2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

cold start

Search this Thread

Old 6/21/06, 09:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cold start

How high does your GT rev up when you start it? 2500 - cold/overnight, 2000 - sitting for half an hour.
Mine has done this since I picked it up three weeks ago. I've already been to the dealer and was told it's normal but it seems to me it's revving too high. It's also "hangin" - the engine doesn't rev down between gears for at least two seconds. Is EVERYONE else's GT like this?
Had an 01 and an 03 GT and neither of them were like this, I'D REALLY APPRECIATE ANYONE AND EVERYONE who takes the time to answer this - IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!
Old 6/22/06, 02:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Our mustang are throttle by wire.I believe its stated in the manual that it doesnt lower the rpm's right away because the sudden stop of load in the engine can cause a rich fuel mixture so for emissions it keeps the higher rpms to burn off the fuel. Someone else could probably explain it alot better then me.
Old 6/22/06, 11:46 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 126 Likes on 91 Posts
I believe Adam has it right. It is another one of the many little things Ford can do in computerized engine management to squeak up the fuel economy numbers and reduce emissions. A little thing. But, a little thing times hundreds of thousands of engines.

Ford and other manufacturers have to do these kinds of tweaks. Or stop building V8 Mustangs and such. Remember, Big Brother is watching their CASE standards and other federal requirements.
Old 6/22/06, 06:45 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for both of your replies.
I was concerned that it was something like the choke staying on constant - but my gas mileage was good... The really irritating part is when I'm cruising along all smooth, not racing but zipping through the gears AND the gear grabs the engine because it's spinning too FAST - CLUNK!!! There goes my MOJO.....
I also read in the owners manual that you HAVE to PUSH THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. After a couple of hundred miles I KNOW where the sweet spot is. And that button (which I thought was FOR engine deceleration) is quite irritating. How does this all tie in?? And what is that button for if not engine deceleration??
One other thing, I also read the part about 87 octane....

T
Got my Tri Ax in the mail today, along with UPR satin ****. Gonna drive down to JBA and pickup their axel back on Saturday!
Old 6/22/06, 07:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
A tune can fix the hangin'. It is annoying, but I've gotten used to it and sometimes can use it to my advantage. The button I think you are talking about is the start interlock. Car won't start until clutch is to the floor . Shift where you feel the sweet spot.
Old 6/22/06, 07:22 PM
V6 Member

that makes sense, thanks!

Wow, they really went CHEAP on these pedals. Working the clutch I feel the brake pedal moving around. Get down on all fours and it's ALL plastic! The accelerator (and speaker covers) remind of my "Fisher Price Days"