STOPPED on the line - and have been for at least a day or three - there is apparently an issue with a 'clamp' or a 'clip' dealing with the auto tranny and they have a small group of cars (40? 100?... more?) that they are pulling back INTO the line to FIX (add/replace the part) and then of course, there are loads of cars backed up BEHIND those cars still on the line until those earlier ones are fixed (I heard the phrase 'the line has been stopped'). I heard the term 'recall' used because FORD wants to get that part issue taken care of. As far as I know, this is not some design defect kind of thing - it is a part that was left out or missed dealing specifically with the automatics.

I think some dealers might be in the same boat as you guys - no clue what is up. Maybe some of the guys that DO know, don't want you to panic and cancel your sale.

I am one of those people who almost NEVER buy something in its first year or manufacture/incarnation due to just this thing - there hasn't been an established 'break in' period where all the ins and outs are learned and kinks worked out - especially on the MASS manufacturing end of things. I made an exception in this case because I am so nuts about the new Mustang, and from all reviews and testing, it is just an amazing car. Truthfully, if all we have had to worry about so far is a 'missed part' on one version of the car, I am going to take that with a grain of salt.

I would just advise folks to try and be patient - TRUST me - I understand your mania because I have posted on here about MY obsession right after I joined the site and I am DYING to get my hands on my brand new Pony. In a big way.
Old 11/5/04, 06:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burke,
I don't know who your source is, but I highly doubt Ford (or any other car maker) would stop the assembly line and re-insert completed cars just to replace a "clamp". If you stop and think about it, that makes no sense at all. The line has all kinds of automated machines to assemble that car. They are not designed to dis-assemble the car or replace components. That would be done offline.

The Boss Hog (Just my opinion . . . . B) )
Old 11/5/04, 03:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

True, Boss Hog, We haven't stopped the line or re-inserted complete cars to fix them. We are still building GT autos. and mans. at regular rate, in fact we've begun to ramp up to our projected full rate and mix. If its true that there is a prob. w/ the auto., it'll be fixed off-line and them shipped. We've probably not been able to repair as many as we would like lately b/c of our extended weeks here lately. Not as many have been volunteering for the extra o/t since we've been having regular production on Saturdays lately. B)
Old 11/5/04, 05:00 PM

John do you know anything about thecars sitting in the lot? Heard there is a little over 3000 GTs that ford is holding is this true? Heard it was quality, bad welds, stuck in the back of lot blocked in by other cars, train workers on strike? Any info would be good to hear. Thanks
Old 11/5/04, 05:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by 2MustangJohn@November 5, 2004, 4:09 PM
True, Boss Hog, We haven't stopped the line or re-inserted complete cars to fix them. We are still building GT autos. and mans. at regular rate, in fact we've begun to ramp up to our projected full rate and mix. If its true that there is a prob. w/ the auto., it'll be fixed off-line and them shipped. We've probably not been able to repair as many as we would like lately b/c of our extended weeks here lately. Not as many have been volunteering for the extra o/t since we've been having regular production on Saturdays lately. B)
Are saying then that Mustang are leaving the assembly line with problems?
Old 11/5/04, 05:59 PM
GT Member

Has anyone heard anything about the steering gear?

~~ Paul