GT

Base GT vs. premium GT model

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/15, 04:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, here's my dilemma. There's a 5k difference between these two models with what I want in each one. They each are auto and have the have 3:55 gears. It's what's available right now, I can't really build new because I am trading in my 2014 V6, which will take more of a hit if I have to wait until October (they have a buyer for my car now). Is the premium worth that extra 5k? On a side note, my 2014 is not a premium. I could care less about the leather, but what about the bigger screen? What about the driving modes?

Thanks for the feedback - I'm hoping to do this within the next week!!
Old 7/15/15, 07:35 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

This is probably a question only you can answer. I went premium because the regular interior looked horrible to me, especially the plastic steering wheel. In the 13/14, even the base model has a leather wheel. I believe track apps is only on premium. I might be wrong. That's a neat feature but I'm not sure it's worth 5k. In the end, I'd sit in them and the one that feels like him should be the one that's comes back with you.
Old 7/15/15, 07:44 PM
Bullitt Member

The track apps are in both....just the four driving modes are missing
Old 7/16/15, 04:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The premium to me was a must have.
Old 7/16/15, 05:27 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I like bells and whistles, so I'd go premium, especially for a daily driver. If it's meant to be a track car that just sees occasional use on the street, I'd go base to keep the weight down.
Old 7/16/15, 07:03 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Are you willing to pay $5k extra for goodies that don't make the car go any faster?
Old 7/16/15, 07:07 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I'm glad I didnt get a premium. My car is a base GT with Brembos, Sync, and power seat. That's all. I got my Mustang for $28k when I have friends who paid in the 40's for their premium GT that the leather is already starting to crack in. That's why I hate leather, it gets all cracked and wrinkled, almost no matter what you do. Their cars aren't any faster than mine. I also didn't need a navigation screen....I have a smartphone for that. Only thing I hate is the base stereo. Its pretty bad. But I can upgrade that myself and do it cheaper than buying a premium.
Old 7/16/15, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

I just pulled the trigger on a '15 with the special edition package. It only ended being $2250 more - this is my second Mustang with this dealership
Old 7/16/15, 04:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, things surely changed in a few hours! We went through 4 different Mustangs.....2 special edition premiums and 2 regular premiums and nothing was available and one was a verbal agreement from this morning, but they sold it (the swapping dealership). Finally, we found a stripped base GT AND IT IS AVAILABLE! The sales manager already left for day (other dealership), so they weren't sure if there were any pending sales. They will call back first thing in the morning. This is exhausting....hoping for a great phone tomorrow morning!
Old 7/16/15, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

completely stripped? I'd at least get brembos!! if the stock brakes are anything like the S197 stock brakes, they're kinda dangerous for how much power the car makes
Old 7/16/15, 07:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I can do the brakes afterwards, but nothing out there with a brake package.
Old 7/17/15, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

dang, that really sucks. I don't know how much the Brembo option is...but I'm sure its a LOT cheaper than upgrading via aftermarket: http://www.americanmuscle.com/2015-m...sion-kits.html

Be patient!!!
Old 7/17/15, 06:30 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

GOOD GOD MAN....DO NOT but a GT without the Brembo brakes/GT Performance package. It's DIRT cheap for all that you get:

2,495 $42 /month S4

GT Performance Package includes:

• Strut-tower Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• Heavy-Duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Brembo™ 6-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• 19” X 9” (F) 19” X9.5” (R)Gloss Black Aluminum Wheel (Summer Tires Only)
• Unique Stability Control, EPAS & ABS Tuning
• 3.73 TORSENฎ Rear Axle
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Spoiler Delete

When the GT Performance Package is ordered with the 50 Years Appearance package, the GT Performance Package wheels are included.

You can get ALL THAT for $2500 or spend $5000 on just brakes later and have to install them yourself and all that crap. Trying to prevent you from making what could be a terrible mistake.

Last edited by Coyote5-0; 7/17/15 at 06:32 AM.
Old 7/17/15, 09:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
GOOD GOD MAN....DO NOT but a GT without the Brembo brakes/GT Performance package. It's DIRT cheap for all that you get:

2,495 $42 /month S4

• Strut-tower Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• K-Brace
• 3.73 TORSENฎ Rear Axle
• Spoiler Delete

When the GT Performance Package is ordered with the 50 Years Appearance package, the GT Performance Package wheels are included.

You can get ALL THAT for $2500 or spend $5000 on just brakes later and have to install them yourself and all that crap. Trying to prevent you from making what could be a terrible mistake.
You will never do all of this work. It will cost way more than what you pay up front.
Old 7/17/15, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Gotcha! Thanks
Old 7/17/15, 05:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by tony2014mustang
Gotcha! Thanks
Just found out some bad news: the Brembos are only available with manual transmission. But you should be getting a manual transmission anyway!!
Old 7/17/15, 06:28 PM
Bullitt Member

To be honest, I drove both. It's an automatic for me.
Old 7/18/15, 01:40 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0

2,495 $42 /month S4

• Strut-tower Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar
• K-Brace
• 3.73 TORSENฎ Rear Axle
• Spoiler Delete

This! The Torsen, brakes, and radiator are worth it alone.

My only beef with the Performance Pack would be another "Track Pack" option that added beefier springs ans bars with revised damper tuning and wider better tires on to the Performance Pack.

The Performance Pack is great but it would be nice to have something bridge the GT and GT350 without waiting for or having to step into a special edition.
Old 7/27/15, 07:48 PM
Bullitt Member

I've had my '15 base GT for almost a week now and I absolutely love it. I don't listen to the radio really, so the smaller screen doesn't matter. The car drives like a dream and I love the sound of that 5.0!!! I got a great deal for my car; no complaints or buyer's remorse here! Now I just have to figure out which exhaust to go with!
Old 2/15/16, 05:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
No Performance Difference

Originally Posted by tony2014mustang
Ok, here's my dilemma. There's a 5k difference between these two models with what I want in each one. They each are auto and have the have 3:55 gears. It's what's available right now, I can't really build new because I am trading in my 2014 V6, which will take more of a hit if I have to wait until October (they have a buyer for my car now). Is the premium worth that extra 5k? On a side note, my 2014 is not a premium. I could care less about the leather, but what about the bigger screen? What about the driving modes?

Thanks for the feedback - I'm hoping to do this within the next week!!
You didn't lose anything with the Base GT. Just tell me you opp'ed for the 3.55 gears? The premium doesn't perform any better and you don't really lose the performance drive modes, It's just knowing how to access them in a base GT.

Normal mode = D Shift
Sport+ mode = S Shift + Sport steering selected
Track mode = S Shift + Sport steering selected + AdvanceTrac Sport Mode traction mode (activate by double tapping the traction button twice and you will see AdvanceTrac Sport Mode appear in the information panel).

On a Base GT, AdvanceTrac Sport Mode is available for any base GT drive mode but in a Premium model, you don't have the double tap option, it's embedded in Track mode only. Really in a premium, I don't see the point of Sport+.

AdvanceTrac Sport Mode enabled means that you will not experience any lag when you perform WOT's; the car will downshift and immediately go. With traction on, it will downshift, pause for a fraction of a second and then go.

Quick Reply: Base GT vs. premium GT model